Reflection EP - CY-AR (out now)

Started by Cyreides, Jan 2, 2017, in Creative Add to Reading List

1. boyz n the suburbs

boyz n the suburbs In my city, I'm a young God

Jan 26, 2017
    Honestly don't care much for instrumental tapes, but you're one of the few exceptions. Listening to Deathly rn and I love it.
    Can't wait for this upcoming album.

Ordinary Joel and Cyreides like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  2. Cyreides

Cyreides gfy

Jan 27, 2017
    this was originally my favorite on TTT, but i ended up getting sick of it really quick

imo, pitch black/behind you>>>>>>
    tyty

Deathly still one of my favorites since the name/style change. What's your fav tracks from it? Least favorite? I love Haunting and Hills Are Silent (even tho it's a slower, more mellow jawn than the rest on there)

and me either, I'm stoked to see what people think of stuff like Dark Paradise

Apr 18, 2024
  3. Cyreides

Cyreides gfy

Jan 30, 2017
    another question i guess, since i didn't get much in the way of actual feedback

those who've heard my new stuff under CY-AR vs my old stuff as just Cyreides... which sound do you prefer or like more from me? i'm wondering cause i've been thinking about re-approaching Free, and some of my older work/sound moving forward. i just listened to some of Autumn Storm (and a few other things) for the first time in probably a year and it was very very very different to what i've been doing since changing to CY-AR

if anyone hasn't heard these and wants to, check here (it's where i just listened to some of my old s--- cause I deleted them from soundcloud/my itunes long ago)

barring sound quality due to s-----y old mixing/mastering/bad eqing, i'm starting to wonder if what i was doing then was far better, and i've been heading in the wrong direction since I scrapped Free

@CyreidesSXN @Ordinary Joel @tpk @Devil White @MW Music etc.

like listen to something like Caught In The Rain, G.S.K.Y.D., Inner Demons, or even Ice In Your Veins (again, barring the s-----y sound quality of everything) and then compare to more recent stuff like what's on Those Nights, Deathly etc.

thoughts?

Apr 18, 2024
  4. Inland Empire Rapper

Inland Empire Rapper My Life, Your Entertainment

Jan 30, 2017
    I've always said a mixture of both... Trap s--- for the mainstream and electronic music for the underground; you don't have to blend the styles but you can develop them individually. Despite how generic trap has become, it still sells and will get your foot in the door for your electronic music which will be appreciated by music lovers.

If you're really devoted you can even enter the pop music scene like Daft Punk did. Citing Starboy of course.

EDIT: I loved both sides of you, please don't stop doing either side because it feels boring. Find a balance, this will get you in the biz.

0 0
    Apr 18, 2024
  5. Cyreides

Cyreides gfy

Jan 30, 2017
    i'm honestly over the whole trying to make it thing though

this is more about like the music itself. i've been feeling for the past couple months now like i've completely sold out by going the direction i've gone, and my music is much simpler, and far less original than it used to be. and think it might be worse.

feel sort of like i've gone away from taking as many risks and restricting myself and what i want to do because of me trying to appeal to other people more, so instead of swinging and maybe occasionally missing, it's like i'm not even trying and i've benched myself i guess...

it's a weird position, because i actually like the music i make now too, but i think, like i said, it might be worse. i don't know if any of it really means much to me like the old stuff did, and i feel like i'm being lazy and not really putting the same effort in that i use to at this point.

anyway i think i'm like talking myself into a corner with this, i just really wanted to diiscuss it somehow lol cause it's been weighing on me for a minute now and its part of the reason i stopped for a month or so

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  6. Inland Empire Rapper

Jan 30, 2017
    I feel the same...

I want to make music for music sakes but if nobody appreciates what you're doing then what's the point? Making it ensures that you have at least someone to listen to your music and you have a small fanbase already but you could have a hand in making musical classics that b---. You could have your name spread around like "You know that CY-AR guy, he's got the dopest albums around."...

The only way to get appreciated is to make it whether through luck or perseverance. This decision will help you retain integrity and make your s--- appealing because hey, few people make music for themselves. I want to make music for other people but since other people don't f--- with me, I make music for myself atm.

But yeah, you are consistently praised for what you do regardless of any genre. It doesn't matter if you feel like you're lazy, you have more musical knowledge than me and that's saying something. That musical knowledge is your talent you can't get rid of no matter how hard you try.

I really hope people appreciate your talent, I want to spread the word about you because that's how good you are man. Don't let yourself bring you down, don't let autism bring you down. You can only bring yourself up at this point.

Apr 18, 2024
  7. Base Reality

Base Reality AKA Chewie

Jan 30, 2017
    I always make whatever I have in my head, I don't really ever try to set out and make a certain style, I just make whatever is in my head at a certain time and label it as a general/style/type etc. once its done, but that's just me

I'm gonna spend some time in the next few days and listen your projects and listen to what I think I like the best, honestly tho hat random dance track you just dropped was so dope, I wouldn't mind hearing more like that

Apr 18, 2024
  8. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Jan 30, 2017
    I've said before but I haven't felt the urge to check out your new stuff at all. I really enjoyed your old style.

Cyreides likes this.
    Cyreides likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  9. Cyreides

Cyreides gfy

Jan 31, 2017
    Yeah, like I make it for me, but I want to share it with other people and know that, you know, people actually get it and like it, because it's just about the only representation of myself I have to offer that's worth anything

anyways, i think this whole thing started when i was asking MTY for feedback on twitter and he blatantly disliked everything i'd give to him to listen to, and I felt like the more i moved towards a less electronic sound in the songs I sent him and more towards hip hop it seemed like he liked it more (even tho at the end of the day, he still didn't like it much, just slightly more), and i think I valued his opinion just a little too much, cause I ended up scrapping Free in the months following that to go the route I've gone with CY-AR

so i did this to myself

which puts me where i'm at now with my music
    that's what i did for the longest time too, but since The Trap Tape I've just forced myself into a box with my music

and thanks ha. my music use to be a bit more dancy in a way
    d--- joel

tell me how u rly feel
    :noah:

jk

i'd noticed you'd sort of dropped off listening to the stuff i put out post-Cyreides

and i think i remember you saying something along these lines recently, but not quite worded this way so i don't think i rly got what you meant until just now

i'm thinking now that 2016 was a one off -the year of CY-AR at this point- and that I'm gonna go back to Cyreides following Reflections release... if it gets released. I may only put out a handful of the tracks like Dark Paradise/Dreams, since those are the closest to my old style that I've made since the change, or I may just unceremoniously drop the whole thing tomorrow, who knows.

i'll say one thing at the end of all this, this taught me some valuable production lessons in the end and got the sound quality of my work up waaaaaaay higher than it use to be, but the days of CY-AR are numbered now

Base Reality and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Base Reality and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  10. CJ Poe

CJ Poe The Dark Vegan

Jan 31, 2017
    I personally think you should just do a mixture of both styles.. you transitioned to the "new" style quite well, just do them both

Similar to how I do with the Embrace The Strange stuff and my usual stuff

Apr 18, 2024
  11. Inland Empire Rapper

Jan 31, 2017
    d---... Don't listen to MTY, he hipster trash.

I would try to find electronic producers around your area and make friends with them so you could get honest criticism instead of people who like one singular style... Your CY-AR stuff was very good, original trap that even Metro Boomin' can't produce but you shouldn't produce to get MTY's approval. If he hates your work then he's never going to like your work. Ever.

If you didn't delete the files for "Free" then maybe you could start work on it again and complete the masterpiece. Don't let it become Weezer's "Space Opera" or Dre's "Detox".

TBH I've been dying to see the return of Cyreides and I'm hoping that you manage to bring some new tricks into your familiar style.

Cyreides and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  12. Cyreides

Cyreides gfy

Jan 31, 2017
    out now

@CyreidesSXN @CreativeSXN

Music, YaBoyTr, Base Reality and 4 others like this.
    Music, YaBoyTr, Base Reality and 4 others like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  13. 83837477

83837477 Test Account

Jan 31, 2017
    I'm so proud of you! :emoji_heart:

Apr 18, 2024
  14. Cyreides

Cyreides gfy

Jan 31, 2017
    yeah, that was mb tbh

i thought maybe i'd better appeal to people if someone like MTY liked it, but i've realized he's insanely picky and i don't know why i wanted his approval if he doesn't even fk w/ my influences in the first place, like, he's definitely not ever going to like my s--- in that case
    i didn't delete the original files, however, with the album removed from my itunes months and months and months ago, I'm not sure what the tracklisting/order was looking like. i honestly need to have a listen through some of it soon, I can't get Leaving out of my head and I've been dying to work on that somehow or release it or something. it almost made it onto this EP

which btw, Dark Paradise is highkey my favorite thing I've ever done under CY-AR. it's the absolute closest I've come to my old style since my work on Free

Apr 18, 2024
  15. Inland Empire Rapper

Jan 31, 2017
    Rule #1 in anything, never s--- up to or change your style for one person only. Multiple people yes but not just one.

Anyways, I would playlist the s--- and sequence it based on what connects the most. You don't need iTunes to number your own tracks, you can just change the filename and add numbers to the beginning of it. I do it all the time because it helps me keep track of the sequencing and it's easy as s---. I used to use a playlist to sequence my tracks but now I sequence based off of what the flow might be and how the sounds connect with each other.

Hope this helps.

Apr 18, 2024
  16. Ordinary Joel

Jan 31, 2017
    Dreams and Dark Paradise were pretty good, my favourites from the project.

Cyreides likes this.
    Cyreides likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  17. Cyreides

Cyreides gfy

Jan 31, 2017
    well with free there was a storyline and it was sequenced the way it was because of that

as far as itunes goes, ik i don't need it for this, i just literally always use it because that's my preferred media player and i listen on my ipod, and i organize everything in my itunes library already so it helps me get a better feel for my stuff that way, especially seeing it in there with the album art
    they're definitely my favs too

imo

Dark Paradise>Dreams>>>Farther Away>>>>>>Just A Nobody

Apr 18, 2024
  18. Cyreides

Cyreides gfy

Jan 31, 2017
    found the tracklist for Free saved in a notepad doc

1. Gone
    2. Interlude I (Rejection)
    3. Defiant
    4. True To You
    5. Need Us
    6. Interlude II (Sins)
    7. What You've Done
    8. Far Away
    9. Just Breathe
    10. Interlude III (Abandoned)
    11. Lost
    12. You Against The World
    13. Move On
    14. Found Myself
    15. Interlude IV (Free)

Music and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Music and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  19. Cyreides

Cyreides gfy

Jan 31, 2017
    okay

well this is sort of f-----

i ran out of upload time trying to upload what i had done of Free now that it's all in one place again, and so i deleted some private tracks and it still wouldn't refresh my time, so i logged out to log back in thinking it would fix it... and now my password is wrong and the email that was used for the account has suddenly been changed... so I think I just lost my soundcloud account...

EDIT: no, nevermind

i'm r-----ed

i forgot about the '-' in my artist name for my signin

Music, 83837477 and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Music, 83837477 and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  20. Ordinary Joel

Jan 31, 2017
    f---.... :ohno:

Cyreides likes this.
    Cyreides likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024