Johnny Nunez talks about when Suge Knight got shot at Kanye's 2005 VMAs party

Started by ItsTheReal, May 2, 2017, in Music Add to Reading List

1. ItsTheReal

May 2, 2017

Johnny Nunez - the celebrity photographer who's worked with everyone from Kanye to Jay to Beyonce to Warren Buffett - was on our podcast (A Waste of Time with ItsTheReal) this week and it's all crazy stories: hanging out with Prince, almost getting beaten up by Craig Mack, sneaking into Nelson Mandela's house...

But I wanted to share this, about Jimmy Henchman asking Johnny to take a picture of him:

ERIC: Is there any situation where you're moving with a big entourage - Rocafella or anybody else you're moving with - and you get left behind?

JOHNNY: I almost got stuck in London when I was with Russell Simmons. The more I spoke to he passport checkpoints, the more they wanted to call security. They were like, why does this passport look so wet?

ERIC: Wet?

JOHNNY: Well, about a few weeks prior at Kanye West's party at the Shore Club, Jimmy Henchmen comes over and says, "Johnny, come get this shot." Jimmy was there, he managed Game at the time. And he says, "Come with me, I want you to take this photograph." But I just saw Suge Knight by the bar, so I said, "Jimmy, Jimmy, I don't think it's a wise idea to go over there." He said, "No, it's a wise idea. Get your camera. When I give you the head nod, I want you to get this photo." I'm like, "Okay." Next thing I know, I follow him and there's Suge Knight, leaned up against the bar, making perfect circles from cigar smoke. So, I go, What the h---? Suge takes an inhale and blows a perfect ring of smoke in Jimmy Henchman's face. Jimmy went one head-nod to the left, and looked at me, did one head nod to me. I'm like, "What am I shooting?" Some guy with a musket just comes from behind Suge and BOOM, shoots him right there. I'm like, [camera flicking]. I'm like, "Holy s---." In one split second, it was like everyone was frozen. Then it was pure anarchy. Everyone stepping on top of each other, people were falling, glasses are breaking, people are screaming. And as I'm running outside, trying to get away, here's Kanye West, John Legend, Don C, the whole GOOD Music team all running. I don't know where we were running to, but someone told Jermaine Dupri...and either it was a birthday for Janet Jackson, and he'd rented out the Versace mansion, or his birthday, and she'd rented out the mansion for him. So we ran all the way to the Versace mansion and Jermaine Dupri gets on the mic: "Yo, I heard what happened at your party, man, but there's only one thing we can do: just jump in the pool, y'all!" And I'll never forget: I just put my camera down and everybody jumped in the Versace pool. And later on, I realized my passport was wet. No matter what country I went to, it was just real...flabby.

JEFF: Wait, hold on...Jimmy Henchman asks you to take this picture. What did he want you to accomplish by you taking a picture of Suge Knight getting shot?

JOHNNY:
    I don't know, man. I guess the best way to put it is...I tell people all the time: I was not only the personal photographer to known gangsters - Jimmy Henchman, Haitian Jack, BMF's Big Meech...I used to hang around a lot of heavyweights in that lifestyle. And the rap music world. So I'm like, from the movie City of God, I'm like Rocket. I have one foot with the hipsters and the socialites from the Hamptons to Upper West, Upper East and I also had Thug Life: cats that were really the gangsters that certain rappers rapped about, but never ever touched a product. Who never been in a shootout, but their raps sound like they did.

More here:

Sp00ky likes this.
    Sp00ky likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  2. Big Dangerous

Big Dangerous World Heavyweight Champion

May 2, 2017
    wait how many times has suge been shot??? tf

0 0
    Apr 20, 2024
  3. marmin shkreli

marmin shkreli multi til the sun die

May 2, 2017
    not enough

Sp00ky and Big Dangerous like this.
    Sp00ky and Big Dangerous like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  4. Big Dangerous

Big Dangerous World Heavyweight Champion

May 2, 2017
    AMEN

marmin shkreli likes this.
    marmin shkreli likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  5. reservoirGod

reservoirGod reckless adventurer.

May 2, 2017
    A musket?

soul intent likes this.
    soul intent likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  6. Sp00ky

Sp00ky SectionEighty's Friendly Robot

May 2, 2017
    "A Waste Of Time" is one of the most slept on podcast's on the net. a lot of gems in those episodes, the theophilus london episode :whew:

ItsTheReal likes this.
    ItsTheReal likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024