#Simmons2Embiid - Philadelphia 76ers

Started by Jakey, Nov 22, 2015, in Sports Add to Reading List

Will they ever be a contender for a Championship

1. lol.......

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  2. Hinkie magic will take them all the way!

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Ben Simmons....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Jakey

Jakey You Reckon

Nov 22, 2015
    Hello @NBAsxn I made this thread to have a discussion about the Philadelphia Sixers. How you feel about their 'process' in tanking? Are they being ethical to NBA and their fans? Are they ever going to be a successful team with this approach?

[​IMG]

Here in Australia, we do have a sport which has the same draft system, however tanking is considered breaking the rules, teams have been fined from it before. I'm not sure how people feel about tanking in America, but it seems to be within the rules. I follow the Sixers and I'm not sure how I feel about this, I don't actually like watching them and you really have to be patient.

I do feel like they try though, last season they were actually a good defensive team compared to the rest of the league but that seems to have dropped off this season. This season has been terrible all round, although I do feel like they would be a lot better if they knew how to hold on in the 4th quarter.

They don't even need to tank, at the moment their list just cant compete with the rest of the league, their list pretty much consists of:
    • High draft picks in their first or second year
    • Young 1st round picks who've had injury interrupted careers.
    • Young 2nd round/Undrafted players
    • Carl Landry (injured)
    If you look at some of their future assets going into next year they will have:
    • Joel Embiid
    • Dario Saric
    • Potentially 4 1st round picks (76ers, Lakers (top 3 protected), Heat and Thunder).
    So......

Do you guy actually think they will be a solid Eastern Conference team in the future? imo, with what we had to go through, the Sixers need to achieve a lot more than being just a solid team.

0 0
    Apr 25, 2024
  2. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Nov 22, 2015
    5+ years away from being respectable imo.

You guys have had really s-----y luck so far with your high end picks but you guys have also done some questionable trades for lots of 2nd rounders.

Things can only go up once Saric comes over from Europe. You'll land a top 3 pick again no doubt.

With Embiid you'll have to make an executive decision with him. If he doesn't recover do you cut your losses and try him on the trade market?

I'm rooting for you guys to land Ben Simmons coz he could easily be the franchise player you've been seeking since Allen Iverson.

Jakey likes this.
    Jakey likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  3. Jakey

Jakey You Reckon

Nov 22, 2015
    Yeah I think we need A LOT more than Simmons and the young talent we have to be respectable in the future. imo we need an experienced leader out on the court to help us develop. Carl Landry is not that guy. :'(

I can only hope they will come good! But at the moment my expectations aren't that high.

0 0
    Apr 25, 2024
  4. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Nov 22, 2015
    You'll no doubt have to part with one of your bigs to build up your backcourt as well.

Embiid could potentially depart. Him or Noel.

0 0
    Apr 25, 2024
  5. Jakey

Jakey You Reckon

Nov 22, 2015
    I like Noel, he will be a great defender.

Embiid will need to get quite a few good games in the NBA when he returns to stock up some value.

Poohdini and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Poohdini and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  6. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Nov 23, 2015
    They're not the 1st to use the strategy, but they're probably the most obvious. They've been extremely unlucky in the lottery which only delays the "process". They're pretty embarrassing to watch on a nightly basis, even though I think Jahlil is great. They have no vets, and trot out late picks & undrafted FA's every night. There's 0 effort from the front office to make them a contender which sucks because Philly is a great basketball town.

Ordinary Joel and Jakey like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Jakey like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  7. redsoxx

redsoxx "What's my favorite ring? The next one."-TB12

Nov 25, 2015
    I hope the NBA rigs the lottery and they don't get Simmons. Not for the Philly fans(who I feel bad for) but because Hinkie is a joke. The team they put out there on a nightly basis is pathetic. They are the reason that the lottery system will probably be changed.

I say this as a Celtics fan whose team owns the Nets pick. The Nets are a team who truly stink, they are veteran team who isnt blatantly tanking because they have no reason too.

Celtics have been getting hosed in the lottery for years(they haven't moved up a spot in 20 years). We deserve the lottery balls to roll our way one time.

0 0
    Apr 25, 2024
  8. Mike02

Nov 25, 2015
    I'm a Sixers fan unfortunately. Iverson was at his peak when I was in high school, I was an absolute die hard fan during that era. Used to go to a game at least once a year. Then followed them pretty closely again during the Iguodala era in the late-2000s. Was excited as f--- when Iverson came back in 09. Me and my friends booked a VIP box for my birthday but then he went on his "family leave" thing and didn't even play. Never played again. Seems like it was all downhill from there. We got Andrew Bynum which was supposed to get us over the hump and make us contenders. That couldn't have gone any worse. He never played a game for us. We've been rebuilding ever since. What has it been, five years now? They're so bad I really don't even watch basketball anymore except for watching other teams during the playoffs. You can only "rebuild" for so long before the fans lose interest.

0 0
    Apr 25, 2024
  9. The Pinnacle

Nov 25, 2015
    Sixers have the potential to get 2 top 5 picks next year (though unlikely with how shifty the lakers are). If by some chance that happens, I think they'll finally move out of "rebuild" mode and try to win some games. I kind of buy the whole 'get a disgruntled star' theory. At some point in the near future, they'll have so many top 10 draft picks that they may actually become an attractive destination. Especially for guys who want to be a number one option on a team. There's always a star on a s-----y team who gets traded to initiate a rebuild, Philly might be ready to pounce the next time that happens.

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  10. SWERVO

SWERVO big cuntry's alias

Nov 25, 2015
    Ya if all goes well in draft this year this could be the last season that we have to tank, hope so at least.

Apr 25, 2024
  11. J.T.

Nov 26, 2015
    I feel bad for Okafor the dude is mad talented and is stuck on that terrible team. But the Thunder were really bad in Durant's first few years and now look at them. I don't like the tanking idea, I just think they haven't gotten there superstar yet. I hope Ben Simmons doesn't go there though, he would not fit in with that team at all.

0 0
    Apr 25, 2024
  12. SWERVO

Nov 26, 2015
    We need a g.d. point guard, we got stuck with Okafor, they definitely wanted Russell

The Product and Ordinary Joel like this.
    The Product and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  13. Jakey

Jakey You Reckon

Dec 1, 2015
    At. Long. Last.....

Apr 25, 2024
  14. Jakey

Jakey You Reckon

Apr 8, 2016
    Goodbye Hinkie...

Created a little proposed depth chart for next season:

Noel / Embiid / Holmes
    Okafor / Grant / Saric
    1st Round / Covington / OKC/Mia Pick
    Thompson / Stauskas / OKC/Mia Pick
    Smith / McConnell / Canaan

Wanna try Okafor at PF, he defends there when Noel is on the court and he has been compared to Tim Duncan in his early years. IMO he has a high ceiling, if he can work on his body and remove his baby fat and become more athletic he has the potential to fit that position.

Still have a hole with our shooting... If we draft Ingram it might help, but our shooting guard position is looking weak. Might have to find a trade or free agent. Stauskas isn't good, I actually dislike his shooting technique but keep him with a small role because some nights he's on fire.

Apr 25, 2024
  15. SWERVO

Apr 15, 2016
    f--- Colangelo

The Product likes this.
    The Product likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  16. redsoxx

redsoxx "What's my favorite ring? The next one."-TB12

Apr 15, 2016
    Someone should make a lottery/draft thread. Lakers, Celtics(via Nets) and Philly, gonna be a gutter war. Im good with Simmons, Ingram or Hield for the C's, 75% chance we trade the pick in a package for an all star though.

Jakey likes this.
    Jakey likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  17. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Apr 15, 2016
    Jerry is great but Bryan burned out hard in Toronto, I'm shocked he's getting another chance at making personnel decisions.
    Difference is young TD was a great defender day 1. Hinkie left you guys some assets but that roster is a mess.

Jakey likes this.
    Jakey likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  18. The Product

Apr 15, 2016
    I want Dunn and Ingram. But I'd take Simmons too. One of our bigs will be gone if we take Simmons.
    Hinkies moves have put the Sixers in a great position no matter how it looks right now. Now the colangelos will take all the credit

SWERVO likes this.
    SWERVO likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  19. Jakey

Jakey You Reckon

Apr 15, 2016
    Yeah I was really disappointed hearing that he resigned. Just didn't make sense why he didn't play out the off season with all the assets he earned.

0 0
    Apr 25, 2024
  20. The Product

Apr 15, 2016
    It pisses me off cause they pretty much pushed him out. They told him to take a seat in the corner and that's not the type of person he is/was. It is a little too early to tell what his legacy will be in philly cause he didn't get to play his cards but he put philly in one of the best positions going forward with the amount of assets he brought together.

The only reason I'm sort of okay with him leaving is because no one liked him player wise. We would have had a lot of trouble bringing any free agents with him running the show. Now that he is gone the door is open to anyone and that excites me.

Jakey likes this.
    Jakey likes this.
    Apr 25, 2024