Best Posts: Rate This Album I Archive

1. DKC

DKC hank trill

Oct 24, 2015
    @Loyalty was nice enough to create a user group for this thread, so join RateThisAlbum if you want to be tagged when this thread is updated. I will still tag people for the next few rounds until the group fills up. Let me know if you do not wish to be tagged anymore. Anyway...

Based upon 8 ratings, SectionEighty gives Midnight Marauders a 9.1

Next up...

[10/24/15] A$AP Rocky - At.Long.Last.A$AP
    [​IMG]

Decided to do a more recent album as @Maad City suggested. I chose ALLA instead of Long.Live because people seem more divided on it, and I'm interested to hear people's thoughts on it now that we've sat on it for six months or so.

@Narsh @Skippy @Flacko @Meero @Fire Squad @Five Star @WPG @Tha Story @Swizz @Bleed @Jet @Changeling @Fazers @Joshua Smoses @Kvp187 @MTY @Radeem @Charlie Strangelove @Peter Parker @Ordinary Joel @Maximus @Oliver Queen @Jakey @Mano @FreeAgent @Worm @able @captain awesome @Luke @Saladin @El Ares @gorealsteady @Franch46

Again, join RateThisAlbum if you would like to be tagged each round and let me know if you want me to stop tagging you altogether, as I'll still tag people for a few rounds until the group fills up. Thanks!

Mar 29, 2024
  2. Deadpool

Deadpool the end

Feb 18, 2015
    d--- b and i though i was important for a second

[​IMG]

PRHYME, ArthurDW, Creation and 4 others like this.
    PRHYME, ArthurDW, Creation and 4 others like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  3. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Jul 4, 2016

By far my favorite project this year. French's improvement as a rapper over the years culminates on Wave Gods where he does manage to keep your attention and brings a brilliant cast of guests to add their flavor to this project. All it's missing is a verse from the Wave God himself Max B.

Mar 29, 2024
  4. SWERVO

SWERVO big cuntry's alias

Jul 4, 2016
    7.8/10

One of my favorite projects this year. There's about two songs I'm not a fan of though.

The production was great and the features were all incredible. From Kanye and Nas on Can't Figure It Out to Quavo's renegade on Groupie Love.

Mar 29, 2024
  5. Fire Squad

Jun 20, 2016

I agree with everyone that The Chronic is a landmark album that familiarized everyone with an immortal soundscape and some classic tunes. The thing that strikes me the most about this one (and all of Dr. Dre's work) is the phenomenal attention to the mixing/mastering, you can play this on any sound system and it'll still sound perfectly clean.

Honestly it's not an album I frequently have the urge to listen to and I always considered Doggstyle to be a superior album but it's still a classic nonetheless.

Mar 29, 2024
  6. WPG

WPG sxn80 Rory Gilmore

Jun 17, 2016
    ban

aquaberryares, Enigma, Meero and 3 others like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  7. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Jun 9, 2016
    Candy Shop the goat fapping material for pre-teen Joel. :noahsweat:

Some great songs on this album but it's bloated. A lot more poppier than GRODT as well.

7.1/10

Mar 29, 2024
  8. Mike02

Jun 9, 2016
    The Massacre is interesting because it was noticeably worse than GRODT, yet far better than anything he's released since. It was also worse than Game's The Documentary, which was released a month earlier. This album was the first time 50 disappointed us in any way. He was absolutely flawless from 2002 (when he signed with Shady/Aftermath and debuted on the 8 Mile Soundtrack) to 2005 (when The Massacre dropped). Honestly I think the biggest mistake with the album was not using Outta Control (the original version) as the lead single. It's a club song, just 50, with one of the best Dre beats ever. It had all the ingredients to be In Da Club 2. But instead they went with Candy Shop or whatever. Imagine if this was the lead single...

Overall I'd still give the album an 8/10. By comparison I say GRODT is a 10/10, Curtis is a 6/10, and everything after that isn't even worth talking about. 50 was one of the greatest of all-time from 2002-05 but then he fell off hard and fast. I know a lot of people won't agree with me but I think the Game beef did irepreprible damage to his career. Game absolutely destroyed him, he turned 50 into "the new Ja Rule" He made it look corny to be a G-Unit fan, and 50 didn't even fight back.

Mar 29, 2024
  9. Fire Squad

Jan 24, 2016
    Based on 10 scores, Section Eighty gives Pluto a 7.1
    Pretty fair score actually considering he turned into a monster and continued his artistic growth in the proceeding years. Pretty dope to see how far he's come along and that this album was no fluke regarding his capabilities and popularity. Next up we have...
    [​IMG]
    T.I's King
    Seems like I'm going for an Atlanta only trend lol. Nonetheless this titanic album is turning a decade old and all things considered was a very key album in one of the best rappers of the 2000s catalog. A quick glance at the tracklist and you will very likely recognize a track or two from this album. As always feel free to give a score along with a small blurb/review. @RateThisAlbum

aquaberryares, DKC, Bojack and 3 others like this.
    aquaberryares, DKC, Bojack and 3 others like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  10. Fire Squad

Jan 8, 2016
    Based on 14 scores, SectionEighty gives WTT a rating of 7.5/10

Interesting but fair score for one of the most significant rap projects in recent memory, the hype and anticipation was out of this world.
    For the next installment were gonna go with...
    [​IMG]

Lupe Fiasco's The Cool
    This was another project that seems to get a lot of different answers depending on who you ask. For some it's a decent follow-up to others it's even better than Food & Liquor. As usual feel free to give a rating as well as a small blurb or review of the project @RateThisAlbum .

Groovy Tony, Jakey, coca and 3 others like this.
    Groovy Tony, Jakey, coca and 3 others like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  11. Jakey

Jakey You Reckon

Jan 7, 2016
    BALL SO HARD! Man I don't think that I could give it anything higher than an 8/10.

There is a lot of individual brilliance on this album. Songs like No Church in the Wild, n----s in Paris and Otis stood out from the others for me. There are a couple of songs where I thought some of the bonus tracks should've easily replaced it, but overall it was a solid project. A lot of decent songs. Jay-Z and Kanye have great chemistry together.

I love Otis, Kanye just knows how to sample Otis Redding's voice into his songs, he did it really well with Gone on Late Registration which is one of my favourite tracks on that album along with Otis on WTT. I also thought Frank Ocean killed it on this album. NIP is a classic song, God d--- this song was played everywhere.

Both Kanye and Jay-Z have made better projects individually but this was still fun to listen and I'm glad this happened.

Mar 29, 2024
  12. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jan 6, 2016
    Replacing a few of regular tracks with a few of the bonus tracks and this could have been near the top of both of their catalogues...though I do kinda like how they play out as an "encore" after the silence and then interlude on the last track. I've always liked how this album kinda played out as a lavish "show" with the interludes. There's a few missteps in sequencing/track choice that bring it down a bit, but the highs are high enough that they more than make up for it.

Luxury rap, the Hermes of verses
    Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive

8/10

Fire Squad, Bunk, Poohdini and 3 others like this.
    Fire Squad, Bunk, Poohdini and 3 others like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  13. Fire Squad

Jan 6, 2016
    Join RateThisAlbum if you would like to be tagged each round and let me know if you want me to stop tagging you altogether, as I'll still tag people for a few rounds until the group fills up. Thanks!

For this time around we'll discuss:
    [​IMG]

Watch The Throne By Jay-Z & Kanye West

I've seen that this one tends to divide a lot of opinions considering the two biggest rappers decided to link up together for a full-length LP. Feel free to post your ratings (preferably in bold) and a blurb or summary of the project. @RateThisAlbum

Mar 29, 2024
  14. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Nov 3, 2015
    Favourite tracks: At the Light, Fight or Flight, 4 Min of h--- Pt 3, Mamma I'm Sorry, On My Soul, Still f----- Up, Love 2 Stunt, Write Your Name

d--- that was a great listen! So much energy and aggression. The whole tape had some anthem-like production and momentum.

I love Herbo's mic presence. I'm not sure who he reminds me of to be honest but I love it!

I'll refrain from giving a rating for now. Will listen to a few more times before I s---t out a score. I've been sleeping on Herbo for too long. :wow2:

DKC, Lamont, Maad City and 3 others like this.
    DKC, Lamont, Maad City and 3 others like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  15. Tha Story

Apr 7, 2015
    What the f---... People who are born in 2000 are old enough to be posting online. s--- I feel old

Mar 29, 2024
  16. CODEiNE DEMON

CODEiNE DEMON One foot stuck in the tarpit of my ways

Apr 7, 2015
    No one wants to review Under Pressure

Ordinary Joel, Lamont, WPG and 3 others like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Lamont, WPG and 3 others like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  17. Peter Parker

Peter Parker your boy

Mar 4, 2015
    I absolutely love this album. The chemistry among these cats seems so natural, no matter how many times you listen to this record; the way they go back and forth, the steady flows on some beautifull, jazzy production, and the demonstration of pure skill, even when they're not saying something memorable, make this a great debut album which is often overlooked. Of course it's among the best records that the Hieroglyphics crew had to offer (SoM are part of Hiero, along with several other rappers like Del the Funky Homosapien) and it might be accurate to say that this album influenced the overall sound of this rap collective.

If you guys (@LukeS80, @BroadStBully2 and everyone else) haven't listened to this yet, please check it out when you have time, listening to the title track (which is my favourite, and among the stand-out songs from this record) will be enough to persuade you to check the whole thing, and maybe lead you to explore some other stuff like Deltron, or Mics Of The Round Table etc etc. I don't think that you'll be disappointed.

I'll give this album a 9/10. It might sound a bit too generous, but I love it, it's enjoyable, it's fun and still sounds fresh. Excellent choice @BigCountry!

edit: the title track:

Radeem, Fire Squad, Griff and 3 others like this.
    Radeem, Fire Squad, Griff and 3 others like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  18. Fire Squad

Jan 9, 2017

This album made me feel like I was in 06 again walking around with a Nextel bleep phone meanwhile a big a--- Hummer drives by blasting D4L followed by an Escalade that was likely bumping something from T.I's King. Jokes aside this album was a pleasant surprise;

Like Charlie said there is a nice group dynamic from Crime Mob in that no one really stands out but it doesn't hamper the final product. The biggest shocker to me was that they don't feel like a generic act either, the sounds and rapping grab distinct influences from many major Southern regions but they manage to carve a lane that works for them. It's not mind-blowing music but it's a nice nostalgic trip to what was to me a very fun time in rap.

Mar 29, 2024
  19. WPG

WPG sxn80 Rory Gilmore

Aug 12, 2016
    Ok Perry

Enigma, DKC, Ordinary Joel and 2 others like this.
    Enigma, DKC, Ordinary Joel and 2 others like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  20. Boos

Boos Nova Nation

Jul 30, 2016
    When I first heard this project it was my first time listening to Travis Scott. It was just after Labor Day in 2014 where I saw Kanye at a festival and Travis came into the crowd during BOTL, so I thought he was dope and I should check out his music. I thought DBR was this real innovating project and I loved it. Then once I realized it's mostly him taking cues, to put it lightly, from other rappers, the project went down a notch in my eyes. Either way, I still really like a majority of DBR.

6.5 rounded up to a 7

Ordinary Joel, Skippy, DKC and 2 others like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Skippy, DKC and 2 others like this.
    Mar 29, 2024