Eminem Saw Eminem at Boston Calling - a Papa Alpha Andy thread

Started by Captain Awesome AKA Papa, May 29, 2018, in Eminem Add to Reading List

1. Captain Awesome AKA Papa

Captain Awesome AKA Papa JMG owes me a DM

May 29, 2018
    Hi guys, wanted to let everyone know I saw Eminem perform - the first time! - this weekend at Boston Calling. I have a few thoughts, if you care to read.

First, some background. Like a lot of people my age, I got into Eminem in middle school... but at the time wasn't really a concert-goer per se. Even if I asked, doubt my parents would've let me go to the Up in Smoke tour, etc. And when I did eventually get into live music, it was more like Keane, Pixies, etc.

But, of course, by the time I had the means/interest to go to a concert - let alone, cough, sign up for a certain rap message board - Eminem was MIA. And has, largely remained MIA since ~2005 when it comes to touring. Like, I'm not flying to Detroit or whatever to see him lol. So it was to my great interest when Boston Calling announced him as the last headline. Stars were aligning... particularly as I've recently moved to DC and needed to close up my dope affffffff apartment.

It was slightly raining, but not enough to cause discomfort. Caught a few other acts - Thundercat, Decembrists, etc. - and got some food before settling in. My wife and I wanted to go full Stan and get a good spot to watch. We saddled up near the stage about 2.5 hours "em" (aka Slim Shady) was scheduled to go on. Initially, my plan was we take turns leaving - I wanted to see David Cross, she wanted to see Fleet Foxes. But the line from Cross was oddly insane, and when I got back around ~7:15 or whatever the crowd had grown considerably so we opted to hang.

To my surprise, the opener was .... MIKE D. Thought this was dope. motherfuckin' beastie boy. Here is a video:

that ended, and we had about an hour to k---. I'm jam-packed surrounded with teenagers at this point. and, i just want to echo the sage @WPG about you people.... or some of you people.... total mutants. Just wretched hillbilly lower class. Yuck. I mean, it was FINE but I can't imagine sporting an eminem shirt (in 2018!!!!!!!) with the haircuts and teeth of the sort of people here. Glad this was just a one-off for me, and not my profession full time lol.... shout out to @WPG again.

So..... the show finally STARTS:

pretty dope all around performance imo. good balance (setlist here):
    • two SSLP songs
    • five MMLP songs
    • five TES songs
    • one Encore
    • one Relapse
    • four Recovery
    • three MMLP2
    • three Revival
    Overall, he seemed pretty confident and at ease. As I mentioned to maybe @Swizz, he's certainly on legacy act/stadium anthem territory at this point.... but i don't think that's necessarily a bad thing for a 45 year old man two decades into pop stardom. It was genuinely, generally, a fun and refreshing show. (::stan hat:: he looks fit! glad he kicked the drugs)

Of course, his voice is shot lol.... could be increasingly we see depreciating returns there. He said he was hoarse, but i suspect this is just a problem moving forward. especially since, rly, seemed like he was actually rapping a lot of the material. few exceptions aside i hardly noticed backing tracks? (mr porter always there for crowd work.)

And, some of you stan-ettes may've seen: he discussed the nicki minaj thing/obviousy joke. i thought he was funny about it! naturally funny. again: refreshing, after spending x years here focused on his dad puns and duck walks****. in the end, he was pretty appreciative and playful with the crowd. and it wasssss cool seeing 18 year olds talk about how their dad/mom bought his first albums, but now they love Monster or whatever. just cool he's transitioned into that level of icon. having followed him since 7th grade or whatever, i was comforted by what i saw!!!

I created a playlist of all the videos I took if anyone's interested!

edit: on em's musicality: again, i really dug the live orchestra who accompanied him. made songs like Lose Yourself and Walk on Water genuinely beautiful sonically. Stan too. fun fact: one of the girls from the orchestra performed Kanye instrumentals at my wedding. yes, im cool.

*******i def laughed when he physically began to do jumping jacks during not afraid's infamous "exercise demons" line. few moments like that no question.

Knox, andy.cooper, Australia and 24 others like this.
    Mar 4, 2021
  2. Michael Myers

Michael Myers The Boogeyman is coming

May 29, 2018
    @Papa Alpha Andy I'm seeing him in July (also for the 1st time). Hope its gonna be as good as your experience!

FiveOh1, Macca, Buddha and 2 others like this.
    FiveOh1, Macca, Buddha and 2 others like this.
    Mar 4, 2021
  3. Big Mitch

Big Mitch You never made me ran once

May 29, 2018
    I had a friend there that said Eminem was the worst performance of the festival, but this all looks pretty sweet. Really nice videos. (on your phone?)

I woulda loved to see Lose Yourself live. My favorite Em song ever. Although I am a little disappointed in how hyped the crowd looked overall... maybe that's just cuz it's on video though.

Mar 4, 2021
  4. Captain Awesome AKA Papa

May 29, 2018
    so keep in mind it was chilly/rainy. i disagree though -- the crowds i saw were way less enthused than eminem. he had "marshall" and "shady" chants lol ffs. im wondering who he saw? also: i was up close. maybe it was different wherever he/she was???

also yeah man all iPhone.

Big Mitch likes this.
    Big Mitch likes this.
    Mar 4, 2021
  5. Guma

May 29, 2018
    I was thinking about going there too, but feel asleep and forgot to buy tickets lol

Buddha and Michael Myers like this.
    Buddha and Michael Myers like this.
    Mar 4, 2021
  6. WPG

WPG retired

May 29, 2018
    yeah, as (i think) i wrote after coachella: not bad!

i do find it a little depressing/retrograde to see him stuck in 2004 re: the way his hypeman dominates the stage at times and the way he's given to schmaltzy graphics and goof-machismo schtick. you would think that the stage shows put on by some of his contemporaries (jay) and newcomers (kendrick et al) would give him cues for where to go with his live production. and this isn't me clamoring for some huge, grandiose thing––i actually think he could strip away pieces of his set and make it more (for lack of a better word) intimate.

Mar 4, 2021
  7. attila

attila Head in the clouds

May 29, 2018
    Thought it was the nutty professor in the first video.

0 0
    Mar 4, 2021
  8. rapmusik

May 29, 2018
    Good read! Would love to see him live at some point. God forbid he come back to Canada

0 0
    Mar 4, 2021
  9. joeyp363

May 29, 2018
    I wish he would come up to North Dakota and perform

0 0
    Mar 4, 2021
  10. Mikey

May 29, 2018
    You see that example is one of Eminem's problems.

He is so afraid of change. Still making Pop/rap among other examples.

Mar 4, 2021
  11. JB21

May 29, 2018
    Ty for this. MD represent

0 0
    Mar 4, 2021
  12. LLLMMMMFFFFFAAAAAAOOOOOO

LLLMMMMFFFFFAAAAAAOOOOOO humans are just recycled star dust

May 29, 2018
    I thought this was gonna be a thread about how he was rude and tried to walk out without paying for candy bars and then asked for them to all be scanned individually to avoid interference.

I'm disappointed.

0 0
    Mar 4, 2021
  13. joeyp363

May 29, 2018
    This has gotta be one of the gayer threads I've stumbled upon.

0 0
    Mar 4, 2021
  14. Captain Awesome AKA Papa

May 29, 2018
    Yeah, I don’t rly disagree but it didn’t rly bother me. Like it’d be nice if mr porter wasn’t there but - I assumed, perhaps wrongly - that’s out of necessity? You’re right it’s dated buttttt then again this was a nostalgia trip for me lol.

Also idk, I’m not sure how Coachella looked, but this setup was fairly plain. Video intro where eminem is a human giant, kind of inspired by that Anne Hathaway movie I assumed. Obvious metaphor lol. Then the backdrop is a Detroit bldg that slowly burns to the ground and is destroyed throughout the show. And he has a few songs clearly designed to be intimate and offset the anthems. (Him using gunshots for shock value should def be retired tho lol)

Been a few years since I’ve seen jay (close up at Fenway) and Kendrick (...far away) so can’t rly comment there?

Mar 4, 2021
  15. Captain Awesome AKA Papa

May 29, 2018
    Shut the f--- up

Mar 4, 2021
  16. joeyp363

May 29, 2018
    [​IMG]

0 0
    Mar 4, 2021
  17. eddie313

eddie313 MUSIC TO BE MURDERED BY

May 29, 2018
    Sing for the Moment from this was classic wow! Nice!!! Boston was lit

Mar 4, 2021
  18. Charlie Work

Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

May 29, 2018
    Did you see Conway and Westside Gunn's set with Alchemist?

Also, ew at attending an Eminem performance.

0 0
    Mar 4, 2021
  19. Captain Awesome AKA Papa

May 29, 2018
    And what’d u do Sunday nite chuck

Mar 4, 2021
  20. Charlie Work

Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

May 29, 2018
    Got drunk on wine coolers and had a meltdown where I kept tagging @Vahn

Donkey Kong Country likes this.
    Mar 4, 2021
  21. Captain Awesome AKA Papa

May 29, 2018
    you wish your Memorial Day wknd was even remotely that eventful b----.

You’ve embarrassed yourself here far more times than I can count. Pathetic

Mar 4, 2021