Sans Eminem, did Lil Wayne lowkey have the biggest run in hip hop?

Started by Kujaku67, Sep 10, 2020, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Jeans

Jeans Joe From Family Guy

Sep 16, 2020
    Eminem is only where he is today because he’s white and if you don’t accept that then you’re on of the stans I was speaking about. Wayne is also a better rapper and honestly a more legendary figure.

0 0
    Mar 28, 2024
  2. Kujaku67

Sep 16, 2020
    But, just looking at how busy Wayne was during the 2006-2009 era, dude was practically superhuman with his work ethic and charisma. He made you believe he was a GOAT, even if you were a purist. I stanned Wayne for like 3 months in 2008 when I was in my backpacker phase so that should tell you something...lol.

Da Drought 3 had me listening to his freestyled versions over the original songs. I couldn't even listen to Bey's "Upgrade U" without hearing Wayne in the background.

Wayne ain't in my top 5 but I've got a lot of love for the dude. He saved hip hop after Soulja Boy blew up, Shady/Aftermath went downhill, and Kanye started singing.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  3. Kujaku67

Sep 16, 2020
    Nah...As much as Em is past his prime, he's still skilled. A lot of White rappers blew up then fell off the face of the Earth. I remember going from thinking Paul Wall was going to be the next big White rapper in the mid 2000's to witnessing him become a nobody in the late 2000's...just like that. Ditto for Macklemore in 2013. By the time he released another album in 2016, it's like everyone forgot who he was lol. So, Em is clearly special or has a special ingredient that's preventing him from being brushed off to the wayside like so many other White rappers.

As far as who's a better rapper, Em is better when it comes to flow, assonance, and storytelling. Wayne is better at punchlines/wordplay and is more influential. They're both legends.

Mar 28, 2024
  4. Wreckless

Sep 16, 2020
    That's just your opinion.

I'm using numbers, which can't be argued. Eminem is bigger whether you like it or not.

Kujaku67 likes this.
    Kujaku67 likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  5. Jeans

Jeans Joe From Family Guy

Sep 16, 2020
    I am not saying he is not technically skilled and I agree with you on your point (except for Paul wall being a nobody). I’m just saying if Eminem was black he wouldn’t be as big as he is now, he’d just be another technically good underground rapper. That’s the reason his YouTube comments are filled with comments such as “Eminem is the best rapper there is AND he’s a white boy” or “rap is like a mountain, black on bottom and white on top” it “I don’t normally listen to rap I listen to AC/DC and led zeppelin but I love Eminem!” He benefits off of his skin tone an unmeasurable amount and that’s undeniable. Without it he’s just be another skilled rapper. There are people who deserve his spot more than him I think

Mar 28, 2024
  6. Kujaku67

Sep 16, 2020
    I meant Paul Wall went from being a superstar to getting ignored by the GP pretty fast. He's good in my book.

I get your point but Em had many other factors that kept his run thriving from the Dre co-sign, skillset, and putting out pop tunes like "Love the Way You Lie." It's not as easy as just being White. Otherwise, a g--- of White rappers would've copied the formula and thrived. I don't even see Post Malone lasting that long but I'll give him several more years before jumping the gun.

And Youtube comments are trash in general. Half of them are bots anyway saying the same exact comments for likes/responses. I did meet one guy irl who was like that in college around the time MMLP2 came out but I think Em being a huge artist plays a role in that too. Like how rap fans will claim not to like metal but big up Metallica because of how famous/iconic Metallica is with everyone. I've seen older people, even in my own family, shade hip hop but praise Tupac and I know it's cause Pac is one of the few rappers they know lol.

But yeah...screw those people who still think like that.

Mar 28, 2024