Sav’s Top 100 Rap/Hip Hop Albums of All Time

Started by Sav Stanfield, Sep 10, 2017, in Music Add to Reading List

1. jmillithauglybasedgod

jmillithauglybasedgod Pray For Lucifert 2R

Sep 12, 2017
    If people really care about other dude's favorite albums, maybe I should do one, too. Props to you for 100 d--- albums, though

Ordinary Joel and Sav Stanfield like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  2. Pablo

Pablo Dragon Z-azou

Sep 13, 2017

Ordinary Joel and Interlude like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Interlude like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  3. Cyreides

Cyreides gfy

Sep 13, 2017

Ordinary Joel and 1999 like this.
    Ordinary Joel and 1999 like this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  4. Sav Stanfield

Sep 13, 2017
    I’ve decided this list is going to evolve as it progresses. Some albums are going to change positions, others removed entirely. Looking at a few other top 100 lists I noticed I’ve made some glaring omissions. Might even have to actually expand the list once it’s done, if I’m not sick and tired of it by then. Anyways, let’s see how it goes for now. Here’s the tentative 89-85.

89. [2008] It Is What It Is - A.B.N. (Assholes By Nature)

Houston legends (and cousins) Trae tha Truth and Z-Ro teamed up in 2008 to produce some of the best work of their careers. I don’t claim to have heard either of their massive discographies in full, but from what I have heard this collaboration gives a pretty good indication of what they’re all about. The two emcees compliment each other perfectly, Trae’s rapid-fire gruff delivery plays off against Z-Ro’s calmer Texan drawl. These 2 are hook-making masters and their choice of instrumentals - thick with H-Town style screwed-up thumps keeps the project flowing in a stream of Southern bangers and more introspective cuts. The opener (linked below) showcases Trae and Z-Ro at their best, harmonizing over electric guitar riffs and the sounds of rumbling thunder, a precursor to the furious storm they unleash over the course of the rest of the tape.

Best song: Umm Hmmm

88. [2000] Violent by Design - Jedi Mind Tricks

At around age 13 or 14, I discovered Jedi Mind Tricks. 50 Cent and Jay-Z took a backseat to the new world of underground rap. Ras Kass, Canibus, Pharaoh Monch, Chino XL, Vakill. These guys didn’t care about making hits or record sales. These guys were real hip hop. Excuse me while I cringe into eternity. That being said, they’re still all (mostly) talented emcees and some of them made some great music. JMT’s greatest strength lies in their dynamism. I still believe Stoupe - a student of DJ Premier and Havoc - is one of the greatest and most under appreciated producers of all time and Violent by Design is his opus. Vinnie Paz on the other hand… eh. But In 2000, when the duo (actually, it was a trio at the time) released their second album Violent By Design, Paz had just changed his name from ‘Ikon the Verbal Hologram’ to Vinnie Paz; from otherworldly, ancient mythology aficionado and conspiracy theorist to a boom bap pugilist and was at the undeniable height of his powers, seamlessly integrating battle raps with his tangents about Jesus, spaceships and hieroglyphics, over Stoupe’s magnificent array of samples ranging from classical, latin and old school hip hop. Guest appearances from underground heavyweights are littered throughout the track list and they all add their unique flavor to the overarching sound of the 25 track spectacle.

Best song: Heavenly Divine

87. [1996] Soul On Ice

This album is dark. Really dark. So lyrically dense, it’s near-impossible to absorb everything on the first few listens. But its a masterpiece. In a 96 review, The Source called Kass the “West Coast answer to Nas” and they’re not too far off; just a lot more politically and philosophically inclined. And a lot more pissed off. Ras Kass splays his knowledge of ancient history, anthropology, mythology, the Black Panther ethos and the evil that men do over a collection of simple yet haunting instrumentals that give the rhymes the spotlight. Nature of the Threat is probably his best known song, his own take on world history (with a focus on the dark side of things). Yes, some if it is inaccurate, some of it is wildly homophobic and racist. But it’s impressive as f---, it’s daunting. His point rings clearly. “Jews don’t salute the swastika/but n----s pledge allegiance to the flag that accosted ya”. The rest of the album plays around these themes - Evil That Men Do is an devilishly dark look at Kass’ views on religion, mixed in with the story of his life, while the closer Ordo Abchao showcases his tremendous wordplay and wit. Another album that’s rarely mentioned amongst hip hop fans but an absolute must-hear.

Best song: Nature of the Threat

86. [2002] The Future Is Now - Non-Phixion

Another trip into my teenage backpacking days. This is probably one of the last that'll make this list though. Three white guys from The Bronx - Ill Bill, Sabac Red and Goretex - came together in 2002 to release this underground classic, The Future Is Now. Somehow Non-Phixion managed to procure a team of some of the greatest producers NY had to offer - Premier, Pete Rock and Large Professor are all behind the boards, though most of the songs are produced by Ill Bill’s brother - Necro. Say what you will about Necro (he really is a piece of trash, tbh) but the man can produce. For proof, look no further than Black Helicopters and Say Goodbye to Yesterday, two beautifully string-infused highlights. The trio of Bill, Sabac and Goretex keep things interesting throughout - topics range from paranoia (The CIA Is Trying to k--- Me), plain stomp-you-out battle raps (It’s Us), mixed in with a constant stream of sci-fi (Futurama) and horror (There Is No Future) and pop culture (Cult Leader) references. There’s even an MF DOOM feature. It’s a wild ride front to finish, the production and guest appearances are diverse and attention-grabbing - the trio’s own weird take on the 90’s second Golden Era. Definitely worth checking out.

Best song: The CIA Is Trying to k--- Me

85. [2009] The Burrprint (The Movie 3D) - Gucci Mane

You know I had to have Guwop on this list. I was actually a bit torn on this one. Very recently, Wop dropped a collab tape, produced entirely by Metro Boomin’ - Drop Top Wop, which has slowly but surely climbed up the ranks to one of my favorite Gucci projects of all time. I haven’t stopped bumping it since it dropped. But then again, I haven’t stopped bumping The Burrprint since 2009 so it wins this spot by default. I think its safe to say that this tape (and some of the other tapes released around the same time - Writing on the Wall is excellent) finds Gucci at his absolute best. The mixtape opens with the frantic Dope Boys and the assault doesn’t stop until the closer. Unlike The State vs. Radric Davis (his full length commercial project, which dropped in the same year), Gucci sounds unconstrained, having the time of his life and his energy is infectious, his voice booming across a wide-ranging palette of trap bangers, full of typically weird Gucci chicken-talk (Yelp, I Got All of That) and the occasional trips into his psyche (My Shadow).

Best song: Dope Boys

Apr 18, 2024
  5. Sav Stanfield

Sep 13, 2017

Apr 18, 2024
  6. jmillithauglybasedgod

Sep 13, 2017
    I'm a huge Gucci Mane fan, but I don't really like The Burrprint that much. It's not the worst thing I've ever heard, but there's a bunch of other Gucci projects that I like so much more. I was disappointed with it, especially with how hyped up it is as one of his best tapes, and everyone seems to really love it. Maybe I'll have to give it another go and see if my opinion changes

Apr 18, 2024
  7. Gustavo Jax

Sep 13, 2017
    [​IMG]

Sav Stanfield likes this.
    Sav Stanfield likes this.
    Apr 18, 2024
  8. aquaberryares

aquaberryares one time I made sex

Sep 13, 2017
    89 most def is dope but I've never been big on trae in large doses. Zero has a couple classics under his belt tho.

Also wtf you're doing these write ups for 100 albums. You should just publish a book

Apr 18, 2024
  9. Big Dangerous

Big Dangerous World Heavyweight Champion

Sep 13, 2017
    @Sav Stanfield dunno how tf you compiled a 100 album man, gonna have to give some of these a listen

Apr 18, 2024
  10. Kon

Kon

Sep 13, 2017
    :emoji_thumbsup: for having non phixion on here, they get slept on too much and the future is now is an awesome album.

Apr 18, 2024
  11. Sav Stanfield

Sep 13, 2017
    That's the beauty of Wop's discography, there's something for everyone. I havent heard it all but I can definitely recommend this, Chicken Talk and Writing on the Wall. first Trap God was great too.

yeah I really don't know their discogs well but this album always stuck with me, best of both. they have another collab album apparently but i've never heard it.

i have a feeling you're gonna be happy with the top 20

Apr 18, 2024
  12. Mraczewsky

Mraczewsky r.i.p. mac

Sep 13, 2017
    JMT legends, glad you included them
    Big ups for including best songs for each album
    Burrprint is goat, but I really didn't like DropTopWop, such underwhelming album imo
    You are doing great job

Apr 18, 2024
  13. Interlude

Sep 13, 2017

Apr 18, 2024
  14. aquaberryares

aquaberryares one time I made sex

Sep 13, 2017
    If u havent yet listen to zro let the truth be told. Satisfaction guaranteed. you'll wanna put it in the top 10

Apr 18, 2024
  15. jmillithauglybasedgod

Sep 13, 2017
    Trap God's my favorite Gucci mixtape(overall project, The State Vs. Radric Davis). It's a 10/10 project for me. The production, the rhymes, the hooks, trap classic.

Apr 18, 2024
  16. Sav Stanfield

Sep 14, 2017
    84. [2003] Rip the Jacker - Canibus

We all know the sad story of Canibus, how he burst onto the scene in the late 90’s, the infamous beef with Cool J and his flurry of disappointing album after disappointing album, culminating with him becoming the laughing stock of the battle-rap scene when he whipped out a notepad and started reading off it half-way through a battle with Dizaster. From bright young star to butt of the joke. The man’s a walking L. In 2003 however, teaming up with one half of Jedi Mind Tricks - Stoupe - Canibus put out the best album of his career, Rip the Jacker. Canibus’ biggest problem is his lack of diversity. Sure his vocabulary is immense and he can rattle off battle raps and punchlines for days on end but thats about where it ends. Here, on his fifth solo outing he finally takes the time to delve a little deeper, pondering his place in the game, the misunderstood genius, trying to figure out where it all went wrong. Not to mention the fact that he finally gets some decent production behind him, Stoupe is out in full force - Latin guitar licks, chaotic orchestral loops and Kool G. Rap samples. And the powerful instrumentals complement Canibus to perfection, a whirlwind of rhymes and rhymes and rhymes, til the meter says 9, 9, 9, 9.

Best song: Poet Laureate II

83. [2005] The Documentary - The Game

In 2005, I purchased a physical CD for the very last time. It was The Game’s debut, The Documentary. And I was hyped as f---. Looking back now, The Game is… alright. He’s by no means the towering hip hop great he’d have you believe he but his passion for hip hop, respect for his elders, love for his city and motivation to join the ranks of the greats is admirable. And he makes some good music now and then. Of course, nothing in his later career would ever compare to his star-studded Aftermath/G Unit debut. At a time when the L.A. lay pretty much dormant, The Game came through with a West-Coast extravaganza, backed by non other than the the good Dr. Dre himself and with all the power of Aftermath and G Unit behind him (not to mention Timbaland, Kanye and Just Blaze amongst others). The result is a near-perfectly choreographed jaunt back into Compton, relying heavily on nostalgia, expensive sounding production and 50 Cent hooks. The features are just in the right places and the beats are polished clean, positively gleaming. Game’s a notorious name-dropper but it worked on the Documentary, it’s consistent with the album’s theme, he chronicles his love and respect for hip hop, starting from his own Westside Story and ending with him looking to the future (Like Father Like Son).

Best song: Hate It or Love It

82. [1992] Music to Driveby - Compton’s Most Wanted

I discovered CMW from GTA San Andreas. Remember Hood Took Me Under? “I got another g--- story to tell/Peep, about how a black n----- was born in h---”. Building on the success of Compton contemporaries (most notably, N.W.A), MC Eiht, Tha Chill, Boom Bam and DJ Mike’s T third and probably most well-known studio album is an exercise in the art of gangsta rap, gangbangin’, b------s and blunts. Not to mention the cover art is iconic as f---. Eiht is the star of the show, his gloating and smooth baritone splayed over an assortment of funky, west-coast, hard-hitting instrumentals courtesy of Mike-T and co. The album opens with Hit The Floor, a frantic guitar-riff led slapper with a pounding drum-kit and an Ice-Cube sampled hook. The production throughout Music to Driveby is stellar throughout, from the creeping jazz-infused Hoodrat to the blaxploitation-themed Duck Sick II. N 2 Deep which has the lone guest appearance by none other than Scarface is another highlight. If you spend a lot of time cruising the streets of Compton in your impala, homies in the back, b----’s a--- in one hand, blunt in the other, ready to blast on these punk MFers - then this album was made for you.

Best song: Hood Took Me Under

81. If You’re Reading This, It’s Too Late - Drake

If it wasn’t bad enough that I put NWTS over Straight Outta Compton, well it’s a about to get a whole lot worse. Big Ghost put it best when he said “NWTS was when Theon Greyjoy went back to the Iron Islands, IFYRTITL is when he took Winterfell. (Views is when Theon become Reek).” IYTITL is my favorite Drake project. Drake’s been accused of being style-biter and its’ clear that on IYRTITL, he’s borrowing heavily from the ATL/trap sound that was (and still is) dominant on both the charts and the sound of rap today. But it worked in his favor. For once, Drake is aggressive and energetic (Energy) and earnest, in an interesting way (6PM in New York), instead of his usual simping self. It falters a little in the middle (I’m not a fan of PND) but picks up again (with a murderous Weezy feature on 6 Man) towards the end, not to mention that the first half is sensational. You & The 6 is a highlight as Drake pens a letter to his mamma, 6 God features a Donkey Kong sample which somehow landed up being the hardest song on the tape and overall this is by far the highlight of Drake’s career (for me, at least).

Best song: Energy

80. [2002] The Eminem Show - Eminem

If I had to tally up the albums I’ve listened to most while at gym, this would be first. (there’s another entry by a different artist on this list that comes in a close second though). Like The Documentary, The Eminem Show sounds manufactured, stainless, polished clean. Thats not taking anything away from it, many Stans proclaim this his greatest album, and I can see why. Others see TES as the beginning of the end for Slim Shady. And I can see that too. Speaking of Slim Shady, he’s faded a little into the background on this one. It’s no longer Shady the psychotic alter ego, nor Marshall Mathers the dysfunctional family man, but rather a mix of the 2 - Eminem the artist, pulling back the curtain and baring his soul for the world to see. The production on this album is d----near perfect. It’s almost all Eminem himself behind the boards (with a few Dre contributions added into the mix) and for once, it actually works. There’s not much more to say about TES, it’s been discussed to death. For me, its a good album, one of the last times we got to hear Shady in peak-form before his horrific demise.

Best song: Sing for the Moment

Apr 18, 2024
  17. jmillithauglybasedgod

Sep 14, 2017
    The Documentary
    The Eminem Show
    If You're Reading This, It's Too Late

Apr 18, 2024
  18. Mraczewsky

Mraczewsky r.i.p. mac

Sep 14, 2017
    list looking solid af so far

Apr 18, 2024
  19. Motherfker Jones

Motherfker Jones YaBoiD'Angelo

Sep 14, 2017
    Good list keep going my n-----

Apr 18, 2024
  20. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Sep 15, 2017
    Savvy list you got here. Add me to the mentions and consider me subscribed!

Sav Stanfield and Ricky like this.
    Sav Stanfield and Ricky like this.
    Apr 18, 2024