Prodigy's cause of death revealed

Started by Ordinary Joel, Aug 4, 2017, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Aug 4, 2017
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4759386/Coroner-Mobb-Deep-rapper-Prodigy-choked-death.html

Coroner confirms that Mobb Deep rapper Prodigy's cause of death was accidental choking - possibly after eating an egg in hospital
    • Mobb Deep rapper Prodigy died on June 20 in Las Vegas at the age of 42
    • He had been hospitalized for sickle cell anemia, a condition he suffered his whole life
    • On Thursday, a coroner confirmed his cause of death to be choking
    • Friends previously claimed that he died while eating an egg in hospital

By JENNIFER SMITH FOR DAILYMAIL.COM

PUBLISHED: 11:14 +10:00, 4 August 2017 | UPDATED: 14:26 +10:00, 4 August 2017

A coroner has confirmed the cause of death of Mobb Deep rapper Prodigy was choking.

The 42-year-old star died in June after being hospitalized for sickle cell anemia in Las Vegas.

The rapper, whose real name was Albert Johnson, had to be pulled out of a meet-and-greet after taking ill.

At the time of his death, friends claimed he died by choking on an egg in his hospital room.

[​IMG]
    Mobb Deep rapper Prodigy died on June 20 of choking, it was confirmed on Thursday

The Clark County Coroner's Office confirmed on Thursday that the cause of his death was indeed choking but they made no mention of the egg when speaking to The New York Daily News.

Johnson had suffered sickle cell anemia his whole life.

The condition causes blood cells to take on a curved shape that can then cause blockages in blood vessels and it can be exacerbated by dehydration.

There were fears at the time of his death that the scorching 110-degree heat he was performing in may have exasperated his condition.

The rapper was in Las Vegas on the Art of Rap tour, alongside some of hip-hop's most acclaimed talent including Wu Tang Clan's Ghostface Killah, KRS-One, Onyx and Ice-T.

He had performed on Saturday night.

In a statement, Mobb Deep's publicist said: 'It is with extreme sadness and disbelief that we confirm the death of our dear friend Albert Johnson, better known to millions of fans as Prodigy of legendary NY rap duo Mobb Deep.

[​IMG]
    Prodigy was one half of the rap duo Mobb Deep. He is pictured with Havoc, its other star, in 2016

[​IMG]
    Prodigy was in the middle of a performing tour in Las Vegas when he was pulled out of a meet and greet on June 20. He's seen above in a photograph taken days before his death

'Prodigy was hospitalized a few days ago in Vegas after a Mobb Deep performance for complications caused by a sickle cell anemia crisis.

'As most of his fans know, Prodigy battled the disease since birth. The exact causes of death have yet to be determined.

'We would like to thank everyone for respecting the family’s privacy at this time.'

As news about Prodigy's death spread, fans took to social media to mourn and commemorate him - as did many of his celebrity peers.

Both old-school and new hip-hop artists commended the man that they identified as a true talent.

Mobb Deep came to national attention in 1995 with their hard-hitting sophomore album The Infamous, which was based on the pair's struggle to come up in their Queens neighborhood.

n9ne, Slyk, lasiiik and 2 others like this.
    n9ne, Slyk, lasiiik and 2 others like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  2. Caine

Aug 4, 2017
    That's a weird a--- way to go out.

n9ne, tnovello, Slyk and 2 others like this.
    n9ne, tnovello, Slyk and 2 others like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  3. Hard Klyntar

Aug 4, 2017
    somebody should sue the guy who leaked this info, how can you publish the actual information of his death if a death is pretty weird in this case. d--- you couldn't let this man keep his dignity.

Ezio926, lasiiik and Sqrt Sqrt like this.
    Ezio926, lasiiik and Sqrt Sqrt like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  4. asvdawg

Aug 4, 2017
    This is even more tragic than if he were to die from sickle cell.. however I am sure the sickle cell had already made him weak (since thats what he was in the hospital for), which probably made it easier to choke

Xmipod, Groovy Tony, lasiiik and 3 others like this.
    Xmipod, Groovy Tony, lasiiik and 3 others like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  5. hustleandcuss

hustleandcuss suck my robot d*ck

Aug 4, 2017
    This is misleading. When Havoc was on Vlad a few weeks ago he said that the autopsy report he saw said Prodigy died from choking while vomiting. The article mentions the coroner's findings but also an egg, which is NOT in the coroner's report, instead "reported by friends"... who, if they were friends, would never say that.

Apr 25, 2024
  6. BSCalrissian

BSCalrissian "Hip Hop and Rap yeah that's where my hearts at"

Aug 4, 2017
    s--- like that happens in hospitals
    it ain't like he was sitting there totally normal and choked on an egg

Pixel, Xmipod, Groovy Tony and 6 others like this.
    Pixel, Xmipod, Groovy Tony and 6 others like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  7. Tone Riggz

Tone Riggz There's No Cure For Being A C*nt

Aug 4, 2017
    Strange way to go out especially in a hospital. Maybe it was difficult to tell what was going on since he was in the middle of a sickle cell crisis.

Sqrt Sqrt and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  8. Sqrt Sqrt

Sqrt Sqrt Basketball Shorts with the Gonzales Park Odor

Aug 4, 2017
    http://www.xxlmag.com/news/2017/08/prodigy-official-cause-of-death-revealed/

The official cause of the late Prodigy‘s death has been revealed. Nearly two months after the rap legend’s untimely passing at the age of 42, TMZ reports that P died choking on an egg while he was being treated at a Las Vegas hospital.
    P had performed with Havoc for a Mobb Deep show in Vegas before enduring a sickle cell flare-up. For P, trips to the hospital were just a part of life as someone who’d dealt with sickle cell anemia for decades, so no one expected him to die once he checked into the Vegas hospital.

“We used to P going to the hospital, you know what I’m saying?” P’s friend and fellow Mobb Deep member Havoc explained to TMZ a short time after Prodigy’s death on June 20. “Not like every day, but we’ve been dealing with this for over 20 years. So, you know, P goes to the hospital, stays there for like three days, five tops, and he’d get back better than he out. So it wasn’t like no, nothing to be like, ‘Oh my god, he crazy sick.’ It’s just sometimes, he has sickle cell [crises].”

Hav wasn’t too concerned about P’s condition, but he did check in with him from time-to-time after departing Vegas. Unfortunately, things quickly took a turn for the worst.

“Yesterday, the day of my little son’s graduation, somebody called me saying that somebody told them they heard a weird rumor—and this is at 11’o’clock in the morning—they heard that P passed away in a Las Vegas hospital,” Hav recalled.
    He continued, “Now, I know that he’s in the hospital, but come on, I know he’s not dead. I mean, he go to the hospital all the time. You know, rumors always like that, get around like, you know, some dumb s---. So, you know, whatever. I was really laughing, to be honest with you. Because I had not directly spoken to P, but I knew his status every day since I left. But then I was like, let me call our road manager, you know, see what’s up, just to ease my brain, even though I know it’s a lie. So, he called them, and I must have called them back or he called me back, I can’t even remember because everything’s just so crazy. And the road manager was just crying like I never heard before and I just had to hang up the phone.”

Since P’s death, fans and rappers from all over have paid tribute to the Queensbridge legend. Nas honored Prodigy by performing his iconic verse from “Shook Ones, Pt. II” in the Netherlands. Kendrick Lamar and Eminem spit some P lyrics on Peter Rosenberg’s Real Late broadcast.

P’s death left a massive impact on the world of rap, and fans will be mourning his death for years to come.

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  9. Charlie Work

Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

Aug 4, 2017
    I'm glad we got to say goodbye without knowing that.

Apr 25, 2024
  10. SWERVO

SWERVO big cuntry's alias

Aug 4, 2017
    Imagine living your life and getting through some bad s--- through the years just to die from choking on an egg

Apr 25, 2024
  11. eddie313

eddie313 MUSIC TO BE MURDERED BY

Aug 4, 2017
    [​IMG]

Xmipod and Sqrt Sqrt like this.
    Xmipod and Sqrt Sqrt like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  12. Trackz

Trackz BARCODE

Aug 4, 2017
    really f----- up way to go. did he try to swallow a whole boiled egg or something?

n9ne, Groovy Tony, lasiiik and 3 others like this.
    n9ne, Groovy Tony, lasiiik and 3 others like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  13. golddust

Aug 4, 2017
    i thought he died from sickle cell. something doesnt seem right, he was going to make a musical about the illuminati and the subject of his last album.

Apr 25, 2024
  14. Ricky

Ricky Hip-Hop CEO ™

Aug 4, 2017
    cray

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    Apr 25, 2024
  15. JIGGA MANE

Aug 5, 2017
    NO HE DID NOT DIE BECAUSE PEOPLE WERE SCARED HE WAS GOING TO EXPOSE THEM FOH THIS AINT NO YOUTUBE ILLUMINATI s---

Apr 25, 2024
  16. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Aug 5, 2017
    [​IMG]

Apr 25, 2024
  17. Jakey

Jakey You Reckon

Aug 5, 2017
    Someone told me this right after his death and I havent heard it again since now. This real?

Sqrt Sqrt, Clive and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Sqrt Sqrt, Clive and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  18. Groovy Tony

Groovy Tony Grandma's baby Eddie Kane

Aug 6, 2017

Ordinary Joel and Sqrt Sqrt like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Sqrt Sqrt like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  19. Clive

Clive Mind Over Matter And Soul Before Flesh

Aug 6, 2017
    Some could say he felt very yolked......
    [​IMG]

But like @Jakey said my friend told me this way back when it was first announced that he died from choking on an egg. I suppose it's legit. That sucks.

Ordinary Joel, Sqrt Sqrt and Jakey like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Sqrt Sqrt and Jakey like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  20. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Aug 6, 2017
    This boiled my blood when I read it. What an over hard way to go...s---'s got my brain scrambled tbh. Illuminati poached another great just as they were about to be exposed. But on the sunny side, he's no longer suffering from sickle cell. f--- it ima go get baked to not think about this anymore.

Over medium & over easy.

Ordinary Joel, Clive and Sqrt Sqrt like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Clive and Sqrt Sqrt like this.
    Apr 25, 2024