Started by Ordinary Joel, Nov 30, 2017, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Nov 30, 2017
    http://djbooth.net/news/entry/2017-11-28-t-pain-borrowed-money

By Donna-Claire Chesman | Posted November 28, 2017

“I definitely had to run out of money first.”

[​IMG]

Every artist, no matter the stage of their career, has at least one good comeback story.

For T-Pain, the road to his newly-released comeback album, Oblivion, was paved by depression, a severe drinking problem, and having to borrow money for a Whopper from Burger King. (Comments appear around the 5:44 mark.)

Speaking with Gary Vaynerchuk on the AskGaryVee podcast, Pain detailed a four-year stint of drinking too much ("[I was] just sittin' at home, drinking myself to death"), and falling into a dark pit of his vices. How did Pain snap out of it and come back to the surface? His wife, who assured him that his music and his contributions to the genre were more valuable than ever.

Oh, and running out of money.

“I definitely had to run out of money first,” Teddy tells Vaynerchuk. “I had to borrow money to get Burger King. It got that bad. And I still had artists, and stuff. I was paying for photoshoots, and I was borrowing money to do all that.”

T-Pain’s story is not unique on the surface. Money comes and goes in this business, and with his juggling three managers—each getting twenty percent—it’s not surprising that his financials weren’t exactly in order. What is unique, however, is Pain’s optimism and jovial personality, how he is able to look back and laugh at himself and see a brighter future ahead of him.

As disheartening as it sounds, to be an artist is also to be a fighter, and the most beloved musicians are also the strongest in the ring. Whether the opponent is the label, the bottle, their family, or themselves, struggle may not be entirely necessary to make good music, but is certainly helps. As Vaynerchuk rightly adds, “Fans love that third chapter” from a career artist. Fans, at their core, want to see their artists win.

Unfortunately for Pain, he also wasn't getting paid for his work with Cash Money, for which he blames himself.

Sometimes, you do have to lose it all to enter the next chapter of your career.

Like this article? DJBooth is committed to quality music journalism, never clickbait. You can join us by downloading our app or following us on Facebook or Twitter.

Apr 19, 2024
  2. SleepyGhost

SleepyGhost Banned

Nov 30, 2017
    Les go pain [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Apr 19, 2024
  3. Buu

Buu

Nov 30, 2017
    Exaggeration like f---, like nobody hasn't ever asked their boy for cash to go to McDonalds lmfaoo

Ordinary Joel and Lil Squeed like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Lil Squeed like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  4. Lil Squeed

Lil Squeed French Montana Stan

Nov 30, 2017
    :sad1:

Apr 19, 2024
  5. pluto✰

pluto✰ where the opioids?

Nov 30, 2017
    basically