Futbol/Soccer Football (Soccer) Discussion Thread

Started by Flacko, Nov 24, 2014, in Sports Add to Reading List

1. aleeex1923

Oct 13, 2020
    Well yeah, my best friend is a huge Man United fan and he is following them more than me and he says is the owner's fault.

At least you guys are in the Champions League this year. It can always be worse, look at Arsenal lmao.

Ordinary Joel and BIGFOOT like this.
    Ordinary Joel and BIGFOOT like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  2. Detroit24

Oct 13, 2020

barcelona/juventus in 15 days lol close

aleeex1923 and Ordinary Joel like this.
    aleeex1923 and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  3. The Real Slim Shady

Oct 13, 2020
    Saturday 17th - The Old Firm

Rangers vs Celtic

Best derby in the world. Tune in lads.

Apr 19, 2024
  4. aleeex1923

Oct 17, 2020
    Congrats, great performance.

Apr 19, 2024
  5. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Oct 17, 2020
    I missed y'all, been busy with work! So here's my thoughts on what I've observed (so far!) today:

- Merseyside Derby was bonkers. Everton winless against their rivals for 10 years, Everton riding on a wave, Liverpool trying to reel back from two negative results, two otherworldly managers--you seriously can't write a better script for a seasonal rivalry. Both teams stuck to their philosophies, Liverpool came out blaring with heavy metal football and Everton reacting with fast build up which lead to a ton of chances created on both sides, for someone that woke up at 7AM here in the states this was one h--- of a way to start your morning. Liverpool will feel hard done by that bs call on the VAR and if you ask me, Pickford should have been sent off earlier. They need to add even more intricate technology to detect offsides, it's fair for the game as down the line every point won/loss matters.

- If you were to ask me to sum up Chelsea as a team, look no further than their display today. Mesmerizing when attacking; dominating stretches of possession with forwards full of flair and unselfishness...but extremely clumsy at the back with a goalkeeper sorely lacking in confidence and a manager who might have to realize his team can't get away forever with trying to stick as many offensive minded players into a lineup. It's frustrating for you fans on here, the signs of an emerging powerhouse is there, but there will need to be some basic core values that need to be instilled (and possibly an overhaul of the backline) in order for that potential to be fulfilled.

- City-Arsenal was a pretty interesting duel. Arteta had a good idea in theory of having Willian operate as a false 9 to float between the lines and then release Auba + Pepe on the break...but then look at how Pep managed Sterling to do that same exact role and how it was executed far better. Credit to Sterling for being the most tactically flexible of Pep's forwards as he seriously can do it all these days, Arsenal's two midfielders couldn't find him, which was especially damning in a game which was to be defined depending on which team could play out of an aggressive press and exploit the overcommitted lack of numbers with a counter (re: City's winning goal). It's not all bad news for Arsenal, Partey will help add more steel to that midfield and Arteta is still learning his chops as a manager, they will be fine.

- Serie A might just be my favorite league to watch right now. I tuned in to support Napoli with my boy CHUCKY LOZANO as he continues to follow his diabolical form with another brace today as the Neopolitans blew back Atalanta 4-1. Yup, you heard me. 4-1. Versus, Atalanta. Their high line and zone oriented marking was bound to get dismantled at some point, Napoli was just a bad match-up, I doubt we will see another miserable display from La Dea again. Heck I'm positive Juventus dodged a missile when their game vs Napoli was cancelled (f--- you Serie A higher ups). At least Atalanta's ransacking was against a good opponent, Lazio were blown out by Sampdoria and their ancient frontline lmaoooo.

- Shhhh don't tell this to anyone, but the Milan Derbies for the past couple of seasons have arguably each been contenders for the most exhilarating games of the year. This one's was no exception; plenty of shots at goal, bone breaking tackles and dramatic refereeing calls, seriously guys it had it all. Of course there always has to be a hero, today we had none other than the Oherworldly Conquerer, the Swedish Grim Reaper, Benjamin Button with cleats, the 1st wonder of the world, the Sun, the Moon himself...Zlatan. Enjoy his presence while he's still here guys, ffs a 39 year old veteran has been putting the great AC Milan back where they belong among the elite.

- Looks like Real & Barca don't want to win La Liga this year. Barca at least dropped points to a tough opponent (again), but I seriously want to punch a hole through the wall after looking at Madrid's display today. Horrible from the jump, disconnected line-up, uninspired football against a team that just wanted it more and were deservedly rewarded for a disciplined performance. Like I said I'm patient with the kids, but I'm sometimes tired of our vets. They just don't have those kinds of legs anymore and Zizou's lack of trust to the younger guys (well better yet our uneven squad doesn't help) is hurting us. Clasico in a week, who knows wtf will we see from these two fallen giants.

That's it for now, I still gotta look at the rest of the other games that happened today. If anyone wants my thoughts on your team just hit me up with a tag/mention!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Alpha, aleeex1923 and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  6. The Real Slim Shady

Oct 19, 2020
    What a day. Still recovering from the hangover lol

Ordinary Joel and aleeex1923 like this.
    Ordinary Joel and aleeex1923 like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  7. Fire Squad

Oct 20, 2020
    Champions League started today, so here's some quick thoughts:

- PSG-United was the big one today, you know if you were to give PSG some of United's star midfielders, they'd easily be the most unstoppable footballing juggernaut we've ever witnessed. Ole decided to go with a backline of 5 to make sure there will always be extra support regardless if Mbappe or Neymar slip past their marker, with possibly Rashford & Martial being able to knick one with an exposed backline. Had PSG had some extra quality in the middle, it would have changed just a few dynamics of the game--namely McTominay & Fred being moved out to track runners & cover passing lanes--but this was reassuring for United as they had some solid performances from each individual defender against the top forwards of the world. PSG probed and thanks to some interventions from De Gea, they were still in the game as Ole introduced Pogba and the pendulum swung towards United as they saw more of the ball and managed to seal the win after Pogba found Rashford and he finally decided to make an aggressive play and s---t. Big win, PSG will bounce back, curious to see how United will approach a more tactically disciplined side with RB Leipzig looming.

- Juventus are a sight for sore eyes. I'd wish Pirlo decided to say f--- it and play some cavalier football ala Zeman, but I don't think it'll be possible with the personnel he has. Chiesa was a brilliant transfer, he's had a rough start but he'll come good. Dybala at 100% will remedy some of the attacking impotency this team has, perhaps more shocking was seeing Morata score a brace!? Guess he's just more confident wearing that Juventus uniform more than anything.

- Dortmund-Lazio was one h--- of a spectacle, although once again BvB leave so much to desire on defense. The loss of Hakimi has further limited this team out wide, as now teams can pretty much pack the middle and they don't have that extra release valve to ease their way towards goal. Idk if Favre's tactics will ever function in the more fast paced environment that the knockout rounds provide in the UCL, he might just have to consider reverting back to the 4231 if this team wants to still be in contention, today might have just been a bad stylistic match-up against Inzaghi's stubborn 3 man backline. That being said, their offense still finds ways to be dangerous, if their shooting boots were on the scoreline would have been closer but Lazio simply took their chances. Feels like Serie A has taken leaps in quality lately, keeping my eye on this resurgence as Lazio isn't even a top 5 team in the league anymore.

Didn't get a chance to see Barca & Chelsea, I'll probably just check the highlights.

Alpha, Jakey, aleeex1923 and 2 others like this.
    Alpha, Jakey, aleeex1923 and 2 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  8. aleeex1923

Oct 20, 2020
    d---, surprised you didn't mentioned the man of the match who imo was Wan-Bissaka. Literally Neymar and Mbappe had no chance against him.
    I think this was one of the best 1v1 defenders performances I have seen in a long time.

Thoughts @BIGFOOT about the game?

Also I am very happy for Lazio.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    BIGFOOT, Fire Squad and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  9. BIGFOOT

BIGFOOT More than a myth!

Oct 21, 2020
    Outstanding performance from every red especially Wan... after Martial scored that OG the players looked and played nervously for five minutes and I was expecting them to kinda cave in, but they composed their selves and got the job done.

What a goal from rashy btw ooowweee lol

Also before I forget... I was loving the retaking of the penalty haha.

Apr 19, 2024
  10. Mikey

Oct 21, 2020
    my thought on football after Van Dijk injury.

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  11. Jakey

Jakey You Reckon

Oct 21, 2020
    God dammit chelsea what a week...... they either score 3 goals but concede 3 or get a clean sheet and dont score...... :empalm:

Fire Squad and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Fire Squad and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  12. aleeex1923

Oct 21, 2020
    Wtf is going on, Shakthar leads 3-0 at half time against Real Madrid and the ukrainian team is missing more than half of their usual squad.

LE : Shakhtar are missing 10 first-team players due to COVID-19 so basically the second team of Shakthar owns Real Madrid.

Is not looking good for Real, first the loss at home against Cadiz and now this and let's not forget El Classico is next for them.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    Alpha, Ordinary Joel, BIGFOOT and 2 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  13. BIGFOOT

BIGFOOT More than a myth!

Oct 21, 2020
    2020 strikes again

Alpha, Ordinary Joel and aleeex1923 like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  14. Fire Squad

Oct 21, 2020
    Disastrous first half, we once again struggled at creating vs an aggressive low block. Distinct lack of confidence within certain players (Rodrygo, Jovic, Militao), plus some motivational issues as this team has a habit of being complacent against opposition like Shakhtar & Cadiz. Credit to Brazil—I mean Shakhtar for their gameplan at exploiting us on the counter.

Decent response in the 2nd half but it’s an unacceptable result on our part (as I typed this Valverde scored an equalizer—Edit: welp nevermind). Idk which Barca or Madrid will show up this weekend, neither have been convincing let alone close to being elite.

Apr 19, 2024
  15. aleeex1923

Oct 21, 2020
    Lol
    IMG_20201022_021944.jpg

This reminded me of that time when Matuidi searched his wife on google to post her on twitter.

[​IMG]

Jakey and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Jakey and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  16. Fire Squad

Oct 21, 2020
    Here are some other thoughts from this UCL match day outside of my grievances with Real Madrid:

- This Bayern side is slowly reminding me of Zizou's Real 16-18 & last year's Liverpool. While Bayern's offense is geared more towards aggressive box occupation after their wingers slip behind the backline, they're probably worse defensively than the other two especially when Flick's high press is evaded. Yet, they share the same gift of those aforementioned teams of being able to dominate timely instances of a game; look at that sequence when Atletico blew a 4v2 scenario on the counter only for Tolisso scoring a screamer in the next play to sentence this game. Psychologically they're becoming the scariest side in Europe, regardless of any tactical shortcoming that I keep seeing. As for Atletico, Cholo has to quickly realize they are no longer the defensive juggernaut they once were, too many flair players for them to keep having to play without the ball. They need a new philosophical change asap.

- Pretty routine win for Manchester City, although it did look a bit hairy in the 1st half. Arbitrary decisions be d---ed, they were always bound to win this game and we had a nice glimpse of the future with Foden feeding Ferran for the final nail in the coffin. Who knows how this next young core of City stars will develop (Foden, Torres, Garcia), Pep just needs to give them an extra license to prove themselves when some of the older players start to stagnate.

- Atalanta blew out Midtjylland, happy to see Illicic slowly reintegrate himself back to this team and in general watching them play is so much fun. Inter rescued a narrow draw vs Monchengladbach, once again highlighting this team's continuously frustrating ability to subvert expectations despite the personnel they have. Liverpool defeated Ajax, say a prayer for Michael Myers here guys. I think they'll be fine in the grand scheme of things without VVD in the Premier League, but I'm curious to see how they adapt to the more fast paced nature of this competition. If they can pick up a huge piece in the January window I think they will be fine in the knockout stages, this team is too strong not to still compete for titles.

Ordinary Joel, Alpha and aleeex1923 like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  17. Alpha

Alpha

Oct 21, 2020
    A week so disappointing for Real Madrid that I wasn't bothered to post here. It's totally unacceptable under no circumstances to lose these two consecutive games against such teams. True, the players are probably still not fully fit due to international football + some injuries to key players, regardless of that, it's no excuse for not being able to beat teams like Cadiz & Shaktar. Hopefully this is good enough wake up call, not just moving forward for the rest of the season, but it means a huge summer transfer market for next season is required... a name for every position...as they should go all in for Mbappe. Our attack has been actually horrendous for the past two seasons since Cristiano left. I honestly don't have any hopes on Eden Hazard at this point. They're better off without him. Anything less than the 3 points in el clasico is a disappointment since Barcelona are far from their best form. That W is essential at any cost.

Regardless of all that... It's still the beginning of the season and there is time to fix things, but yes there is a clear problem. I remember the beginning of last season was just as bad if not worse... (3-0 Loss to PSG etc). We'll see what happens.

Apr 19, 2024
  18. aleeex1923

Oct 24, 2020
    d--- great W for Leeds yesterday, defeating the only team that had 12 points after 4 games. We're talking about Aston Villa that managed to crush Liverpool at home 7-2 and take all 3 points 5 days ago at Leicester.

Also the 2nd and 3rd goal from Bamford simply amazing.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    Apr 19, 2024
  19. Fire Squad

Oct 24, 2020
    LETS GOOOOOOO

Another clásico win fellas @Alpha @OwI @Guma

Apr 19, 2024
  20. Alpha

Alpha

Oct 24, 2020
    Great performance. Good way to bounce back after the disappointing week (it was expected), however the problem still remains...our attackers can't finish properly nor score (that Benzema chance in the first half... how typical of him I shall say *sigh*), in addition, they still have a problem with killing matches when they're leading by one. It's frustrating. Modric's goal was the icing on the cake. All in all a great win for their mental boost going forward. Let's just hope they can continue like this.

Apr 19, 2024
Live Thread