Separating the artist from the art

Started by SHUDEYE, Nov 24, 2019, in Music Add to Reading List

1. DKC

DKC hank trill

Nov 26, 2019
    I think you're right that we're not responsible for the actions of s-----y people, but I personally do believe we (or I at least) have a moral obligation to not celebrate rapists and pedos.

Idk, when I heard about Gibbs' r--- case I was so genuinely disgusted by the allegations that I didn't listen to his music for almost a year. But luckily that turned out to be one of the rare situations where I actually believe it was a false allegation based upon the video evidence that absolves him from the scene + some other circumstantial stuff. And Gibbs has been A1 by saying "this is an extremely rare case and is not a reason to not believe women."

I've never heard people pretend they never liked an artist when sketchy stuff comes out about them, but when they stop listening I think it's just a feeling of guilt or disgust that outweighs their want to listen to an artist. Like @Winter said I can never listen to R. Kelly again. Like how can I listen to these songs where he's talking about f---ing tons of women knowing he has hundreds of tapes of child p--- and is probably referring to children in a bunch of these songs?

Mar 29, 2024
  2. Rodamon

Nov 26, 2019
    bravo, rock heads usually are closet racists and have the worst music taste in the planet

Ordinary Joel and DKC like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  3. JFK

JFK Bleach on my t-shirt

Nov 26, 2019
    I hate this argument. Art reflects the artist.

Mar 29, 2024
  4. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Nov 26, 2019
    Dumb post

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  5. Rodamon

Nov 26, 2019
    exaggeration but kinda true many metal heads hate hip hop reggeaton etc saying its sexist or dumb but as BigCuntry said, they defend rockstats f---ing underage women, being abusers, assholes... but deep down it has smtn to do wit race even if they dont realize

Mar 29, 2024
  6. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Nov 26, 2019
    First part I agree w for sure but outside of US not everything has to do with race lol.

I think it also has to do w age. Lots of rock heads are people in their 40's 50's w kids etc I can imagine that they don't wanna ride around listening to migos or eminem lol. Kind of embarrassing if u ask me. Plus most of them grew up w those rock bands. Again I do agree that they are hypocrites.

I can enjoy both rock and rap music and I accept that in every genre or whatever are disgusting people. Really no reason to point the finger at rappers for that, but also fine if they don't like it.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  7. Marshall III

Nov 26, 2019
    Koolo said he’s like a corn and peanut poop

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  8. DKC

DKC hank trill

Nov 26, 2019
    why is it embarrassing for someone in their 40s or 50s to listen to rap?

Ordinary Joel and SHUDEYE like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  9. DKC

DKC hank trill

Nov 26, 2019
    tell that to """Black Pete,""" one of netherlands' most celebrated icons

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  10. DKC

DKC hank trill

Nov 26, 2019
    also this is kinda a strawman, the vast majority of people don't instantly think a movie sucks because it has a problematic actor, they just choose not to view that actor's work because they don't want to promote the work of someone who they think is a bad person

Mar 29, 2024
  11. DKC

DKC hank trill

Nov 26, 2019
    I agree for the most part but I also think that this line of thinking is unfortunately used in situations such as court cases where the prosecution uses someone's art against them (Tay K, Drakeo, Melly, 6ix9ine, etc.). You shouldn't be allowed to use someone's art in court unless it's, like, to use a music video to prove someone was or wasn't at a spot where a crime was committed at a certain time corroborated by witnesses and a shooting schedule and such. Sure, it's looking like Melly most likely killed two people, but "Murder on My Mind" isn't evidence of that.

Art is a reflection of the artist, but that art and the artist are also not one and the same.

Mar 29, 2024
  12. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Nov 26, 2019
    Thats the thing u try to be funny but that comment exactly proves my point. Black pete was never ever about race until people started complaining about it calling it racism

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  13. DKC

DKC hank trill

Nov 26, 2019
    this isn't about race?
    "While Sinterklaas, portrayed as an elderly white man, arrives by ship and rides a white horse through parades across the Netherlands, hundreds of adults and children dress up as his helper, Zwarte Piet, wearing blackface, painted large red lips and black curly wigs, and some with large golden earrings."
    https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/f...utch-racism-full-display-181127153936872.html
    [​IMG]

Ordinary Joel and Rodamon like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Rodamon like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  14. Rodamon

Nov 26, 2019
    well reggeaton has been hated by metal heads and others for years and this genre is created and dominated by latino people, who happen to be a huge migration community in Spain,(where i am from) so yeah, at the end it has to do with race want it or not

Mar 29, 2024
  15. debauch

Nov 26, 2019
    Michael Jackson was a child molester and Chris Brown beat up Rhianna.

Both are the greatest r&b singers of all time (no debate).

I could care less what their personal lives entail, I'm buying their music not befriending them...

Wait, throw r Kelly in the mix and it turns out the top r&b singers are f---ing weirdos.....pretty sure usher did some fuckboy s--- too, lol.

asvdawg likes this.
    asvdawg likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  16. SHUDEYE

SHUDEYE Kerser is the sickest.

Nov 26, 2019
    I do definitely feel uncomfortable sometimes when I find out an artist has done something or they've been charged with something but I think we sort of put too much responsibility on ourselves to be some moral compass. Otherwise I may as well start feeling like I'm supporting serial killers because they supply good content for documentaries I like watching. My other point is everyone has skeletons in their closet, especially rappers and it's more than likely a matter of time before one of your favourites does or gets caught having done something. I feel like with social media these days and exposing and digging up people's dirty laundry there's this idea that if you show any form of liking towards someone you support every single thing they think or do, so when something comes out about them you're suddenly associated with supporting that act.

Essentially I feel like people more stop listening (or watching/reading depending on the art form) to certain artists because they're scared of what other people might think more than anything else. But yeah, I've always been someone that can separate the person from their art. Like the example with the sports hall of fame thing I gave, I get annoyed when people question if someone should be inducted because of off-field indiscretions. It's not a person hall of fame. I do understand the other side though, I just think a lot of people almost feel pressured to boycott certain artists because they almost feel like if you listen to someone you're saying you agree with everything they've ever done.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  17. SHUDEYE

Nov 26, 2019
    People see it that way because it's such a youth-orientated and "young" genre but I think this was more relevant probably 20 years ago though, Rap has been a mainstay of the mainstream for a long time now especially with some of the biggest breakthrough artist like Eminem nearly 50. People that listened to him would be middle-aged now (if you want to call him the "start" of mainstream Rap just for argument's sake) so yeah, it's not that embarrassing anymore. If anything's embarrassing I think it's older people listening to like Avicci or something ha

Mar 29, 2024
  18. SHUDEYE

Nov 26, 2019
    Sorry I'm pumping you with quotes rn ha you're just saying a lot of s--- I wanna respond to. I always heard Murder on My Mind was used as evidence but I don't get why, also was it not recorded beforehand? I've listened to the song a lot lately and I don't think it sounds related to what he allegedly did at all.

EDIT: It's also bs regardless (being used in court) it shouldn't be admissible. Most of rap is fictitious or vastly exaggerated for one and two by that logic you may as well call in Eminem for some unsolved rapes based off Relapse lyrics. It's just stupid. I agree with you 100% unless the music video or something proves they were somewhere it's irrelevant, also why would someone be dumb enough to fully snitch on themselves on a song, let alone a hit one?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Mar 29, 2024
  19. SHUDEYE

Nov 26, 2019
    Nope. People kinda did that with Kevin Spacey's show though. The one where he's the president or whatever, but he was the main character I think so bit different to one of 20.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  20. dkdnfbdjdkdddjdjfvcgfl

Nov 27, 2019
    If someone whos a piece of s--- made a good song, then by god they made a good song. Usually the song has nothing to do with what they did anyway, so you can make your own interpretation of the song.

But i do understand when its an artist whose controversies are a part of their music, when Kanye wouldn't shut up about Trump in his songs, when --- would rap about beating b------s. A little more understandable to not wanna listen to the artist in that case.

Ordinary Joel, DKC and Zeugma like this.
    Ordinary Joel, DKC and Zeugma like this.
    Mar 29, 2024