Eminem Stat Quo Remembers The Moment He Told Dr. Dre "Compton" Was Wack & Pissing Off Eminem

Started by XshadybusinessX, Feb 6, 2017, in Eminem Add to Reading List

1. Pinocchio

Feb 6, 2017
    :sweatt: thxxx for posting... gave me some real nostalgia... haven't listened to it maybe on 5 years.... really good track

FreeAgent and Mikey like this.
    FreeAgent and Mikey like this.
    May 8, 2024
  2. rapmusik

Feb 6, 2017
    nope that was obie

Michael Myers likes this.
    Michael Myers likes this.
    May 8, 2024
  3. FreeAgent

FreeAgent Resurrected like Jesus

Feb 6, 2017
    Stat a real one for straight up telling him no

XshadybusinessX likes this.
    XshadybusinessX likes this.
    May 8, 2024
  4. FreeAgent

FreeAgent Resurrected like Jesus

Feb 6, 2017
    I feel like Get Low would of done wonders for his career if released as a single.

I can remember reading Dre wanted it as a single but Em didn't. That beat :banderas:

May 8, 2024
  5. AK47Slim

Feb 6, 2017
    LOS ANGELES, CA – As one of the many artists whose album never saw the light of day under legendary producer Dr. Dre, former Shady/Aftermath MC Stat Quo utilized his experiences as well as his mistakes to help parlay his once-burgeoning rap career into a more managerial role. Now he helps other artists make the creative choices that will help them sustain a longer, more prosperous career.

Stat, whose real name is Stanley Benton, stopped by #DXLive last Thursday to share some stories about the old days working with Dre and Eminem, including most recently, and most recently what he thought of Dr. Dre’s Compton album.

“s--- was wack. I love Dre to death but it was wack,” Stat told Trent Clark, Justin Hunte, Jake Rohn and Marcel Williams. “This how this s--- work is how music goes, this is how you know your s--- [is] good. 2-3 months after it come out.” He continued, “It’s not that it wasn’t put together quality wise, it’s not that it wasn’t quality beats and s--- like that, it just didn’t capture the attention of the world. The only reason it got where it was was because the movie was so phenomenal. And that’s no diss. People think if you don’t like something you’re dissing it. I love Dre. He’s my everything. I helped him [with the project] but that don’t mean it’s the s--- just cause I helped, you know what I’m saying, WE f----- up!”

With so much unreleased material in his vaults, Stat offered an explanation as to why and how Compton was able to be released when so much classic material remained unearthed.

“if I cook 90 different dishes and I’m tasting each one as I make ‘em and I just set ‘em on the table so they’re sitting in front of me, when I eat I’m gonna leave some s--- out cause I have so much food and I’ma get full,” Stat explained, also citing the headphone mogul’s work habits as a reason for his continual successes. “[Dre] has a relentless work ethic. He works all the time so he accumulates music all the time. He never leaves the studio without anything. When I first started working with him he told me that what Tupac would do, Tupac would come in there, lay a verse and then the hook, then he’d go to the next thing. He’d do three or four and then he’ll listen back, and then he’d perfect the one and that’s the one that he would leave with. That’s why Tupac had so much music cause every time he went to the lab he did four songs every f---ing time, so Dre works just like that. This dude works as if he has nothing, as if he’s broke,” Stat revealed.

As for why his own album Statlanta never came out on Shady/Aftermath Stat places the blame squarely on himself.

“People try to blame Dre, it’s not always Dre’s fault. I was on the shelf. That was my fault cause I didn’t pick a side,” admitted Stat. “I came in there a certain kind of way then I started trying to make music to appease them instead of trying to make music to appease the people that got me in that door. I came from the underground Atlanta making a certain kind of rap. People loved me for that and then I got around Dre I started trying to make s--- that sound like 50 and what they was doing. I should’ve just stayed in my lane and kept doing what I was doing and the people would have forced it out. With Kendrick, the people forced it out. They could not hold it. Game, the people forced his album out. They could not hold it. All these people I talked about picked an identity: Game’s a Blood, 50’s a gangster, Kendrick’s an intellectual. You know who the f--- they rapping to when they rap. Stat Quo was all over the place. That’s not Dre’s fault that’s my fault.”

But pissing off the biggest rapper (at the time) also will get you in the doghouse fast and Stat admits to doing just that with Marshall Mathers.

“My album would have came out but I f----- up,” he said, revisiting the story. “There was a song called ‘Dance On It’. Em wrote the chorus and Em wanted me to say the chorus. I thought it was not good. If I would have said, ‘Yeah, that’s it! That’s the one we going with!’ I would’ve got my album out. But I tried to be on some ‘Nah, I don’t like that; that ain’t a hit.’ I was really arguing with the top-selling rapper of all-time on what a f---in’ hit was. What a dummy idiot I was!”

He continued, “My exact quote was: ‘I’ll put it out if you stay on the hook’ and then I said, ‘Give me a million dollars and I’ll put it out.’ And when I said that, me and Eminem went like this [divides hands]. It was a wrap! He was mad as s---! And Dre was like, ‘Yo, you made him mad.’ And then like the next day, I like apologized with tears in my eyes. Because I’m watching my f---in’ career go down the drain.”

Check out the full interview above for more stories including why he got dropped from Shady Records, some of the unreleased music he’s heard and some of his favorite stories from his time hanging around Dr. Dre.

http://hiphopdx.com/news/id.42269/t...ld-dr-dre-compton-was-wack-pissing-off-eminem

RIP Stat Quo Career

Weedsmoke likes this.
    Weedsmoke likes this.
    May 8, 2024
  6. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Feb 6, 2017
    Already made

Loyalty likes this.
    Loyalty likes this.
    May 8, 2024
  7. XshadybusinessX

Feb 6, 2017
    thats great!

0 0
    May 8, 2024
  8. Loyalty

Loyalty we go hard on earth

Feb 6, 2017

0 0
    May 8, 2024
  9. PistolPistol

PistolPistol Inappropriate? So be it. I don't see it..

Feb 6, 2017
    WE GONNA DROP STAT LANTA!!
    PFFFFFFFTTTTT NOT

0 0
    May 8, 2024
  10. Mudkip

Mudkip RIP 3PAC

Feb 6, 2017
    19:17 "there was a song called dance on it"

all i can think about is if the song was called "Dance" or "Dance On It", that sentence is f----- :emoji_triumph::emoji_triumph::emoji_triumph:

BART, soul intent, Evad and 5 others like this.
    BART, soul intent, Evad and 5 others like this.
    May 8, 2024
  11. Mike Tyson

Mike Tyson big cuntry's alias

Feb 6, 2017
    Exactly

“s--- was wack. I love Dre to death but it was wack,” Stat told Trent Clark, Justin Hunte, Jake Rohn and Marcel Williams. “This how this s--- work is how music goes, this is how you know your s--- [is] good. 2-3 months after it come out.” He continued, “It’s not that it wasn’t put together quality wise, it’s not that it wasn’t quality beats and s--- like that, it just didn’t capture the attention of the world. The only reason it got where it was was because the movie was so phenomenal. And that’s no diss. People think if you don’t like something you’re dissing it. I love Dre. He’s my everything. I helped him [with the project] but that don’t mean it’s the s--- just cause I helped, you know what I’m saying, WE f----- up!”

He isn't lying, not one lie was told. It was a good project, but like a 6/10 at best because no one listened to it after the first 3-4 days. Where as songs from 2001 are still being played daily today.

OWD, Etari, Mothrfckr and 7 others like this.
    OWD, Etari, Mothrfckr and 7 others like this.
    May 8, 2024
  12. Mike Tyson

Feb 6, 2017
    50 cent was perfect bro

May 8, 2024
  13. Lucy

Lucy #1

Feb 6, 2017
    yeah i feel this way, it was kinda good closure to his career, but medicine man is trash and like i don't really revisit the album, but 2001 songs i do go and revisit a fair bit. i think the main problem was it sounds/plays more like a movie soundtrack rather than 'dre's final album' apart from maybe 1 or 2 songs. he's a fucken benchot though and should just release music, he's such an bobo putang i dont understand someone give him xanax

Kush Gawd and Mike Tyson like this.
    Kush Gawd and Mike Tyson like this.
    May 8, 2024
  14. Charlie Work

Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

Feb 6, 2017
    Real one

M Solo and Mike Tyson like this.
    M Solo and Mike Tyson like this.
    May 8, 2024
  15. Mike Tyson

Feb 6, 2017
    eminem and dre are out of touch, like dat is better than anything eminem has made since encore

Evad, what, Translucent and 1 other person like this.
    May 8, 2024
  16. Charlie Work

Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

Feb 6, 2017
    Remember when Big Sean called Eminem's verse on No Favors "super thoughtful" :clap:

May 8, 2024
  17. PistolPistol

PistolPistol Inappropriate? So be it. I don't see it..

Feb 6, 2017
    Compton basically s----d

0 0
    May 8, 2024
  18. Rootbeer

Feb 6, 2017
    This song, GRITS, Here We Go, By My Side.

How is it that these songs are all so good but everything Stat did without the guidance of Dre and Em is so bad?

In 2005, Shady/Aftermath could have turned anyone's music good. I know they were looking to sign a Southern artist but why they chose law school dropout Stat Quo I will never understand. He should have done absolutely everything they told him because he was the luckiest ATLien but he pissed away his opportunity

0 0
    May 8, 2024
  19. Kush Gawd

Feb 6, 2017

:blunt:

0 0
    May 8, 2024
  20. RG9

RG9

Feb 6, 2017
    Need the Die Hard track from Detox

GOAT hook