Kanye Madness: SectionEighty Edition [Winner Gets a $50+ Amazon Gift Card!]

Started by DKC, Mar 15, 2018, in Hall of Fame Add to Reading List

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DKC

DKC hank trill

Mar 15, 2018
    ***Brackets are due by NOON PST on Sunday, March 18th***

You may fill out the template below or follow the directions on this Google Doc. Make sure you go to your Google Drive homepage and get a sharable link for when you send it to me, otherwise I won't be able to view it.

Join the @KanyeMadness usergroup to be alerted when a batch of polls go up.

1. Fill out a bracket with your user name typed/written on it by Sunday, March 18th at 9AM PST and PM it to me. Don't just send me a list of match-ups.
    2. When filling out a bracket, you are trying to predict how section.80 will vote, not necessarily picking your favorite songs. image bracket | google doc bracket
    3. You may still vote even if you don't fill out a bracket.
    4. You score points for each match-up you correctly predict. The amount of points you get for a correct pick doubles each round.
    5. Don't a be a d-ck and make alliances with people to vote a certain way to try and rig the results. If you do, you'll be banned from the game and the forum for as long as we see fit
    6. The winner (and perhaps a second and third place winner as well) will receive an Amazon gift card (amount TBD). If you would like to contribute to the prize money, s---t me a PM.

The fine print:
    As anyone paying attention to rap twitter knows, there's currently a "Kanye Madness" bracket making the rounds inspired by March Madness, which a college basketball tournament in the United States for anyone unaware. I honestly have no idea if anyone outside of the US pays attention to that s---. But just in case: the tournament involves 64 teams going head-to-head single-elimination style, and it's popular for groups of people at work/school/etc. to make a betting pool where they fill out their own bracket and try to predict who is going to win each match up.

Carrington Harrison, the creator of the original bracket, did a great job with it, but when we discussed it as a staff, we found some glaring omissions (Gone, All Day, Hold My Liquor, etc.) and some songs that had no chance of making it past round one (Crack Music, Big Brother), so @Loyalty was kind enough to recreate the bracket with some tweaks. I kept thinking we should change up some of the match-ups because, for example, how the h--- am I supposed to choose between "Runaway" and "Blood on the Leaves?" But the sign of a good bracket is that nearly every choice is a tough one. Of course, there are still some songs missing that we all wanted in (Coldest Winter, Cold, FML, and Christian Dior Denim Flow to name a few), but that's simply a testament to the strength of Kanye's output. @JFK half-jokingly suggested we do 128 songs, and honestly, we probably could have filled it up, but we decided to keep it succinct in the spirit of March Madness and also leave out Good Friday and Cruel Summer songs because quite a few of those are barely Kanye songs and are more label/posse cuts.

[​IMG]

How it works:
    1. When filling out your bracket, you are trying to predict how sectioneighty will vote, not necessarily choosing your favorite songs. For example, "Everything I Am" is a top five Kanye song for me, but I might put "Love Lockdown" down as winning that match-up on my bracket because I think it might be overall more popular among users here. I suppose there is a margin of error in that, if I put "Love Lockdown" on my bracket even if I like "Everything I Am" more, I would probably end up voting for a "Love Lockdown" in the actual poll to further my chances of winning instead of being honest and voting for the song I actually like more...but there's no way to really enforce that and hopefully there will be enough people voting who aren't participating that it won't matter.

2. Fill out a bracket and PM it to me (please type/write your username on the image you send so it's easy for me to keep track of them). You can use paint to type the names in, or print it and write it by hand and take a picture and send it to me, or use photoshop to copy and paste each square to move them along each round. Doesn't matter as long as it's legible and has your name on it. Don't share them until after sign-ups are closed, and I will post everyone's brackets in a dedicated thread afterward. Brackets are due by 9AM PST on Sunday, March 18th, after which I will be posting the first match-ups.

Alternatively, fill out the bracket in this google doc.
    The directions are on the first tab (make sure you go to your Google Drive homepage and get a sharable link when you send it to me)

3. I will post a thread for each match-up in a round every few days (I'll divide the first round or two by division so we're not doing 32 polls in one day) depending on how fast people vote.

4. You score the following number of points for each match-up you correctly predict in each round:
    Round one: 1 point
    Round two: 2 points
    Round three: 4 points
    Round four: 8 points
    Semi-final: 16 points
    Final: 32 points

Please keep track of your own points throughout, though I will obviously be checking the winner(s) to make sure their points are accurate.

5. Please don't be an a------ and try to rig the polls by teaming up with people or forming voting alliances or anything. This is just supposed to be fun.

6. The winner will receive a code for an Amazon Gift Card! Amount TBD depending on how much money we can scrounge up.

Any questions?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Ordinary Joel, Slyk, Flacko and 10 others like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  2. Mraczewsky

Mraczewsky r.i.p. mac

Mar 15, 2018
    in
    just need to be less tired to understand it lol
    9h shift is a b----

Ordinary Joel and DKC like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  3. DKC

DKC hank trill

Mar 15, 2018
    lol this featured sxn was still hidden but I guess it showed up in new posts or something. Will be featured shortly.

@KanyeSXN

Ordinary Joel and Mraczewsky like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  4. Mraczewsky

Mraczewsky r.i.p. mac

Mar 15, 2018
    yeah it was in the latest posts sorry lmao

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  5. DKC

DKC hank trill

Mar 15, 2018
    All good not your fault at all hahaha

Apr 20, 2024
  6. Groovy Tony

Groovy Tony Grandma's baby Eddie Kane

Mar 15, 2018
    Blood on the Leaves is winning if we're going by SXN80 votes

Apr 20, 2024
  7. DKC

DKC hank trill

Mar 15, 2018
    Put ya money where ya mouth is and fill out a bracket :kdotbless:

Apr 20, 2024
  8. SHUDEYE

SHUDEYE Kerser is the sickest.

Mar 15, 2018
    This is really cool and a great way to do elimination sorta games (which I never give a f--- about) - March Madness is pretty popular here in Aus too amongst sports fans, not huge but we know what it is and workplaces with big sports fans definitely do it

Apr 20, 2024
  9. Winter

Winter Super Comfy

Mar 15, 2018
    Hope ULB ends up going against the Diamonds Remix, would be interesting to see whether people prefer the Chance verse to Jay's.

Ordinary Joel and nunofherdeiro like this.
    Ordinary Joel and nunofherdeiro like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  10. Loyalty

Loyalty we go hard on earth

Mar 15, 2018
    Get in here @BestMembers

Apr 20, 2024
  11. aquaberryares

aquaberryares one time I made sex

Mar 15, 2018
    I think the winner should get a ktt account without having to wait for admins to approve

Apr 20, 2024
  12. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Mar 15, 2018
    Goat idea and I can't wait to call someone a fa---- for voting out a Ye song I love :grinning:

Apr 20, 2024
  13. HappyTreeFriends

HappyTreeFriends hi guys ;)

Mar 15, 2018
    I need some easy to fill in template or else this is too much work. Appreciate the work being put in tho.

Groovy Tony likes this.
    Groovy Tony likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  14. aquaberryares

aquaberryares one time I made sex

Mar 15, 2018
    That's not nice bro

Apr 20, 2024
  15. SHUDEYE

SHUDEYE Kerser is the sickest.

Mar 15, 2018

Apr 20, 2024
  16. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Mar 15, 2018
    I'm sorry

Ordinary Joel and aquaberryares like this.
    Ordinary Joel and aquaberryares like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  17. Groovy Tony

Groovy Tony Grandma's baby Eddie Kane

Mar 15, 2018
    Is there a template link to fill it out or do I have to type it all?
    :ray:

Apr 20, 2024
  18. Charlie Work

Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

Mar 15, 2018
    That's a lot of work to fill out in paint/GIMP lol

Apr 20, 2024
  19. Winter

Winter Super Comfy

Mar 15, 2018
    You could just save the image in OP, open it in photoshop/paint/whatever and copy/paste the titles.

Apr 20, 2024
  20. HappyTreeFriends

HappyTreeFriends hi guys ;)

Mar 15, 2018
    Google docs should do the trick. Setup one simple template for everyone to fill in each round. And voila! Add all the results or have it done automatically

Apr 20, 2024
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.