Politics Revisitting: When Mos Def got shredded to pieces by Christopher Hitchens (rappers talking politics?)

Started by Cunner, Aug 8, 2016, in Life Add to Reading List

1. Cunner

Cunner belter skelter

Aug 8, 2016

mods move 2 music if you wanna idk which f---in thread this s--- goes in

rest in pieces mos. painful to watch as a huge fan of his music but it reminds me of how cringeworthy and uninformed rappers sound when they try to make political statements (usually spouting whatever trendy left s--- is going at the time)

do you think rappers should use their voice no matter how uninformed they are? a la that YG song. i mean obviously i agree w/ the sentiment but i cant help but cringe at that kind of stuff like these dudes dont know the first thing about how the world actually works outside of their town. which brings me to my next point, should they even be expected to? rocky caught a bunch of heat because of his comments about BLM lately and honestly i think of rocky as a lovable, charismatic airhead its really not his place to talk politics i dont think he should have to its obviously not on his radar which i think is what he was trying to say although he butchered tf out of that situation but black twitter dragged him through the s--- hard which i think is unfair someone shouldnt be expected to have the answers like that just because they're famous and black. however, i think rappers kind of do more harm than good even though they mean well american politics just feels like two teams of people shouting "hey f--- you guys! oh yeah, f--- me? f--- you too!!!!" and so on and so forth w/o any actual productive dialogue and then you have vic mensas cringeworthy a---. yikes. i think they should be more like kanye and realise as an artist they have no obligation to speak on political matters just because everyone else is oh well idk this just kinda turned into a rant what do u think? anyone that got this far into thing thing probably takes an L i dont think im gonna even proof rread it tbh

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  2. Clive

Clive Mind Over Matter And Soul Before Flesh

Aug 8, 2016
    They'll be asked because they have many fans. So if you got certain views you maybe able to sway your fans to believe in such views as well. But when they're incorrect like you said they can be thought of as, "Well he's just a rapper he's not a politician". In YG's fdt song there really wasn't much substance to it from what I heard aside from "f--- Donald Trump". It was a pretty vague track.

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  3. Cunner

Cunner belter skelter

Aug 8, 2016
    Hm ya I guess I just wish some of them had the voice + knowledge to back it up like I feel like 99% of YG fans already hate trump just feels like a redundant statement

I posted the mos def video because you'd think he would be the one to talk but still gets picked to pieces by someone who really knows what they're talking about unfortunately

The one thing that stood out to me lately is killer mike and urging black people to only put their money in black banks and only shop at black owned stores idk how that works exactly but at least it's something and he's a great example of a rapper who has obviously done some research

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  4. Lamont

Aug 8, 2016
    Gee, what do you know, Mos Def was partially right. Iran will be developing nuclear weapons eventually.

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024
  5. Tone Riggz

Tone Riggz There's No Cure For Being A C*nt

Aug 8, 2016
    I remember watching that unfold live and covering my eyes because of how cringeworthy Mos was. You've got Hitchens and Salman Rushdie there, don't make yourself look dumb like that. I think someone like Immortal Technique is better suited for that format. He would at the very least express himself better than Mos did. Killer Mike did a much better job than Mos on Bill Maher's show.

I think if rappers know how to conduct themselves in convos like these, then they should be able to. Technique, Killer Mike, Brother Ali are people who know how to express themselves and know when to listen.

0 0
    Apr 24, 2024