Rate This Album I Archive

Started by DKC, Feb 18, 2015, in Hall of Fame Add to Reading List

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raziel

Raziel Ice like Paul Wall but I can't take mine out

Feb 24, 2015
    Mannnn...I have this strong desire at least once a year to really dig deep into the outkast discography and find something to marvel over, something that's going to click with me internally and make me understand their appeal. It never happens. Don't get me wrong I love Andre 3000s guest features as well as Big Boi but I've always struggled to enjoy their music. This album was no different initially when I tried listening to it when it was first released. I can definitely say on my first listen I probably only liked Shine Blockas and Hustle Blood; so upon seeing that @BigCountry chose this album for us to listen to I was pretty disappointed. I was wrong. This album is amazing. What I initially wrote off as indecipherable nonsense suddenly bumped out of my speakers with a clarity that was pristine. The beats are funky and Big Boi compliments them as if they were tailor made for him. I enjoy this immensely and will be listening to it regularly. If I had one complaint I guess it would be around track 10 I start to want to turn the,album off but it picks up pace rather quickly
    8/10

DKC likes this.
    DKC likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  2. JXY

JXY

Feb 25, 2015
    8/10

Great effort from Big Boi. One of my favorites from 2010

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  3. DKC

DKC hank trill

Feb 25, 2015
    Based upon 12 ratings, SXN80 gives Sir Luscious Left Foot: The Son of Chico Dusty an 8.1/10.

[2/25/14] Danny Brown - --- (You can download it for free at DatPiff, if you haven't heard it).
    [​IMG]

poopdogg, Narsh and Griff like this.
    poopdogg, Narsh and Griff like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  4. DKC

DKC hank trill

Feb 25, 2015

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  5. JXY

JXY

Feb 25, 2015
    8/10
    I actually listened to this after Old. I loved how consistent, fresh this album is and how he did the whole vinyl vibe thing successfully. The album closer is one of my favorite ones ever. The last 4 bars mixed with the instrumental breakdown give me chills every time I listen to this.

So the last ten years I been so f---ing stressed
    Tears in my eyes let me get this off my chest
    The thought of no success it got me chasing death
    Doing all these drugs in hopes of OD'ing next, Triple X

DKC, Rodamon and Peter Parker like this.
    DKC, Rodamon and Peter Parker like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  6. Peter Parker

Peter Parker your boy

Feb 25, 2015
    Great album that starts strong and has an excellent finish, I haven't decided if I like it more than Old but its closer, 30, is my favourite song on both these records. It's great how he uses his cartoony voice, and his eccentric character is among the most interesting in rap rn imo. Brilliant rhymes all over the place, whether we're talking about the introspective songs or the crazy/party/violent/druggy ones. This, Old and Black & Brown with Black Milk are definitely recommended if someone wants to get into him. The Hybrid isn't bad either, but it's kinda hit or miss and not that good overall, I love Greatest Rapper Ever though. It might be hard to get into him because his voice may sound r-----ed at first, but his music's def worth your time.

8.5/10

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  7. MFING TREY

MFING TREY Got hella hoes like a Home Depot

Feb 25, 2015
    8.5/10 - Really underrated project by people not on this site. Smooth beats, funny rhymes (most of time), and awesome flow

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  8. Griff

Griff SL Jenkins

Feb 25, 2015
    8.6/10 - This was my introduction to Danny Brown. I was at first put off a bit by his voice, but I kept wanting to listen and it ended up growing on me like crazy. First four songs are my favorites, but this is an album I can thoroughly enjoy playing from beginning to end. Love the variety of styles and the dark, rugged production. One of 2011's best.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  9. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Feb 25, 2015
    Imma skip the rating for this one 1. Danny Brown is an exceptional MC but that voice kills it for me and 2. Haven't given this project a fair/objective listen. Will appreciate it if you can keep me in the mentions for next time @BigCountry :emoji_thumbsup:

DKC likes this.
    DKC likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  10. Winter

Winter Super Comfy

Feb 25, 2015
    8.5/10 - Well produced and surprisingly funny. Danny is one of the best, and most underrated, rappers in the game right now.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  11. Charlie Work

Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

Feb 25, 2015
    The first draft of Old, --- captures the mania that is Danny Brown in a more raw form. The songs are all pretty short but so focused and potent with material that they stick with you. His writing is self-described "bottled lightning", concerned with organic creativity over showy technical skill. Hints of his :self-destructive habits surface on A-side tracks like Die Like A Rockstar which might very well be a premonition. The dark side is often buried underneath his hedonistic embrace of sex, drugs, and total disregard for civility. On the B-side his feral, nasally delivery is replaced by a drab, conversational one. The contrast feels like a pharmaceutical crash perfectly complimenting the bipolar rapper. This anecdote might be the best summarization of Danny that I've seen:

[​IMG]

DKC and Peter Parker like this.
    DKC and Peter Parker like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  12. JXY

JXY

Feb 25, 2015
    @CharlieWork good write up, didn't really get the comic book part since I don't nerd out as much, maybe because it was hard on the eyes and I couldn't really zoom on it but what is your rating on this?

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  13. Charlie Work

Feb 25, 2015
    I've read 2 comic books ever. Watchmen was on Times' 100 Greatest Novels list. You might've seen the movie?

I don't like ratings. I tend to avoid them.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  14. Rodamon

Feb 25, 2015
    I absolutely love those lines. Still give me chills also.

Raziel and JXY like this.
    Raziel and JXY like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  15. JXY

JXY

Feb 25, 2015
    I understand, but the reason for this thread was to get an average from what posters rate it as. No worries though, I myself believe that rating albums in a wordy range (terrible, bad, decent, good, great, etc) would be more clarifying than in a number range, especially since what sometimes people write doesn't correspond to what they rate it, or at least in one's own personal opinion since someone's 6/10 - what they call bad, is my 3/10.

Regarding the comic books, I've read a few in my young days, it was mostly alien/predator/lobo stuff. I saw the movie watchmen but didn't enjoy it at all, despite having an open mind towards it. The character that you posted had a very unlikable persona, at least that's the impression I got from the movie, that's why I'm having trouble understanding your relation to Danny Brown. But I don't doubt the fact that you probably have a good reasoning for it.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  16. Charlie Work

Feb 25, 2015
    Word, I'm just giving my thoughts on the album. No numbers.

Maybe if you read it, you would understand:
    I heard joke once: Man goes to doctor. Says he's depressed. Life seems harsh, and cruel. Says he feels all alone in threatening world. Doctor says: "Treatment is simple. The great clown - Pagliacci - is in town. Go see him. That should pick you up." Man bursts into tears. "But doctor..." he says "I am Pagliacci." Good joke. Everybody laugh. Roll on snare drum. Curtains.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  17. Lamont

Feb 25, 2015
    Great album. The album that really got me into Danny.

8.5/10

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  18. JXY

JXY

Feb 25, 2015
    Yeah the comic works better once I can read it clearly. The bipolarity is clear to me now, or at least that's how I understand this but at this point I think we might understand the album differently.

From what you wrote, you seem to treat this as a showcase from a bipolar rapper showing both sides of his character, a - the good, positive thinker, b - the bad, negative hedonist.

I treat it a little differently. I see it as a person, who in this day and age, can cheat his way (party, take drugs, etc.) into a positive state of mind, but after everything is said and done, has a reflective journey that ultimately ends with a showcase of his personal frustration due to not achieving a level of success he thought he could posses at this point.

DKC and Griff like this.
    DKC and Griff like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  19. Charlie Work

Feb 25, 2015
    I think that's a bit too specific of an interpretation given that Old flips the formula around. The dichotomy is pretty clear as is the way drugs play into his personality. I wouldn't disagree with the "cheating himself into a positive state of mind" statement though. That seems evident.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  20. JXY

JXY

Feb 25, 2015
    I have always had a problem with taking things a little too literally, or as you put it - a bit too specific.

The dichotomy with drugs is that they really really (and I really can't stress enough how I mean it) really play a huge part in Old, and you can see it before you even pay attention to the album or the artist himself.

At this point, when you listen to Old, Danny is already a character. At the point of ---, I like to believe, Although I wasn't there for it, that it was a pretty shocking, although satisfying outcome for a rapper to come out of Detroit with that kind of style, attitude, creativity, and what is most important to me - conviction to create a really outstanding album that separates itself from the rest with ideas that satisfy you and open your eyes to new possibilities

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.