Why isn't Jay-Z respected worldwide like Eminem and Tupac are?

Started by Kujaku67, Sep 23, 2020, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Chaotic Progress

Chaotic Progress NEW EM - APRIL 5th.

Sep 24, 2020
    I've listened to most his work. I am saying for the average listener and to the OPs question... I think this is the answer. Isn't about just skill here but how much people feel the artist... Em Pac and Ye all had emotive delivery and styles - that's clearly IT, the smoking gun thing they all have in common.

Jay never did. So I think less people worldwide 'felt' him - Just based on sound. You cant feel through analysis, it's visceral.

Closest he got to that I think commercially was 'Hard Knock Life', and that was a worldwide hit. But the feel from that song comes much more from the beat, hook, overall song. Of course his rapping is great but it isn't emotive, just sounds good.

Then let's look to another rapper which is respected globally like the OP is saying with Em n Pac... = Kendrick. Again, what he has in common is the emotive delivery. He makes you feel him, regardless of what he's rapping about. That's why it's resonating with more people everywhere, even primarily non-English speaking countries.

Not a comment on how good or bad he is, or about my opinion on him, just analysing it from the outside in, this seems like the reason to me.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2020
    KMurda and Mothrfckr like this.
    KMurda and Mothrfckr like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  2. BlueWorldOrder

Sep 25, 2020
    I dont either lol. Most of my friends and quite a bit of my family listen to mostly rap and I dont think any are fans of Jay Z. Or if they are I never hear them bump his music or talk about him.

I agree that he gets overlooked a bit. Not sure if its disrespect or what? Maybe he doesn't have a cult like part of his fan base like Em and Pac do which make it seem like hes not talked about much? Idk.

CSA likes this.
    CSA likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  3. zukayoku

Sep 27, 2020
    Can you leak Detox Truly?
    #getstrap#POWER#Starzgettheapp#Bransoncognac#lecheminduroi#AbcForLife#Fofty

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  4. CSA

CSA Architect

Sep 27, 2020
    True. I think it's a fact. I don't know any Jay Z fans neither. Actually, there are Pac fans, huge amount of Em fans, everybody used to be a huge 50 fan back in 00s and there is Drake which nobody is actually a real fan of but there are many people who loves whenever he drops a single. So maybe he has fans after all. I have never seen a Jay solo song or album going good on any list in my country nor anybody callin' themselves Jay fans. Sure, hip hop heads must love him but he is not much of a mainstream in Europe compared to guys like Em or Drake...

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  5. DKC

DKC hank trill

Sep 27, 2020
    what song are you looking for

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  6. 831's Finest

831's Finest West Side Gentleman

Sep 27, 2020
    Jay-Z is, it just took longer for him to get international respect due to lack of touring outside the US. Snoop, Dr. Dre Eminem and 50 Cent are more talked about out there because they toured more. Jay-Z has not flown across the Atlantic as much as Dre's affiliates have and there's many other artists who put a lot more time out there than Hov has as well.

Kujaku67 and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  7. Spider Man

Spider Man With the hyphen

Sep 27, 2020
    Because his most played songs on radio and television worldwide are his pop songs like Empire State Of Mind, Run This Town, and Crazy In Love. A lot of people put him into the "pop rapper" box and never check out his better works.

Mar 29, 2024
  8. Neppert

Sep 27, 2020
    Lol I think Nicki Minaj may be mentioned more than Jay over here... Especially by young people. Such a shame.

Michael Myers likes this.
    Michael Myers likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  9. aleeex1923

Sep 27, 2020
    Well if most of them can say with a straight face that Europe capital is Paris and that London is a great country anything is possible lol.
    And to stay on topic, OP is 100% right Jay-z doesn't even come close to the respect Em and 2pac get outside the US, which is sad.

Mar 29, 2024
  10. KMurda

Sep 28, 2020
    Because he doesn’t have much of a personality. Absolutely great, potentially top 5 all time with classic albums, but he’s the Kawhi Leonard of rap. Major talent, but the guy is a robot.

Tupac drew people in with his persona and the messages he was trying to get across.

Eminem had a personality at one point but also a ton of hype when he came out being Dre’s protege, along with catchy funny singles then later stadium hits.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Mar 29, 2024
  11. Kujaku67

Sep 28, 2020
    Thanks for answering. I know Jay is obviously not viewed as trash or anything like that. I'm just saying that he doesn't seem to have a lot of diehard fans the same way other popular rappers do worldwide.

aleeex1923 and Ordinary Joel like this.
    aleeex1923 and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  12. Kujaku67

Sep 28, 2020
    That's a great point. I think one thing that stands out about Eminem, Tupac, and even Drake to a certain extend is their level of vulnerability and introspection.

Before 4:44, Hov was a great rapper but wasn't really that emotional or vulnerable and I think those feelings translate better to a broader audience than simply being a great rapper.

Hov is in my top 5 DOA but he doesn't really have a song that can hit you such as Like Toy Soldiers, Stan, Changes, or Dear Mama. Song Cry and 4:44 somewhat do the trick but it feels more contrived.

I think the emotion and charisma Em and Pac put in their music gave them more universal appeal, although that doesn't take away from Jay's strengths which are his sick wordplay, flow, and great ear for beats.

Ordinary Joel and KMurda like this.
    Ordinary Joel and KMurda like this.
    Mar 29, 2024