What's Stanfield Been Bumping? (TOP 5 ALBUMS OF 2021 SO FAR)

Started by Sav Stanfield, Oct 3, 2020, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Sav Stanfield

Mar 31, 2021
    I've been revisiting all the new 1017 projects since Big Scarr's debut was announced and have found myself bumping the the f--- outta Sheisty Season today. This whole album flows so well, Sheisty's flow is buttery smooth, just so matter-of-factly threatening to take your head off over TP's guitar riffs. He sounds like a Tennessean version Gucci - effortless, swaggering, hyperbolic and catchy as f---.

Mar 28, 2024
  2. Ricky

Ricky Hip-Hop CEO ™

Mar 31, 2021
    I can hear the Gucci resemblance, this is dope. I'll add him to my bible-long list of "I'll check this later".

Mar 28, 2024
  3. Sav Stanfield

Apr 1, 2021
    this ones a must imo! Especially if you're a fan of Gucci. Speaking of Wop, he absolutely murdered his feature on this album.

Ricky, Michael Myers and Chrollo like this.
    Ricky, Michael Myers and Chrollo like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  4. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Apr 1, 2021
    The production this whew

Ordinary Joel and Sav Stanfield like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  5. Sav Stanfield

Apr 1, 2021
    I've posted about Southside Hoodlum before, an upcoming South Park Mexican-inspired rapper outta H-Town with a flow that sounds like he's just stumbled into the studio after up off a 48-hour lean binge. His latest tape - Lord Knows - just dropped this past Friday and it is a TRIP. Every song is soaked with syrup then left out to dry in the Texan heat. This one's a big highlight, with an irresistible screwed-up sample and trap drums where Hoodlum sounds halfway lucid, but still rapping out of the side of his mouth like his brain can't figure out whether to focus on the mic or the blunt.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2021
    Mar 28, 2024
  6. Sav Stanfield

Apr 2, 2021
    Even with the tragic passing of Bris last year, everything EBK and their affiliates have been dropping recently has been pure flames, with EBK Young Jock at the front and center. His latest single picks up where Fresh Prince of Bel Air left off, with that Cali-meets-Michigan flow and that outrageously infectious loop of a violin sample

Mar 28, 2024
  7. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Apr 4, 2021
    @Sav Stanfield Chosen was on Dutch radio yesterday!! :rejoice:

Mar 28, 2024
  8. Sav Stanfield

Apr 4, 2021
    d---, he's going global! I don't think I've ever been so sure of someone who's gonna blow up lol

Ordinary Joel and Michael Myers like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  9. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Apr 4, 2021
    Yeah he definitely got that pop-sound that could make him huge! Album is dope af

Mar 28, 2024
  10. Sav Stanfield

Apr 6, 2021

There was a thread on here the other day talking about Thugger's children. One that wasn't mentioned was new up and comer CEO Trayle, one of the weirder offshoots of the Slimey family tree. The weirdest thing about Trayle is his beat selection. It feels like he's often purposefully trying to find the strangest, most incongruent instrumentals to rap over. Warren Buffet, off his most recent self-titled mixtape is an exception to the rule: a breezy trumpet melody with high tempo trap percussion makes for an uncharacteristically easy-listen, and Trayle's flows slide in and out like the slimy mfucker he is. But listen closer and you'll hear very Trayle-ish woozing between space-out and cold-bloodedness: "Lil bro said he ain't takin no more Ls he brought his pole to fight / smoking on some s---, got me talking to the poltergiest".

Mar 28, 2024
  11. Sav Stanfield

Apr 7, 2021
    There's something strangely endearing about Bankroll Freddie's QC debut Big Bank which dropped last week. Its like he's still in 2011 bumping Gucci and Flocka mixtapes and has never heard of Future, Thug or Travis Scott. Its almost like he sees trap in the same way Flee Lord sees boom bap lol.

Mar 28, 2024
  12. Antman

Antman No Cap

Apr 7, 2021
    @Sav Stanfield the best one doing this s--- man

Sav Stanfield and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  13. Sav Stanfield

Apr 8, 2021
    :wiggins:

Thank you brother! I'm just glad at least some people are checking these and hopefully getting some good recs at the same time lol

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  14. Sav Stanfield

Apr 8, 2021
    Every time I listen to Hoodrich Pablo Juan I think about how I don't listen to enough Hoodrich Pablo Juan. His latest drop from last year - Master Sensei 2 is my favorite of his releases since the The Matrix collaboration he put out with EDM producer Brodinski way back in 2018. The tape is full of highlights top to back, but Paranoid might just be one of the best songs Pablo's ever made.

Mar 28, 2024
  15. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Apr 10, 2021
    @Sav Stanfield have u heard G Perico's new tape ?

Mar 28, 2024
  16. Sav Stanfield

Apr 11, 2021
    havent listened yet but d---, he's been dropping nonstop this year

Michael Myers and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  17. Sav Stanfield

Apr 11, 2021
    These regional scenes popping up all over the place are hard to keep up with. There's a lot of standardisation and borrowing and copying - of flows, instrumentals, even slang (Cali/Michigan is the best example), but what I find so interesting is that these little highly differentiated, unique sub-scenes emerge from all the mixing and matching, and inevitably rise to the top. Its like heated chemicals bouncing around in a container - some will merge to form new compounds, others bounce off each other.

Quin NFN and Lil 2z are 2 Texan up-and-comers right at the forefront of The Lone Star State right now. 2z graced Quinn with a feature on his best song yet and Quinn returns the favour on the aptly titled From Dallas to Austin, off 2z' 2 Different Worlds EP that dropped a few weeks ago. Quin and 2z are natural collaborators; Quin's higher-pitched chaotic register slices through 2z' sneering, measured baritone like a hot knife through butter as the two go back and forth over an eery whistling bounce.

Mar 28, 2024
  18. Sav Stanfield

May 9, 2021
    A few recent highlights I've been bumping when I'm not drowning in spreadsheets in these days. There's suddenly so much new music I needed to get this down before I forgot about it all lol.

Vince Ash - VITO (Deluxe)
    Pac ain't dead, he just rebranded as Vince Ash. This dude has only dropped 2 brief projects so far (if I'm not mistaken), and both of them have shown tremendous potential. The Pac influence is obviously the first thing that comes to mind but you can hear plenty of Triple 6 in his upbringing. I'm staying tuned for this one.

Kenny Mason - Angellic Hoodrat: SUPERCUT (Deluxe)
    Kenny Mason is an offshoot of the JID-dy / Kendrick-meets-3K-meets-Carti branch, with hyperactive intertwined flows that spill out into every open space in the instrumental. Difference with Kenny is that one minute he's in his quadruple-time flow zone, then next he's exploding into full-out rock opera choruses, complete with huge stadium guitar riffs. There's a lot of interesting ideas, some that dont quite click, a lot that do. 2 of the best cuts off his new Deluxe album feature 2 other insanely gifted technicians. But if you like these check out his other work.

Topaz Jones - Don't Go Tellin Yo Mamma
    Say what you will about Pitchfork but I've gotten countless amazing music recommendations from them (especially Alphonse Pierre's column, that place is a d--- goldmine and Alphonse is one of the best hip hop journalists working right now). Their recent review of Topaz Jones' sophmore album had me interested when they described it as 'funk-embroided' and I was not disappointed with the result. This kinda took me back to the sound Kendrick was all over in 2015, that TPAB-ish fusion of funk and soul and blues and jazz (more funk though). This one feels like an @Ordinary Joel special.

Moneybagg Yo - A Gangsta's Pain
    I've never been as big on Yo as I have been on other Memphis artists - he just doesn't have that same presence as a Dolph or a Glock or even a Blocboy JB. but this one has me suddenly seeing the light. Its no classic or anything but by far the most complete Moneybagg album in his catalog so far. And there's a handful of cuts on here (idgaf, Wockesha - if only for its title alone - is a stone cold classic) that take this to the next level.

Big Scarr - Big Grim Reaper
    Speaking of Memphis.... Pooh Sheisty's scar-faced brother drops what is probably the hardest of the trio of new 1017 solo albums so far. Not necessarily the best (that honor remains firmly with Shiesty), but Scarr's baritone is almost intimidating as it pummels through a f---ing carnival of Tay Keith and BandPlay instruments. I cannot wait to see what comes next from the new 1017. Throw this one on the gym playlist in the meantime.

Lil Yachty - Michigan Boy Boat
    Its not the groundbreaking D to the A moment it could have been, but I'm so happy this actually happened and that Rio, Mike, Jay, etc will hopefully get some much deserved shine. There's plenty enough to go around, I just wish some of those classic Youtube loosies would have wound up on this. For Yachty himself, this is such a breath of fresh air in his catalog.

Teejayx6 & Lex Luger - Generation Scam
    Teejay's kinda disappeared into 'this page cannot be found' background after dropping one of the greatest pieces of music ever made. He's dropped a bunch of lo-fi, s-----y quality youtube mixtapes that are just more of the same, so I usually would have skipped this until I saw Boldy James on the feature list. A Teejay x Lex x Boldy crossover is way too weird to pass up. Was not disappointed.

T.F. - Dough Networkz Presents "Skanless Summer"
    It took me a while to figure out where I've heard T.F's voice before. Something about that grimy flow and hard-hitting underground instrumentals with a west-coast tinge had me thinking @SKUX GOD would be disappointed in me for not knowing. Turns out he probably would be - the last time I heard T.F he was an unknown feature on Schoolboy Q's Tookie Knows II. But d---, the dude can RAP. And this little project, even though its brief has been in rotation for a good couple of weeks now.

Ola Runt - Atlanta's Most Wanted
    I'm still mad Ola and Gucci had a fallout. I wanna know wtf happened. He's blowing up regardless though, that combination of a neverending stream of music and insane social media antics (that album title probably isnt far from the truth) is paying off. One of the stranger, more recent offshoots of the Gucci/Thugger/Future family tree with a nasally, squeaky delivery that pitches up then descends into snarls and winds around those thoroughly ATLien trap beats just like Thugger was doing over Metro instrumentals 6 years ago.

Lil Eazzyy - Rookie of the Year
    I f---ing love Chicago right now. There must be something in the water over there. Lil Eazzy is no expection, from the moment the Jon Williams soundtrack-esque trumpets blare up on Introduction all the way through to the remix of his breakout hit with the big Herbo feature, Eazzyy's just got that natural gift. Can't wait to see what he does next.

Capolow - Code Name 16
    I've seen Capolow's name popping up a few times but don't think I've ever listened to his music before. I'm glad I gave his latest album a chance though because d---, this is one of the most entertaining, complete bay area/ west coast albums I've heard in a minute (side note - I think ALLBLACK just took the throne with his latest drop though). I think I already recommended it to @Donkey Kong Country , but just in case I didn't, I'm recommending it again. Its just so much fun to listen to. It sounds like E-40 and Future losing their s--- at a Cali pool party, just dousing an ocean of bouncing asscheeks in tequila lol.

Mar 28, 2024
  19. joeyp363

May 9, 2021
    These songs s---.

been bumping a lot of Revival, NF, Yelawolf, Czarface, and Scatter Brain. Nothing else you should honestly be listening to.

CARNIFEX and Sav Stanfield like this.
    CARNIFEX and Sav Stanfield like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  20. icecube

icecube West Coast is the Best Coast

May 9, 2021
    @Sav Stanfield I'm sure I've asked you this before but can't remember...

Where do you find all these new artists? Do they just appear in your suggested feed on streaming platforms? I'd say that's probably most likely but I'm sure you've posted about stuff that isn't available on streaming.

And any suggestions on go-to sites to DL the new stuff that isn't a big release? I don't use streaming for one reason or another so I use PP for all my new music needs bit they never have any of the more unheated of stuff. Genuinely want to get into newer stuff, a couple of the tracks you posted above are right up my alley and want to delve further.

Sav Stanfield, Yeez and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024