Hip hop was born 47 years ago today

Started by RetiredAccount, Aug 11, 2020, in Music Add to Reading List

1. lil uzi vert stan

Aug 12, 2020
    thats wild. 70s-er bronx seemed like it was the wild west on a few fronts lol.

edit, def one of those eras if i ever did coke and had a time machine like coco id want to wormhole there, see reggie jackson etc lol

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  2. icecube

icecube West Coast is the Best Coast

Aug 12, 2020
    Happy Birthday!

Mar 28, 2024
  3. Dirty F

Aug 13, 2020
    I'd love to see a site with scans of old Source magazines. I'd pay good money for a stack of Source mags from like the 1995-1999 era.

Mar 28, 2024
  4. Tone Riggz

Tone Riggz There's No Cure For Being A C*nt

Aug 13, 2020
    I might have a few left although I lost a lot of them over the years. Still have some issues of Blaze magazine, Stress magazine, early XXL. Stress was a personal favorite. They were based out of Hollis, Queens (I visited their HQ back in the day), and they focused more on Indie artists as well as respected commercial artists (at the time) like Wu, Pun, Rakim, ATCQ, etc. They were also on board with Eminem very early on. I believe one of their writers was also Em’s road manager at one point. Em thanked them in the SSLP liner notes and he was given a cover issue where he had makeup on like Alex from A Clockwork Orange. Spin magazine used the same cover photo but Stress had it first. I used to have that issue but I lost it over time.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
    Mar 28, 2024
  5. Dirty F

Aug 13, 2020
    I've seen a few Source mags from that era pop up on ebay, but it's always single issues (and some priced similar to a 12 inch LP...). If someone ever dropped like dozens of issues from the mid-late 90s in one listing I would be on that quick. Until then I might just pick up single issues that look interesting. Stress sounds cool. The fact that they focused on indie artists makes the idea of copping some back issues of that appealing to me. One of the main reasons I want to sift through old Source mags is to read about and discover artists who were bubbling under at a certain point but who no one remembers nowadays. I'm sure there are some hidden gems from my favourite era in hip hop (NY '94-'99) that can be unearthed that way...

The only mags I copped regularly were Hip Hop Connection and XXL, both when I was just getting into hip hop in 2000s. They were the only two hip hop mags that were consistently on sale over here ("The Source" would pop up on a shelf somewhere weird 2 or 3 times a year...so I copped a couple when I did see it...but no one ever stocked it regularly and anyway this was long after its golden age). Got most issues of XXL from 2004-2007 and of Hip Hop Connection 2004-2009. HHC was great - focused heavily on independent hip hop, about 80% US 20% UK. Used to have great features and interesting interviews. I need to go back through some of the HHC copies I have. I might try and cop some back issues of that too from the 90s, because I feel they'd be more interesting than the ones I have. Sad day when it closed. Nothing close to it has ever popped up again over here. And you can't speak to people under 26-27 about hip hop because they aren't interested in anything or anyone that came out before Kanye dropped Graduation...I blame the death of HHC at least partly for that...

What were you doing at Stress HQ? Did you know someone there or you just came through to check it out?

Mar 28, 2024
  6. Tone Riggz

Aug 13, 2020
    I had a friend who had connections all over Hip Hop. He knew the people at Stress. Same friend also took me to Loud, Columbia, Def Jam, Bad Boy Records when I was younger.

Mar 28, 2024
  7. Dirty F

Aug 13, 2020
    Ah man you're crazy lucky. Hanging around Loud and Def Jam in the 90s...that's some top level hip hop history right there. Did ya ever see Pun? Or meet Steve Rifkind? Or any MCs on a major in 90s? I guess they'd probs be spending more time in the studio or at home than in the label offices...
    That friend sounds like a top connection. Did he work in the industry himself? Is it possible I've heard of him? If you dont want to name drop him I get that too.

Mar 28, 2024
  8. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Aug 13, 2020
    Man we need some kind of #toneriggzstories thread or something u got so d--- much interesting stories to tell for real.

Mar 28, 2024
  9. Tone Riggz

Aug 13, 2020
    I met Prodigy at Loud and a bunch of behind the scenes people at the label but I can't remember their names. They were trying to bring him in that first time I visited but he was on tour. I've met Fat Joe and Armageddon over the years but never got to meet Pun. I met Groovey Lew (famous Hip Hop stylist) at Bad Boy. We got kicked out of Def Jam. My friend did some writing for Stress and Urban Latino magazine. He interviewed D-Dot/Madd Rapper for Urban Latino at Columbia Records, around the time "How To Rob" came out . I was at that interview. My friend also grew up with Black Rob and I met him back then. I imagine he still has connections but I don't know to what extent. I haven't spoken to him in some time and label staff are always changing.

Mar 28, 2024
  10. Dirty F

Aug 14, 2020
    Nice. How'd you end up getting kicked out of Def Jam lmao

Mar 28, 2024