Google Pixel 5

Started by icecube, Sep 30, 2020, in Entertainment Add to Reading List

1. icecube

icecube West Coast is the Best Coast

Sep 30, 2020

Watching this live now. Unless this is a train wreck I'm committed to getting this phone at launch.

Mar 28, 2024
  2. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Sep 30, 2020
    Don't like the price for the specs. You get much more with the upcoming S20 FE. I switched from Pixel 3 to Note 10 + last year which has a much better battery life and specs. Only thing I don't really like is the camera and no more vanilla android experience that you get with the Pixel. I've been underwhelmed the last 2 years and depending on what the iPhone 12 looks like, may make the jump to apple but I don't want to. I'll wait to see actual reviews on this but I wouldn't preorder it yet

Galaxy, Ordinary Joel and icecube like this.
    Galaxy, Ordinary Joel and icecube like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  3. icecube

Sep 30, 2020
    Well I'm sold. It's nothing to set the world on fire but I find that when I buy a "wow" phone the "wow" ends up being either not used or part of the problem in the long run.
    I'm happy that Google are just seeming to be focusing on a great experience that everyone can use. And the freebies (free Bose Q35 headphones, 3 months Stadia, 3 months YouTube music and 3 months Google 1) is worth about £350 as well. So a phone with a selling price of £599 plus those benefits is huge. I'm not overly fussed about price but this does look like exactly what I'm looking for so it's a benefit!

Ordinary Joel and Worm like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  4. icecube

Sep 30, 2020
    I've just always found that Samsung phones don't stand the test of time. They are 12/10 phones for 6 months and then drop down to 6/10 after that. I've currently been using the Galaxy Note 9 for nearly 2 years now. The 2 Pixels I had remained 10/10 phones for as long as I had them. They f----- up huge with P3 and P4 but this looks like a return to form, albeit somewhat safe. But they need to do that. If this is a success I'm sure we'll see some more innovation for P6 and P7.

I'm currently 100% convinced on this and will report back when I've had some real life experience with it.

Ordinary Joel, Guma and Worm like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Guma and Worm like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  5. Galaxy

Galaxy When I'm fxcked up, that's the real me

Oct 5, 2020
    I bought the Pixel 4 XL last year just for the astrophotography and I got it for a d--- good deal at the time. I usually only upgrade every 2 years, but I wonder how astrophotography is gonna be on the Pixel 5.

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  6. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Oct 5, 2020
    how s-----y is the battery life? The 3 XL was pretty bad and I heard 4 was worse. Pixel 2XL was the best one they made

Ordinary Joel and icecube like this.
    Ordinary Joel and icecube like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  7. Galaxy

Galaxy When I'm fxcked up, that's the real me

Oct 5, 2020
    It's okay. I had regular Pixel 4 for a little while and then I returned it but the XL has battery life that I can deal with

Mar 28, 2024
  8. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Oct 5, 2020
    yeah I still may get the 5. Waiting to see reviews on it and will probably wait until black friday if it looks good

Galaxy and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Galaxy and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  9. icecube

Oct 5, 2020
    I've pre-ordered mine. I'll get it either the 15th or 16th. I'll let you know what it's like after a few days!

Mar 28, 2024
  10. icecube

Oct 14, 2020
    Just got the notification that my Pixel has been shipped. Tomorrow is the day!

Haven't been this excited for a new phone for years!

Mar 28, 2024
  11. icecube

Oct 15, 2020
    Just got it delivered and unboxed.

I'll have a play around for the next few days slowly downloading all the apps I want and music I need. It's got a good feel to it so far. Not having glass on the back means it's not slippery.

Mar 28, 2024
  12. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Oct 15, 2020
    if it's larger than the iphone mini, then it's too large.

Buddha and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Buddha and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  13. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Oct 22, 2020
    How's the camera and performance so far?

Mar 28, 2024
  14. icecube

Oct 23, 2020
    I don't really know how to explain it tbh. It's like I've had the phone for years. It's already "meh", but not in a bad way. I liked the fact that it had focused on what it was good at and left all the gimmicky stuff behind but I guess part of the thrill of a new phone is messing around with the gimmicky stuff.

Performance wise it's everything you'd expect from a new phone. It's smooth and quick. It has frozen/lagged once. Just a one off though, I wasn't doing anything strenuous with it. I honestly can't tell the difference between a 60hz and a 90hz screen though. I've got used to the size, going from a Note to this was always going to be weird but I like it. I pick up my Note every now and again and it feels uncomfortably big now.

Camera I haven't really had too much time to mess with. Taken a few snaps and got what I expected. The ultra wide camera is good. Night pics are probably the best. It's stabilising software is meant to be great but I haven't tried it out properly yet.

My favourite part of Android 11 though is how they've integrated Google Home into the power button. When you hold the power button now you get the standard options of Power Off, Restart etc but also any smart devices you have linked to Home and can control them directly from there.

Overall I'd give it a solid 7-7.5/10. It's great if you want a well made, safe phone. If you want something fancy to show off and talk about then this probably isn't it. But then neither is any phone at this price point I guess.

Worm, Mraczewsky and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Worm, Mraczewsky and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  15. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Oct 23, 2020
    on paper the iPhone 12 Pro is so much better but the downfall is it comes with iOS and I don't think I can do it. Gonna give it a few more weeks and probably pull the trigger on P5. On Note 10 + and while I do like it, I don't like the Samsung UI. I switched to Nova launcher and the samsung bloatwear is annoying. I miss google now menu and the automatic whats' playing feature. Also Note 10 camera is only good if you're still or nothing is moving in the picture or it's garbage. If that stuff bothers me with sammy I probably wouldn't make it a week with an iphone.

Things I do like about Samsung are the stylus pen (didn't think I'd use it, but I do for taking screen shots which takes away having to crop) and Samsung Pay which you can use on any terminal you can swipe a card on

Mar 28, 2024
  16. icecube

Oct 23, 2020
    Google Pay works on anything Samsung pay would work on.
    I came from a Note as well and thought I'd use the stylus more than I did.

Mar 28, 2024
  17. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Oct 23, 2020
    Nah Google Pay uses NFC to make transactions and only works on NFC payment terminals (you'll see the symbol for google and apple pay if it will work as they both use NFC). Samsung Pay actually works on almost any terminal as it can use both NFC and MST (Magnetic Secure Transmission...basically simulates what credit cards use when you swipe them). Most places do have NFC now, but there's still smaller stores and even some big one's that don't, and that's where Samsung pay shines

The stylus I'll get over as I exclusively used it for screen shots. Although creating a gif through screen recording was a cool feature as well I kept forgetting I had

edit: also miss the rear fingerprint reader from PIxels. On screen sucks

Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    Mar 28, 2024
  18. icecube

Oct 23, 2020
    Oh, I didn't know that. Interesting. But I'd say NFC seems the more future proof tech though, especially considering that's what iPhones use.

Yeah, rear finger print scanner ftw. I think I use the finger print reader to pull down my notification bar more than that actually screen. That would annoy me not being able to do that without the scanner.

Anyway, the with P5 you won't be disappointed. You won't be WOWed, but you won't be disappointed.

Mar 28, 2024
  19. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Nov 24, 2020
    Just traded in my note 10 plus and got the pixel 5 for $200. Good to back on a Pixel

Packman and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Packman and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  20. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Dec 2, 2020
    So have had it for a week now. Glad I switched back. Missed the rear finger print, google news swipe and the camera. Only thing that bothers me is the speaker quality but I don't use it that much

Mar 28, 2024