Stanfield's 2018 Album Ratings

Started by Sav Stanfield, May 12, 2018, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Sav Stanfield

May 13, 2018
    Actually forgot about that, still need to give it a full listen

I saw it being hyped up on twitter first. It really is AOTY potential though.

gotta add this to the list also

was it? I dont remember being very impressed. I'll try give it another listen. might be a harsh rating but the second one really was a mess imo.

RetiredAccount likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  2. Sav Stanfield

May 13, 2018
    check out his Playboi Carti mixtape from last year

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  3. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

May 13, 2018
    The Saba album might be up your alley Sav, echoing what @SKUX said and check it out. The HRJ & Brodinski tape got me hooked, hope their sound becomes more prevalent.

Props on doing this list--using this as a reference to some of the stuff I missed out on (thank God Grad Skool is finally over)

Mar 29, 2024
  4. LLLMMMMFFFFFAAAAAAOOOOOO

LLLMMMMFFFFFAAAAAAOOOOOO humans are just recycled star dust

May 13, 2018
    That grandpa asked to be put onto PLAYBOI CARTI in 2018 LMFAOOOOOOOO you're so irrelevant inregards to any music being released today. Carti was the first "SoundCloud" artist with a full head of steam in 2015 you late old f---

Dudley and aquaberryares like this.
    Dudley and aquaberryares like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  5. joeyp363

May 13, 2018
    I wanna hear your review of Apathy's "the widow son"

Sav Stanfield likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  6. Sav Stanfield

May 13, 2018
    yeah ive been meaning to check this out also. Havent listened to Ap since 2011 but apparently this was great. will add it to the list.

Buddha likes this.
    Buddha likes this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  7. joeyp363

May 13, 2018
    You didn't like a single song off Planet? Album is a classic.

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  8. Winter

Winter Super Comfy

May 13, 2018
    I agree with you the majority of the time but every now and then you come with an opinion like this and idk what to think

Mar 29, 2024
  9. Big Dangerous

Big Dangerous World Heavyweight Champion

May 13, 2018
    How about sometimes people have different opinions on things and that's okay

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  10. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

May 14, 2018
    Gonna start w this soon @Sav Stanfield dunno where tho lol

Mar 29, 2024
  11. Sav Stanfield

May 15, 2018
    OP updated with new reviews and breakdown of rating system

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    Ordinary Joel, Buddha and Lil Squeed like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Buddha and Lil Squeed like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  12. Lil Squeed

Lil Squeed French Montana Stan

May 15, 2018
    whew good look

Mar 29, 2024
  13. Mraczewsky

Mraczewsky r.i.p. mac

May 15, 2018
    only liked valee and cardi b this year tbh
    carti cool as well

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  14. Young Thugger Thugger

Young Thugger Thugger https://www.last.fm/user/AmaruStar

May 15, 2018
    Umm, excuse me? You must be joking right now.
    I mean, there have been lots of good or even great albums in 2018 so far...
    I'm really hoping that you are actually, I'm not going to lie...

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  15. Mraczewsky

Mraczewsky r.i.p. mac

May 15, 2018
    f--- off

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  16. Young Thugger Thugger

Young Thugger Thugger https://www.last.fm/user/AmaruStar

May 15, 2018
    Huh? :yewhat:

0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  17. Sav Stanfield

May 22, 2018
    Latest reviews. OP updated.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2018
    0 0
    Mar 29, 2024
  18. Sav Stanfield

Sep 19, 2018
    bunch of new 2018 ratings if anyone's interested

Ye - Kanye West (7/10)
    Kanye needs space to paint his sprawling masterpieces. Clocking in at just 23 minutes, Ye feels more like a rough sketch than an expansive work of art. As a result, this project seems dwarfed when standing in the shadows of the rest of his catalog. It’s a pretty good listen - i don’t think Kanye’s ever really made bad music - but not nearly as fulfilling as I hoped it would be.
    Best song: Yikes

Ottopsy - Chief Keef (7/10)
    Even though his output since his 2017 return has been a bit spotty, Ottopsy is a nice little collection of songs. There’s all-out bangers, autotune-drenched ballad, and ice-cold drill s---. Its brief, focused, varied and better than a lot of his recent full-length mixtapes. Check it out.
    Best song: g--- g---

Kids See Ghosts - Kids See Ghosts (8/10)
    A VERY welcomed return to form for Kid Cudi on possibly my most highly anticipated collaborations of all time. And it doesn’t disappoint. I mean they even got a f---in Mos Def feature on here. A lot of MOTM-sounding humming and harmonising, alongside Ye sounding way more revitalised than he did on Ye. Even better, this might be the best produced album of the entire Surgical Summer series. Only real complaint I have is that its too short.
    Best song: Feel the Love ft. Pusha T

NASIR - Nas (6/10)
    I’m a Nas stan at heart, but this was a letdown. Nas’ beat selection has always been a point for critics, but this time its Nas himself thats drags down the music. He sounds bored, aimless, rusty, off-beat - far removed from the heyday of his 90’s/00’s output, or even from Life Is Good. Sure, there’s a few standouts. And the production alone warrants a few listens. Just hoping the next outing (NAS ALBUM DONE) is better (and more focused) than this.
    Best song: Cops Shot The Kid

Redemption - Jay Rock (6/10)
    Jay Rock is a master of the guest appearance. But I don’t think he’s ever put out a solo album that reflects his capabilities. Redemption is no exception. I can’t quite put my finger on whats lacking; maybe he’s just not capable of carrying an entire project front to back? He’s always ways been a good writer (this may be his best written album yet) and he certainly has charisma. But at the end of the day it all just seems to fall flat. Again.
    Best song: ES Tales

Everything Is Love - Beyonce & Jay-Z (5/10)
    Its basically MCHG, Pt 2, just with a whole lot of Beyonce. Hey, at least Ape s--- slaps.
    Best song: Ape s---.

Freddie - Freddie Gibbs (8/10)
    A brief, yet immaculate trudge through the cut-throat, ice-cold world of Gangsta Gibbs. More Shadow of a Doubt than YOL2 (but nothing at all like Pinata), this is Freddie doing what he does best. Bring on Bandana.
    Best song: Automatic

God Level - 03 Greedo (6/10)
    I know people are gonna disagree with me on this but God Level isn’t that great. I loved Wolf of Grape Street and while God Level definitely has some incredible standout moments, a full 90+ minutes is just too much for me. I find myself skipping over nearly half the songs on here. Trim the fat and Greedo might have had something really worthwhile on his hands.
    Best song: Floating

Scorpion - Drake (6/10)
    Definitely not as awful as some people make it out to be. But a letdown all the same. I actually think Scorpion’s first disc is great, pretty much all the way through. And if you had to take the best songs off Disc 2 and tag them on, you’d have one of the best albums of Drizzy’s discography. But a lot of the s--- on Disc 2 just bores the s--- out of me.
    Best song: Nice for What

Beast Mode 2 - Future (8/10)
    Is it better than he first Beast Mode? Its hard to say. Despite their similar wintery soundscapes, they’re notably different projects. This one feels a little less insular, a little grander. But naming it anything other than Beast Mode 2 would just be wrong. Ostentatious, dripping with misogyny and beautiful Zay keys, this sounds like it was made during Future’s unstoppable 2014-15 run. It’s a keeper.
    Best song: Some More

Rolling Papers 2 - Wiz Khalifa (1/10)
    Like that song Wiz made about Paul Walker, this is the kind of music that makes me doubt if hip hop is actually for me. I can’t listen to this s---.
    Best song: the song with the Jimmy Wopo verse

HoodWolf 2 - Hoodrich Pablo Juan & Danny Wulf (7/10)
    Hoodrich Pablo Juan’s raspy, smooth-as-f--- flow slips and slides between Danny Wolf’s crystal-clear piano loops and stuttering drums. HoodWolf 2 serves as a strong followup, both to its’ predecessor (HoodWolf) and Pablo’s work with Brodinski (The Matrix). The project starts off incredibly strong but does tend to lag a in its second half. Still, an all-round solid project and another great addition to his catalog.
    Best song: Hoop Dreams

TA13OO - Denzel Curry (8/10)
    I was in Florida about 10 years ago, when locals Plies and Flo Rida topped the charts and Rick Ross wasn’t much more than a punchline yet. Things done changed. Now a hotbed of hip hop activity, Florida has bred some of the most interesting and best acts of the decade, with Denzel Curry right near the top. From a relatively unknown Raider Klan disciple to underground people’s champ, Denzel has come a long way. TA13OO is a masterful collection of music, perfectly arranged to start with unexpected jazzy vividness and building up to pitch-black dark twisted ending. I’m hoping this is only the beginning from Zel. If so, there’s a lot of good things in his future.
    Best song: Black Metal Terrorist

Swevo - G Herbo (6/10)
    Herbo’s an exceptionally talented emcee but his flow has always been a little iffy to me. He approaches mic with the deftness of a power drill. It seems particularly pronounced on Swervo; I’m not sure whether thats because I’m more used to hearing ATL rappers over Southside’s production or if Herbo’s just getting worse but its difficult to sit through at times. Still, there are plenty of moments on here where Herbo’s gruff delivery and vivid street tales come together with Southside’s epic stuttering trap instrumentals just right (see Pac N Dre). But even with a handful of well-placed guest appearances and at a tight 46 minute runtime, Swervo comes off feeling disjointed.
    Best song: Catch Up ft. Chief Keef

Stay Dangerous - YG (6/10)
    My Krazy Life and Still Brazy would be tough acts for anyone to follow, even for an artist as gifted as YG. Not that there’s anything bad about Stay Dangerous, it just doesn’t really reach the same heights as his previous efforts. There are a handful of duds on here. And they do detract from the albums replay value. But there’s also a lot of good material (especially in the second half) that harkens back to his previous 2 classics.
    Best song: Deeper Than Rap

Astroworld - Travi$ Scott (8/10)
    Unlike BITTSM, Astroworld feels like the true successor to Rodeo; Rodeo by daytime, you could say. It’s brighter, bigger and flashier and Travis excels in his role - as he himself says best - as “the glue” that holds it all together. The guests are handpicked to perfection - from 21 Savage to Frank Ocean, from Nav to Stevie Wonder - everyone plays their part, and Travis’ heavily reverbed ad-libs and wailing melodies tie it all together in a big chaotic bow that keeps you absorbed in the haunted desert wonderland from psychedelic start to (very obviously Kanye-influenced) melancholic finish.
    Best song: Can’t Say ft. Don Toliver

Slime Language - Young Thug & YSL (5/10)
    I love Thugger but this is clearly just autopilot/collection of leftovers with some tacked-on guest features. Theres always gonna be standouts when SEX is involved and this compilation is no exception. But when even Thugger himself sounds bored over this collection of uninspired instrumentals, its hard to get excited for the equally-bored sounding guests and the project as a whole falls flat.
    Best song: Gain Clout

Kamikaze - Eminem (6/10)
    Em returns back to his battle rap roots, which is a very welcome change of pace (as is the updated production), but the incomprehensibly off-beat flows and out of touch jabs at the critics and ‘mumble rap’ drags this down a few notches. Like all post-hiatus Em albums, there are little flashes of that old genius peaking through. But like always, its not quite enough to convince me that Shady is truly back. At this stage, it doesn’t look he ever will be.
    Best song: The Ringer

Ordinary Joel and Zeugma like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Zeugma like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  19. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Nov 24, 2018
    Pls continue

Mar 29, 2024