Started by Ordinary Joel, Mar 4, 2018, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Mar 4, 2018
    http://metro.co.uk/2018/03/02/wiley-awarded-mbe-services-music-7356086/

Julie Ann Trainor
    Friday 2 Mar 2018 2:38 pm

[​IMG]
    Wiley has been awarded an MBE for services to music (Picture: PA)

Grime star Wiley said that receiving an MBE in the New Year’s Honours was like ‘the school grade I wanted and didn’t get’. The musician – real name Richard Cowie – looked smart in a suit, as he picked up the famous accolade for his services to music, having enjoyed chart success in the past with hits such as Wearing my Rolex and Heatwave. He didn’t forget to give a nod to her Majesty after the honour was made public over two months ago, and tweeted, ‘Big up the Queen.’ Clearly moved by his award, the 39-year-old added: ‘I would like to thank my mother and father plus all family members and friends for being there for me when I needed them.’

[​IMG]
    Wiley said the honour was like the school grade he never got (Picture: PA)

The star is often referred to as the ‘godfather of grime’, and Skepta calls him ‘one of my favourite people on the planet’, and an ‘inspiration’ to his career. The 39-year-old has enjoyed a rollercoaster ride of a career so far. Born in Bow, East London, he was exposed to music from his cot when his father’s band would use the bedroom as a rehearsal space. After a slightly unsettled childhood, Wiley spent some time in Kent living with his mother and grandmother, before returning to London with his father where he began selling drugs.

But he swapped a life of crime for music after receiving threats from a rival dealer and being stabbed on at least three occasions. This year saw him return to his grime roots once again with his album aptly named The Godfather II. He was also honoured at the NME Awards with an Outstanding Contribution to Music Award earlier last year.

0 0
    Apr 19, 2024