Rootbeer - Fear of Success

Started by Rootbeer, Jun 29, 2016, in Creative Add to Reading List

1. Rootbeer

Jun 29, 2016
    I've been a member of the community since SL first launched in 2011 and in the past 5+ years I haven't once shared my music on here, largely due to a few specific members who I expected would say insulting things without even listening to it (as opposed to saying insulting things after listening to it).

Some chat with MW Music over in the Eminem Section last night prompted me to finally break that trend so here goes:

I released an album, Fear of Success, last month and I'm currently in the process of getting it to any pair of ears that will listen.

I did a writeup on the project as a whole on my website if anyone wants to learn about the creative process. My website also has a free download of the entire project and videos for the songs "Battle Rap" and "Perfect for Me."

My site: http://www.rappinrootbeer.com/
    Album writeup: http://www.rappinrootbeer.com/fear-of-success/

I'm also doing writeups on the individual songs as a weekly blog series.

So...now this thread exists. Thanks for reading it.

Mar 29, 2024
  2. boyz n the suburbs

boyz n the suburbs In my city, I'm a young God

Jun 29, 2016
    I'll listen when Vol. 3 is done.
    I'm glad you're confident enough to share.

Rootbeer likes this.
    Rootbeer likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  3. Cyreides

Cyreides gfy

Jun 29, 2016
    i'll check this in a minute

Base Reality and Rootbeer like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  4. boyz n the suburbs

boyz n the suburbs In my city, I'm a young God

Jun 29, 2016
    Rush Hour is interesting.
    It has a really prominent amateur feel to it, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing.
    Lost In Depression was really good. It sounded really genuine, and definitely had some relatable s--- in it.

Is this self produced?

Mar 29, 2024
  5. Inland Empire Rapper

Inland Empire Rapper My Life, Your Entertainment

Jun 29, 2016
    I'll be honest, most of it blended in... this sounded like an Eminem album at times but it did get better in the end. If this were 2003 it would fit right in, no offense. You have the sense of professionalism that takes years of development and you definitely have what it takes... I really like the later half of the album and I really like that you can focus on other topics; I almost gave up on this album but you just need to find your place. Many of these rappers are experimenting nowadays, why not find your own path?

Seriously though, I'll see you in my watchlist because you really got determination and talent, just the wrong type of content.

Rootbeer likes this.
    Rootbeer likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  6. Rootbeer

Jun 29, 2016
    Thank you both for listening and for coming back to share your thoughts. Glad you each found something to enjoy.

Rawhide who guested on a few of the tracks did most of the production. I bought the beats for "Rush Hour," "PTSD" and "Midnight Snack." Recording was all me. Mixing was a collaborative effort between myself and a friend who does it professionally.

That late 90's, early 2000's era was definitely the most influential on me. The "dated" aspect of what I was creating was definitely something I considered throughout the process and I did experiment here and there (flows on "Workplace Hot," cadence on "Lost in my Depression," etc.) but in the end I wanted to create something that reflects the hip-hop that inspired me. Do expect some more experimentation with the next project.

As for topics, I love an album that's a complete bipolar mess. An album reflects a certain time in your life, and during that time you feel joy, pain, anger, etc. Why would I only focus on one?

Mar 29, 2024
  7. Base Reality

Base Reality AKA Chewie

Jun 30, 2016
    Glad I was able to convince you! I still have to check the rest of this out my self.
    Make sure to join the Creative Sxn in mention groups if you haven't done so already. @Rootbeer

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024