Wrestling Official New Japan Pro-Wrestling Thread (& Indies...)

Started by Big Dangerous, Jun 25, 2017, in Sports Add to Reading List

1. Charlie Work

Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

Aug 3, 2018
    Ah, well at least Josh is getting some work that doesn't injure his brain. I've thought about catching it before. Are they on location ringside or what? Also, are there other US programs with different production staff? I've only ever seen it advertised on AXS.

Apr 20, 2024
  2. Big Dangerous

Big Dangerous World Heavyweight Champion

Aug 3, 2018
    There is the AXS show and then the actual product on the streaming service @njpwworld.com has English commentary for basically every event now as well.

I don't have AXS but if I'm not mistaken Josh and JR just do commentary over footage so it's on a delayed release. But they are the live commentary team on the US special which they're starting to do more of, they've did one each of the past two years. Josh actually got involved in a match at the last one (nothing big but he got in the ring).

Sign Language and Pinhead like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  3. Alpha

Alpha

Aug 3, 2018
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Met up with my buddy today and I also finally got my shirt.

(this is my first ever authentic piece of wrestling merch and ironically enough it wasn't a wwe one)

@NJPWBros

Sign Language, Gloku, Pinhead and 2 others like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  4. Big Dangerous

Aug 3, 2018
    Sick man , only wrestling merch I've ever bought was my njpw shirt too

Sign Language likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  5. Big Dangerous

Aug 3, 2018
    Its already been said but I want to take this time to remind everyone that Kenny has FREAK athleticism because I feel like it isn't stated enough. He's a legit athletic freak on the shortlist of pro wrestlers and people I've ever seen. The amount of things he is able to do is staggering

Alpha and Thili like this.
    Alpha and Thili like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  6. Thili

Aug 3, 2018
    He really is. But let's not forget he'll never be the genetic freak of Big Poppa Pump

[​IMG]

Sign Language and Big Dangerous like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  7. Alpha

Alpha

Aug 3, 2018
    NJPW is on the rise!!!

Big Dangerous likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  8. Big Dangerous

Aug 3, 2018
    Just watched the 7/30 and 8/1 shows, here are some thoughts

Highlights for me were easily Omega/ZSJ and Goto/Ibushi from the second night...Goto continues to k--- it this G1 as well as Ibushi, just all around excellent wrestling there. 4.5/5

It was very interesting to see a mat-based Kenny match, definitely one of his more unique matches of the past 12 or so months-- he has a lot of chemistry w/ Zack and I'm sure they could put on an even better match down the road. 4.5/5

Jay White and Hangman from the first night was decent enough and then just devolved into nonsense toward the end...it just me or this G1 way dirtier in the undercard than it was last year? Jay White continues slaying people and Hangman is yet to have another performance equal to his bout against the ace 3.25/5

Juice vs SANADA wasn't bad. There was some sloppy spots here and there but I liked Juice finally ridding himself of the cast gimmick. No clue what they plan to do here cause I think he's got a rough schedule ahead of him. Still perplexed why they put the belt on him just to bury him in this G1 3.5/5

Okada vs Big Mike...phew did this one have a fantastic final quarter. Just like their match from last year, lot of chemistry and innovative spots between these two. I thought the first half of the match was lackluster though. 4.25/5

Alpha and Pinhead like this.
    Alpha and Pinhead like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  9. Pinhead

Aug 4, 2018
    @Charlie Work He's awful. The New Japan he participated in is different than the New Japan now and he makes that known. He buries the most popular tag team in the world and their style, he buries the referees, him and JR make little quips about what wrestling is and should be.

And yeah, as Big mentioned he literally tried to f---ing assault a wrestler in the middle of a great match after a spot went wrong. Then they were unprofessional as f--- the rest of the show. It was a disaster.

That's Dragon Lee's finish that he does all the time in Mexico. Ibushi has done it with no issue. Hiromu has taken it a bunch of times. The problem was he wrestled a "King of Indies" tournament the night before and ended up having 4 apparently great matches in 24 hours. It's hard to want to change the business after a botched spot, but guys have to chill out a bit for sure.

Shibata said this two years ago

Hiromu after Shibata got hurt

It's who they are m8, wouldn't be the best in the world if they didn't think that way.

Apr 20, 2024
  10. Pinhead

Aug 4, 2018
    @Big Dangerous y'all still underrating Hangman. Always a four star performance from that dude.

Apr 20, 2024
  11. Gloku

Gloku FuckOnYaBabyMama

Aug 4, 2018
    @NJPWBros yall missin out on that LIJ merch

Apr 20, 2024
  12. Alpha

Alpha

Aug 4, 2018

Apr 20, 2024
  13. Big Dangerous

Aug 4, 2018
    I still think the Barnett thing was Kayfabe. There's no way that really happened the way it did.

And as far as that move, yes, I myself have seen it done and seen it done by Dragon Lee (even to Hiromu) a million times. It's still an overly complex, painful looking move and regardless of the reasons it still finally hurt someone.

Apr 20, 2024
  14. Pinhead

Aug 4, 2018
    Ishii and Omega just had their best match and I'd be shocked if Naito wasn't seriously hurt after the Ibushi match. Ishii/Kenny was rougher than he was with Ibushi and the finish is unforgettable.

Same goes for the Naito match, but there were two spots that looked even worse than the Hiromu spot. I'm f---ing rattled right now dude, I can defend botched spots but when these two are doing it on purpose it's hard to defend. The tag match LIJ had against the Golden Lovers was the same story.

Edit

Sanada/Yano - 2
    Goto/Tonga - 3.25
    Zack/Juice - 3.75
    Omega/Ishii - 5
    Ibushi/Naito - 5

Apr 20, 2024
  15. Pinhead

Aug 4, 2018
    It's been confirmed as a s---t by everyone involved.

No argument against the Hiromu thing after tonight. I really don't want guys to get hurt anymore. They got their ten stars, for whatever it's worth.

Apr 20, 2024
  16. Big Dangerous

Aug 4, 2018
    Where did this com from? An entire doc about Kenny wtf

Apr 20, 2024
  17. Big Dangerous

Aug 4, 2018
    The Omega/Ishii and Naito/Ibushi matches were incredible...

I agree @Pinhead , that was the best in the Omega/Ishii series and that's unbelievable because I loved their other matches. Incredible s---...they're just pulling matches like this off at will now.

Ibushi and Naito topped their classic from last year and somehow, some f---ing how, SOMEHOW upped the anti from a f---ing top rope piledriver. Seriously, wtf was that s--- @Pinhead ? That was the most vicious neck bump I've ever seen. Like it wasn't a botch, it was just legit an unabashed 'drop this f---ing guy on his f---ing head straight as a f---ing board'. Just insane. I don't know how he does it, honestly I hope he's not seriously hurt like Hiromu. We look over this because it's Naito and we're just desensitized to it but this guy takes the most vicious bumps on a big-match to big-match basis. I don't know if sloppy is the right term, but he simply does not care to throw caution to the wind.

Pinhead and Alpha like this.
    Pinhead and Alpha like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  18. Alpha

Alpha

Aug 4, 2018
    @NJPWBros
    What are some of your favorites NJPW entrance theme songs?

Apr 20, 2024
  19. Big Dangerous

Aug 4, 2018
    my favorite

Alpha likes this.
    Alpha likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  20. Alpha

Alpha

Aug 4, 2018
    These are solid, I'm currently hooked on Naito's theme song. Also, what did you think of the remix of Okada's theme?

Apr 20, 2024