Film Michael Myers' horror movies discussion thread

Started by Michael Myers, Apr 23, 2017, in Entertainment Add to Reading List

1. Big Dangerous

Big Dangerous World Heavyweight Champion

Oct 21, 2018
    Two really good parts of the movie
    In my opinion Jamie Lee Curtis did an excellent job playing a character who a lot of people weren't keen on after the trailers and stuff

And the Michael (look, mannerisms, movement etc) is one of the best in the franchise.

DetroitDGAF, Twan and K18 El Duderino like this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  2. M Solo

M Solo Fresh Outta London

Oct 21, 2018

After thinking about it some more and reading what @DetroitSkills said I take what I said back. They did a great job with Halloween(the holiday) but the editing was jarring and they never really let it set in. And I guess the bigger problem is that Michael Myers didn't feel like Michael Myers. If felt like Jason Voohrees. That really took me out as well.

One horrendous plot twist aside I'm pretty sure you're going to love this film.

Apr 16, 2024
  3. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Oct 21, 2018
    Can you elaborate what you mean w michael being like jason?

Apr 16, 2024
  4. Big Dangerous

Oct 21, 2018
    Wait until you watch the movie dummy

Michael Myers likes this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  5. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Oct 21, 2018
    f--- you I am very very impatient and waiting till nov 1st is killing me (well not really ofc I cant die but u get the picture :) )

Apr 16, 2024
  6. Big Dangerous

Oct 21, 2018
    You should've watched the movie completely impartial and without knowing anything about it

Dum dum

Apr 16, 2024
  7. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Oct 21, 2018
    Ur right but I can never do that. Not w shows I watch or movies lol. And tbh w this movie most of the things said were already kinda obvious

Apr 16, 2024
  8. Kon

Kon

Oct 21, 2018
    I liked it but I dunno I'm not really the expert on this franchise like some of you seem to be. I was just glad to see Michael back on the big screen in what I felt was a better effort than most of the other halloween movies.

Thought it was fun and well done for the most part.

Apr 16, 2024
  9. K18 El Duderino

K18 El Duderino Welcome to the Dopamine Dome

Oct 21, 2018
    saw it last night and it was very entertaining, Ive only seen the 1st one so im not that much caught up with the franchise

Michael Myers and Big Dangerous like this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  10. K18 El Duderino

K18 El Duderino Welcome to the Dopamine Dome

Oct 21, 2018
    I didn't understand why ole buddy did what he did towards the end the end tho. Its like they wanted shock value but it wasnt jarring at all....just kinda like WTF and why

M Solo and DetroitDGAF like this.
    M Solo and DetroitDGAF like this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  11. Twan

Oct 21, 2018
    Yeah, I pretty much agree. My biggest problem was that David Gordon Green doesn't prove to be all that adept at horror. There really aren't any standout sequences or set pieces here (The motion sensors part is cute and the ending is solid, but both hardly memorable), and some stretches are just kind of awkwardly staged.

I actually liked the idea of the podcasters and thought they had more potential. They sought to try to understand Michael, and the film could've done more to highlight the futility of explaining the unexplainable, particularly as a rejoinder to Rob Zombie's attempt at an origin story. I at least appreciated that the film mostly stuck to the original Shape conception of the character.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    Apr 16, 2024
  12. lil uzi vert stan

Oct 21, 2018
    Right agree 100%. Felt like a fan was checking boxes to “get it right”— which is admirable but, like TFA, there’s rly nothing *there*

Twan likes this.
    Twan likes this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  13. Big Dangerous

Oct 21, 2018
    I agree. Exactly what I was thinking as I left the theater-- no iconic memorable scenes at all.

Apr 16, 2024
  14. Big Dangerous

Oct 21, 2018
    Anyone else think
    The podcasters were excellent and interesting? Should've been at least the secondary protagonists of the movie imo

very disappointed with how they were dealt with

eminemson, K18 El Duderino and Twan like this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  15. Zebedee

Zebedee Banned

Oct 21, 2018
    This is something I didn’t go expecting to see as I’m pretty sure in an early interview with the writers they said something along the lines of “after the sequels we’re trying to stop explaining everything and going back to the simple premise of “crazed madman who goes on a killing spree” which I guess is the only real story that works with Michael Myers tbh.

Anything else I think just nullifies any aspect of mystique surrounding him. The more you try to explain it the less quality comes out in the actual story. I remember when I was kid I was so obsesssed with what he would look like under his mask. Now I’m older I understand the main aspect of him being so scary is the not knowing.

I guess it’s similar to when Kane finally took his mask off on wwe. We all wanted it but when it actually happened it’s not long til the shock wore off and it gets boring fast.

Apr 16, 2024
  16. Pyrex

Pyrex I turn the stage into a barren wasteland

Oct 21, 2018
    The thing with this movie is that it cancels out any movie after Halloween 1. Even Halloween 2 which took place the very same night as Halloween 1 was even took out because that was when they introduced the plot that Michael and Laurie were siblings.

So the original movie is all you really need to see. The plot of them being siblings is even gone now as well.

H20 is actually a pretty good movie in the franchise.

K18 El Duderino likes this.
    K18 El Duderino likes this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  17. DetroitDGAF

DetroitDGAF Locked in Mariah’s Wine Cellar

Oct 22, 2018
    80+ million

:emhaah:

I forget what dumbass told me i was off guessing 75+ it mightve even been on the michael myers forums:lmaooo:

eminemson likes this.
    eminemson likes this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  18. ComfortablyNumb

Oct 22, 2018
    Sooo where do I begin. I didn’t exactly have extremely high expectations because I know as well as you guys nothing will ever be as good as the original. However DGG can’t watch this and possibly think he couldn’t have done better. Why aren’t there scenes of Michael stalking much? Why is he killing his victims in unoriginal ways and so quickly? Just quick stabs here and there. No sound cues like the original. Look at how he kills Bob and Annie in the original. Long, drawn out, disturbing. Clearly these guys didn’t watch the original movie. They opted for a higher body count rather than trying to make the most of him only killing a couple people on screen. Also wtf was that twist with the doctor? They definitely lost me a bit with that. Surprised John Carpenter signed off on this. It definitely didn’t impress me much. God dammit. I wanted so badly for it to be amazing too. But it’s just... okay. The intro callback was amazing at least. And Jamie was awesome as usual. I hope to god this grows on me and I can appreciate it the more I see it. But how does it stack up with the others? Eh, it’s still one of the better ones.

Apr 16, 2024
  19. Big Dangerous

Oct 22, 2018
    I agree with a lot of this , especially

The whole lack of stalking and drawn out scenes, which goes into my primarily complaint with the film the total lack of suspense. The Annie scene in the original is iconic...and there is nothing like that whatsoever here. Why? Why not make the killing of the babysitter scene suspenseful and creepy instead of a few minutes of comedy and Michael just randomly appearing in the kids closet. How can the director not realize this. Just a poor poor decision

Edit:

I was thinking about this a lot, and I've concluded that the lack of suspense during the middle of the film has to be due to having to speed it up to have time for the big confrontation scene at the end.

DetroitDGAF, ComfortablyNumb and Twan like this.
    Apr 16, 2024
  20. ComfortablyNumb

Oct 23, 2018
    This exactly!
    also it killed the suspense of that scene with the babysitter entirely because we saw it in the trailer 50 times on TV before seeing it on the big screen. Totally ruined that surprise. But yes, there is no death scenes as iconic as the three on screen kills in the original. He kills more than twice as many people in this one but there’s nothing original about any of the kills. And of course they had to use tons of gore to shock the audience. It also bothered me none of the Strode family died. Was fully expecting Laurie to sacrifice herself to save her granddaughter. But it never happened. The movie just kind of ends abruptly. So yeah it definitely bothers me the creators talked so much s--- on the sequels but did no more justice to the original that the others did. Even Halloween 2 and H20 were more memorable because the scenes actually resonated. This started out slow then just sped up the pace towards the middle to get to the end quicker. The more the movie went on the more disappointed I was.

M Solo and Big Dangerous like this.
    M Solo and Big Dangerous like this.
    Apr 16, 2024