Film Michael Myers' horror movies discussion thread

Started by Michael Myers, Apr 23, 2017, in Entertainment Add to Reading List

1. Marsh

Marsh Nobody told you that I'm loco, ese?

Nov 20, 2022
    Yeah, I had no clue what it was about before watching. I did like it more than Barbarian, I'm just not loving any movies this year tbh, it's just ok.

And you can see some of the scares coming from a mile away :emoji_confused:

Michael Myers likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  2. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Nov 20, 2022
    Haven't seen barbarian either.

Got x and black phone on dvd to watch soon.

Last movie I truly loved was
    *coming soon*

Mar 28, 2024
  3. Marsh

Nov 20, 2022
    I enjoyed Black Phone, it's just not very original. Need to read your review :khaled2:

Mar 28, 2024
  4. Ripper Roo

Ripper Roo big me

Nov 20, 2022
    No way Smile is on Paramount+ now. I’m about to have a hootenanny tonight!

Mar 28, 2024
  5. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Nov 27, 2022
    6. Halloween Ends

When I left the theatre seeing it the first time, I was so confused. What the h--- did I watch? I wasn't even sure if I liked it or hated it, I was just speechless... I was bummed that the Halloween story was over, and kinda mad they made Michael a weak side character, so my first reaction was.. ugh. I watched it again on Halloween with different expectations.
    Let me first repeat what I said a few weeks ago: they should have killed Michael at the end of Kills (could literally be the same ending, after Karen was killed having Laurie face him, and eventually make sure he's really dead). That way he wasn't reduced to a weak old man (without explanation) people wouldn't be mad at Cory being the new enemy, and we weren't misleaded into thinking this was all about Michael and Laurie. A new story about Michaels fear, legacy and how the town would react would have been fine imo.
    But of course, nobody would care. They tried several times to continue the story without Michael and it flopped, so they needed to have him, at least for the promo.
    However, if I really think about it. Would another 2 hour movie of Michael chasing Laurie and her friends and family really be original at this point? I don't think so. I think its cool that they tried something new here. The opening of the movie was fun. Everyone expected Michael to show up, so the twist was dope. The theme was really good, and the start of the movie (Laurie's story including the OG Laurie theme soundtrack) I liked a lot. After that we are introduced to Cory and follow his story, as well as Laurie constantly being reminded of it all (in good and bad ways). I liked the Laurie parts, Cory I didn't really care for. Then after like 38 minutes, FINALLY Michael shows up. I was mad at how weak he was, but when he killed Alysons ex, I was reminded of Laurie saying 'the more he kills, the more he transcends'. It was obvious he got his strength back when he was killing that guy. I still wonder what the exact idea was of Michael living in the sewers becoming weak... but I was happy he was awake again. The scenes in between with Alyson and Cory were whatever, there was zero chemistry. Laurie and Cory did: the way Laurie had a bad feeling about him and confronted him was cool. I was also really happy Lindsey was around, but dissappointed she had no real role here. She was a 'survivor' yeah thats easy if you are never in danger lol. She had a fight with him in Kills, here she wast just filler. A shame really. Even worse, that she wasn't even in the last scene.. should have been in the car with Alyson and Laurie tbh. Same with Frank, it was cool to have him around but it was also just... filler. The theme however, of the town after Michael, was great. I liked that it haunted the town, Laurie finally sorta moved on, and I have to say the 2nd part of the movie, I liked Cory as a killer. The junk yard scene where he killed those kids was dope. The unreleased scene of him killing his mom I hope its in an extended cut same way they did with Kills. Michael and Cory killing those doctors, the radio guy, also loved it. And yeah the last 20 minutes were nice. Cory got what he deserved, LOVE that they had Michael finish the job not Laurie (he stole his mask ffs). And then the final fight was cool. I first thought they killed him off too easy (and was a little mad at that) but then I realised he tried to strangle Laurie after his throat and wrist were cut open. And Alyson said "he's not dead" enough which confirms the only way to really k--- him is to destroy his body. The whole town (without Lindsey, sigh) having some sort of ritual was dope. So yeah, going with a love story wouldn't really be my first thought, but them trying something else was a good move imo. Its not in my top 5 for very good reasons, but I think its an interesting movie, with some very memorable scenes. And a good, definitive, ending. 7/10

Nowww the top 5 coming

Mar 28, 2024
  6. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Dec 1, 2022
    @Marsh just watched Black Phone. Need to finish my top 5 Halloween but...

The trailer of BP really made me think it was gonna be a horror movie. It wasn't. Yeah it had supernatural elements, but it was just a thriller. A great one though. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, really felt for the characters. I do think it was a bit rushed though: the killer, the sisters dreams, how the ghosts where connected. It could have been a little longer to explain a bit more. Also the father was so weird lol. Strange movie, a little rushed, and not a horror. But a good thriller with a touching story and with a realistic and terrifying subject (child abduction). 7.5/10

Marsh likes this.
    Marsh likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  7. Marsh

Dec 2, 2022
    It’s pretty much IT, it reminded me of it so much,

The daughter beefing with Jesus was my favorite part lmao

Mar 28, 2024
  8. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Dec 2, 2022
    Yeah that was hilarious lol. The actress did a great job btw. But I feel like that storyline was rushed.. no explanation at all. Same as the killer.

Mar 28, 2024
  9. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Dec 3, 2022
    5. Halloween 2 (1981)

Many people see this as the 2nd best Halloween movie and the only one that comes close to the original. While I agree that the first part really does continue the magic of Halloween, the 2nd part does bore me a little. I'm talking about the hospital scenes. Michael is at his best when he's creeping down the streets and goes into people's homes. A hospital or an high school (H20) as the stage doesn't really do it for me. Jamie again does an excellent job of course and so does Donald. Also, funny that Marion has a small role here (just like in the first) but returns for H20 ánd Kills. The ending of this movie really does feel like a 'final' one even if it really isn't. The thing that, imo, is the best out of all Halloween movies, is the score. This is by far my favorite Halloween theme which gives this a really halloween feeling. Good movie, top 5 worthy even, but not the 2nd best for me. 7.5/10

Mar 28, 2024
  10. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Dec 14, 2022

First teaser trailer. Looks like it will be Halloween!

Ripper Roo and Marsh like this.
    Ripper Roo and Marsh like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  11. Marsh

Dec 14, 2022
    Looks good, but Jenna should be the main character :Em6:

Ripper Roo likes this.
    Ripper Roo likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  12. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Dec 14, 2022
    4. Halloween Kills

Yes, I know many people will disagree here. You know how in horror movies people always make stupid decisions that (eventually) get them killed? I think running towards someone that has been burned down, shot, beaten up, and killed a whole fire department a few hours before with a baseball bat or a knife truly takes the crown. The 'haddonfield army' (after he got up again) was sooo f---ing stupid altogether, especially when they screamed that stupid evil dies tonight bs. Also, where was the police? Very, very weird. However, the idea of the town taking matters into their own hands I do like. Bringing back characters like Tommy, Lindsey, Bracket, Marion... great. But in the end that kinda was for nothing since they died like f---ing morons -except for Lindsey-.
    The main reasons Killed is placed so high for me, is simply because despite its flaws, its never boring. Where 'better' movies like H20 or Halloween have many boring parts, this one just keeps going. I love the opening/flashback scene, I also like the town getting together, and the many cool references and throwbacks. Silver Shamrock masks >. And, while Laurie is taking a backseat, Karen and Alyson steal the show. I also think Lindsey is great, and Brackets small part. The one , truly terrible character is Tommy. Paul Rudd did a waaaaay better job. You don't expect us to believe that the little p---- we saw in the OG grew up to be a bad boy? Very corny, and its also so stupid that after all these years preparing and 'being ready' he decides to go at michael with a f---ing baseball bat. Holy s--- lol. Glad they killed him and brought back Lindsey, who did have a worthy scene with Michael.
    Long story short, this movie is fun. Its flawed, but I enjoyed most of it and the throwbacks/references are very well done. Feels like a real Halloween movie to me It should have ended with Michael dying the way he did in Ends, and Ends being about Corey. But they obviously needed Michael for the advertising. 7.8/10

Marsh likes this.
    Marsh likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  13. jankland

jankland In My Cringe Arc.

Dec 14, 2022
    From what I heard the test screenings were so good for this movie the first go around that it's very unlikely they'll do another test or change anything from the original cut which is exciting!

Michael Myers and Ripper Roo like this.
    Michael Myers and Ripper Roo like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  14. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Dec 22, 2022
    2 & 3. Halloween 4 & Halloween 2019

I honestly can't pick one over another right now. Despite being 30 years apart, they are similar in many ways. Both have to ressurect a 'dead' Michael, start a new story after it's been ended in the previous film. Conclusion; huge pressure.
    Halloween 4 had to go back to its roots, even if Michael was pressumed dead in H2 and they moved on to another Halloween story. Instead of going back to Laurie, they introduced Jamie, supporter by (again) a great dr. Loomis. Its fun, its intense at times, and completely captures the Halloween vibe. Also, the Rachel character is one of the few in the franchise I really cared about. Its a shame Halloween 5 wipes away the ending and goes Thorn bs, but the start of the new trilogy was very promising!
    Halloween 2018 ignores all of this, even part 2. It leaves the ending of the original kinda open, until they showed us in Halloween Kills. Its a new and old story, with new characters and some veterans. The Halloween spirit is alive and even if I think podcasters are nerdy, that storyline was actually cool. But tbh, Karen and Alyson steal the show. And the doctor story was dope too. Michael is better than ever and yah, the ending is pretty much perfect. The throwbacks to other movies were well done too.

Both 8.7/10

Mar 28, 2024
  15. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Dec 29, 2022
    1. Halloween (1978)

The one that started it all. John Carpenters masterpiece. I do sometimes wonder, if it was just this movie, would 'Michael Myers' be as big as he is now? Would Freddy and Chucky be the household names they are if it was just the first Childs Play and Elmstreet? It's obvious Jason Voorhees wouldn't even be a name at all if it was just the first Friday the 13th... even if not all the Halloween movies are good; some are even bad or have very poor choices, it's the franchise as a whole that makes me a fan. I love the first movie, but watching 10+ Halloween movies around october 31st is just something else.
    Despite all that, this is the one that set the tone and made all the sequels, remakes and rip offs possible. A guy with a creepy white mask that stalks and kills babysitters, no supernatural ghosts or zombies... its so simple yet effective. The story alone doesn't make it a Halloween movie , but the soundtrack is what makes me associate it with the holiday. And the overall vibe, Halloween lore that sometimes is added, and the houses and people dressed up (which happens more in the later movies). A brilliant performance from both Jamie Lee and Donald. 10/10

Despite its flaws it really is my favorite movie franchise along with Scream. As much as I'm glad that it ended in a pretty good way, and I don't want them to undo it with some stupid excuse like Ressurection, I'm also kinda sad its over. I was so happy when they picked up the franchise in 2018!

But if they make another, it has to be a remake or with different people. We'll see......

Mar 28, 2024
  16. BIGFOOT

BIGFOOT More than a myth!

Dec 30, 2022
    Terrible ratings in this thread. I don't know what is going on inside of a certain someone's brain hmmmm

Mar 28, 2024
  17. Ripper Roo

Ripper Roo big me

Dec 30, 2022
    I haven’t thought about horror movies since October. I need to get back into them

Mar 28, 2024
  18. Marsh

Dec 30, 2022
    Nice top 5

Mar 28, 2024
  19. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Dec 30, 2022
    Come up with your ratings then GUTROT! Sounds like a Pokemon name smfhhhh

BIGFOOT and Marsh like this.
    BIGFOOT and Marsh like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  20. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Dec 30, 2022
    Me neither thats why it took so long lol. Haven't seen any, still got X and Smile on dvd waiting

Ripper Roo likes this.
    Ripper Roo likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024