What Audio Equipment Do You Use?

Started by hargydon, Oct 23, 2020, in Music Add to Reading List

1. hargydon

hargydon No investigation, no right to speak

Oct 23, 2020
    Obviously we’re all huge music fans, that’s why we’re here. However, we all have different tastes when it comes to it yet we never discuss our preferences when it comes to *how* we hear this passion of ours...

1 of the things that always intrigues me is what audio equipment people listen to on?

Speakers?
    Headphones/earphones?
    Both?

What do you choose for first listen experience?

How do you listen to the music -

Streaming services (which)?
    Downloads/personal library?
    CDs?
    LPs?

Lemme know below.

Mar 28, 2024
  2. hargydon

Oct 23, 2020
    I’ll start first...

I have 2 main choices when it comes to premium listening experience, my speakers & headphones which are as follows:

Speakers - Tannoy XT 6Fs & Yamaha NS SW300 Subwoofer paired with Sony STR-DN1080 Receiver/Amp

Headphones - Bowers & Wilkins PX7s

I use Tidal HiFi for music discovery & constantly building a personal library of lossless music. Hoping to invest in a record player someday.

When it comes to my first listen experience, I always opt for the loudspeaker Tannoy setup, they seem to produce the most accurate response out of my current audio equipment. I used to use Yamaha HS80 monitors but the neutral frequency response became tired to my ears after awhile. Started to take the enjoyment out of the listening experience & as I was working on less n less production, I ended up giving them to a friend who would utilise them for their intended use.

Very interested in hearing about your setups, however big or small it doesn’t matter.

Mar 28, 2024
  3. Enez

Enez Purple Heats Forever

Oct 23, 2020
    headphones: audio technica-m50x, airpods 2nd gen
    speakers: jbl flip 4 and some sony soundbar
    turntable: audio technica lp-60x (just use one of those portable amps)
    some sony 5-cd player i use

apple music is my streaming service, and i have bout 6tb of music in hard drives, bout 1/4 are flacs (just 2 10tb ones, one exclusively for my music)

most the time i listen on my phone, but when at home, the turntable is my most used, followed by computer, then cd player. might upgrade the turntable a few years from now to a lp-120x, and the headphones to some sennheisers, but they seem to get the job done so far. if i want to listen to some flacs on my phone, i got a fiio lightning dac, so i can play those on my phone with vox or vlc since apple music cant play flacs

Mar 28, 2024
  4. aleeex1923

Oct 23, 2020
    I only use some earbuds from SONY WF-XB700 had all kinds of headphones/earphones and these are by far the best for me in all aspects, love them.

As a streaming service I only use Spotify, since 2018 and never missed a month where I didn't subscribed. I'm actually obsessed with it, I love their PC app is super user friendly also the phone app is top quality.

Mar 28, 2024
  5. hargydon

Oct 23, 2020
    Ahh M50s the GOAT reference headphones. Great setup.

d--- 6TB? That’s a hefty amount, how many songs do you think that is approximately?

Is the turntable a jump in listening experience as far as quality goes - or is it the feel of it that brings the most enjoyment? I get conflicting answers a lot which is why I’ve yet to invest.

A DAC is also on my wish list, I’ve been looking at a Chinese brand one the Topping D90. Apparently it performs on a similar level to devices 4x its asking price but I haven’t pulled the trigger yet lol

Ordinary Joel, Enez and aleeex1923 like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Enez and aleeex1923 like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  6. Enez

Oct 23, 2020
    prob bout 400k songs, i like seeing big numbers.

turntables are more about the feeling than the quality, as much as some vinyl elitist would like to say, speakers do make a huge difference in quality, but overall they dont sound as good as cdq, they just sound different.

i’ve only used fiio dacs, but i am looking at some schiit ones, apparently a very good brand

Ordinary Joel and hargydon like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  7. hargydon

Oct 23, 2020
    I used to have some Sony XM3s - fantastic headphones, especially for commuting, you could block the world out with ease (well I’ve not sold them but they’re packed away lol)

I’ve always commended Spotify for their optimisation of their apps, the best in the market by far. Nobody is even close to them as far as interface use of ease it’s ridiculous. Only complaint I have is audio quality, I wish they had a lossless tier. I’d switch over in an instant if they added one as Tidal has so many flaws with its software but the quality is enough to keep me there, for now at least. But Spotify was my first ever streaming service & it literally changed my listening experience forever, mind blowing to me when I first discovered it a looooong time ago lmao

Ordinary Joel and aleeex1923 like this.
    Ordinary Joel and aleeex1923 like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  8. hargydon

Oct 23, 2020
    Holy s---. I think I’ve got 15,000 at the most in my personal library lmao

I thought it wouldn’t make a huge difference, but hearing that some LPs are mastered different due to the different technology not allowing some of the digital compression loudness techniques that modern engineers are using for streaming service versions of projects were meaning that the vinyl was bringing out a much cleaner sound & wider soundstage but I can only go off what people say instead of first hand experience so that’s why I’m hesitating. I think if it was a distinct difference there’d be no debate. But then again, people still argue that lossless doesn’t make a difference in contrast to MP3s which to me I think you’d have to be pretty deaf to not hear the clear differences so who knows.

Would you recommend Fiio? I’ve also done a bit of research on both Fiio & Schiit (what a name) but it’s an absolute minefield. Who do you believe in this field? So many variables...

Ordinary Joel and Enez like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Enez like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  9. Enez

Oct 23, 2020
    very clear difference between a 320 mp3 file and a wav or flac unless you’re using like average headphones or something.

vinyl is a bit harder to explain because i think you have to experience a play first before getting an idea, the soundstage is wayyyy better than any cd or digital file could ever produce though. some records were mastered very differently, like sabbath ones, but most now just use the same digital masters, or tapes maybe.

yeah i’d definitely recommend fiio

Mar 28, 2024
  10. Thy

Thy 000000

Oct 23, 2020
    Sony WH100XM3 - only got these for the noise cancellation aspect and boy do they deliver
    Beats Solo3 - got it for cheap on black friday

And I've used all streaming services but have only stuck with apple music. Prolly cause it got all of hov's albums :hov:

Mar 28, 2024
  11. icecube

icecube West Coast is the Best Coast

Oct 23, 2020
    Headphones for premium listening: currently Sennheiser Momentum 2's but got Bose QC35's on order as well.

For out loud I still use my Beats Pill from years ago but desperately need to upgrade my out loud experience. Hard to justify that with young kids around though.

Mar 28, 2024
  12. relapse 2

Oct 23, 2020
    philips sph2000 headphones
    wharefdale pro connect 5 usb mixer
    sony hifi stereo /sharing wharfedale speakers

Mar 28, 2024
  13. thecanibus

thecanibus Updated by Slyk bc I was wishing death on someone

Oct 23, 2020
    Normally I roll with my Sony XM3 and I have a little NW-A55 player. At this point I think more or less everything I have is lossless besides some obscure canibus features. It’s really nice having a music player seperate from a phone that doesn’t have apps and wifi, simpler times.

I have Apple Music but I don’t really use it, if I’m using my phone for sounds it’s normally a podcast on some AirPod pros.

I’d love to eventually get some IEM earphones but I’m not sure I’ll get much benefits.

Also have a cheap record player and come nice speakers but I hardly use them tbh.

Evad, Ordinary Joel, hargydon and 2 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  14. hargydon

Oct 24, 2020
    A lot of love for the Sony XM3s in here, they served me well for a good 12 months. Also, unexpectedly less investment in loudspeaker equipment in contrast with headphones... I suppose there’s a lot of factors to why that is - living spaces (neighbours/family) - cost - lack of convenience & portability. I just feel like when set up right, the experience is elevated tenfold due to atmospheric presence.

aleeex1923 and Ordinary Joel like this.
    aleeex1923 and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  15. Evad

Evad Balls

Dec 1, 2020
    Just got the Sony XM4's since they were on sale for about $350 CAD at bestbuy during black friday.

And honestly these are probably the best headphones I've had so far: the noise cancellation is incredible, the sound is really crisp, and the bass is super punchy while not being overblown. Also the features like automatic pausing when you take them off, the adjustable EQ in app, and audio customization w/ TIDAL make it 100x better for me personally.

Ordinary Joel and icecube like this.
    Ordinary Joel and icecube like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  16. thecanibus

thecanibus Updated by Slyk bc I was wishing death on someone

Dec 2, 2020
    I kinda got into this a lot recently,

ok so I got XM4 because I had the option to upgrade for very little. I wouldn’t say it’s a must upgrade but it’s nice if you have the option.

I deceived to upgrade my player and grab some IEM earphones and honestly it made a sizeable difference. I got the Sony NW-ZX300a, main reason for the upgrade was the ability for balanced output and it defiantly delivers on that along with being overall just of a better build quality. I also got the Sony XBA-N3BP and brothers they are fantastic as someone only beginning to get into higher end audio these along with the player finally gave me that “hi res” sound I was always kinda expecting.

Slippery slope but fun hobby, if your using your phone with some cheap headphones your actually missing out.

hargydon, Evad and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  17. JulnHT

Dec 2, 2020
    What is better for beat production and vocals mixing, headphones or monitors?

I'm about to buy the Yamaha HS8 but if i can get better headphones for that price then i dont know

hargydon and Ordinary Joel like this.
    hargydon and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  18. relapse 2

Dec 2, 2020
    ive heard great things about the JBL PRX series
    atm i just use philips sph2000 over ear headphones and when not in use i use a sony hifi system with 2 extra wharfedale floorstanding speakers

Mar 28, 2024
  19. J630

J630 Annoying af

Dec 2, 2020
    Many would say monitors, because that's what most of the professional mixing engineers work with. You could do little adjustments with headphones afterwards though, because sometimes you can hear tiny flaws more clearly that way.

That's how I approach my s---, or sometimes I do it the other way around.
    Anyway, I would just try out both using headphones and monitors if I was you.

Ordinary Joel, hargydon and JulnHT like this.
    Ordinary Joel, hargydon and JulnHT like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  20. joeyp363

Dec 2, 2020
    AC/DC analogue stereo. Rock on bros

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024