Best Posts: Are White People ever going to consistently listen to Black Hip Hop Artists

1. Charlie Work

Charlie Work Level 5 Goblin

Mar 26, 2018
    I mean, Drake is the biggest rapper out. We're a shade darker than Eminem rn. Getting there.

Ordinary Joel, Oldboy, Slyk and 12 others like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  2. Lil Squeed

Lil Squeed French Montana Stan

Mar 26, 2018
    um yes and he's called Flo-Rida.

Ordinary Joel, Ids5621, OwI and 7 others like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  3. DKC

DKC hank trill

Mar 26, 2018
    I feel like white people already do listen to mostly black rappers. There are a lot of white people and a lot of black rappers. Hip-hop is the most popular genre in the USA.

Edit: white people, say, 35 and under. Any generation that grew up with rap being popular.

Ordinary Joel, Guma, Zeugma and 5 others like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Guma, Zeugma and 5 others like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  4. Big Dangerous

Big Dangerous World Heavyweight Champion

Mar 26, 2018
    Talking about the general public here...obviously there are white people who enjoy hiphop culture (probably several on this website rn), but in general there is still a very real stigma when it comes to white people unabashedly listening to rap music in particularly black artists. This subtle racism is still prevalent even though hip hop is now the most popular genre in the United States for the first time...Even the most popular black artists would have a shockingly low white fanbase in ratio to overall popularity if studies were done. As I said, this is not just a thing of the past-- even in the 2010 decade I point to modern white rap artists like Mackelmore or Logic, who are blowing up and swamping the fame of otherwise moderately successful black artists who have spent years (sometimes decades) churning out well-known music.

Even black artists who supposedly maintain (or at some point maintained) a consistent white fanbase are 99% of the time genre/culture transcending entities and/or those of which who purposely attract the white crowd or appeal to a specific gender. I'm talking about Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj, Drake. Imagine if Pitbull was black...would white people be so inclined to listen to him so much?

From my experience the black artist is consistently shunned or not taken seriously, sometimes considered no more than a nostalgia act or serving one-off radio song or fun club hit, whereas the white artist will get a pass and attract an actual following from said white person and innately assumed to be a serious artist or given the benefit of the doubt from a non-rap listener, just from this subtle racism that I mentioned. Why is this? Will it ever change?

Obviously more white people probably listen to black artists in big cities but the magnetic attraction of white listeners by white artists hints at a significant phenomena across the entire United States.

Disagree? Thoughts? Experiences you can share?

asvdawg, Edward, Caine and 5 others like this.
    asvdawg, Edward, Caine and 5 others like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  5. Lil Squeed

Lil Squeed French Montana Stan

Mar 26, 2018
    I agree with OP though, the "I hate rap but I like Eminem/Macklemore/Lil Dicky" crowd is the worst

Ordinary Joel, OwI, Gimp and 3 others like this.
    Ordinary Joel, OwI, Gimp and 3 others like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  6. DKC

DKC hank trill

Mar 26, 2018
    in other news I just looked up who "NF" is and really wish I hadn't

Apr 26, 2024
  7. Big Dangerous

Mar 26, 2018
    Fair point actually

Apr 26, 2024
  8. Big Dangerous

Jun 6, 2018
    Even worse is the "well they shouldn't be allowed to call whites crackers" or "I get offended when someone calls me cracker" crowd

Like u know when someone says that they're racist, severely out of touch with reality, or both

Buddha, eddie313, Caine and 1 other person like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  9. DKC

DKC hank trill

Mar 26, 2018
    And I think that's a different argument entirely—would a white rapper who appealed to a certain demographic/sound/etc have an easier time finding success than a black rapper who appealed to the same things? Of course. Just look at Post Malone—he was handed his first hit when had virtually no other music out. He's massively more popular than, say, Ty Dolla $ign, and Post sounds nearly identical to Ty Dolla in some instances. That's white privilege at its finest.

It also brings me back to the "mumble rap" thing: "It’s a disparaging notion that, quite frankly, was probably somewhat rooted in racism in its initial use (even if most people who use it mean nothing by it at this point due to its more widespread use), as it’s a term that tends to be used to refer to southern black artists with thicker accents who use copious amounts of regional slang."

Apr 26, 2024
  10. JFK

JFK Bleach on my t-shirt

Mar 26, 2018
    You need new friends

Apr 26, 2024
  11. DKC

DKC hank trill

Mar 26, 2018
    I've never lived anywhere other than a city or a small college city, but I don't think I've heard anyone irl talk about yelawolf, logic, mgk, etc other than to make fun of them. And I'm from a very white state. WA is only like 4% black with Seattle not being much better at 8%. Though it's true that white people in Seattle are gonna be a lot different than white people in Bumfuck, North Dakota.

I'm not saying that there aren't a bunch of white middle americans who don't like rap but will listen to white rappers out of racial prejudice (whether it's conscious or subconscious). However, there are also tons of white people who listen to black rappers and are still racist.

Apr 26, 2024
  12. Lucy

Lucy #1

Jun 6, 2018
    d--- that sucks, my dad taught me to treat every race equally as s--- so it's not racist and that chinks can't drive and are s---

joeyp363, nunofherdeiro and Big Mitch like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  13. Big Mitch

Big Mitch You never made me ran once

Jun 6, 2018
    Yea I get that all the time too. "WHY THE f--- DO THEY SAY IT IF IT'S SUCH AN OFFENSIVE WORD TO THEM??? WHAT DO THEY EXPECT?? THERE'S BLACK RACISTS TOO!!!" and i'm just like chilllll......... it's a song man lol.

eddie313, Big Dangerous and Caine like this.
    eddie313, Big Dangerous and Caine like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  14. Winter

Winter Super Comfy

Jun 6, 2018
    It was a real collab, it's from his HIStory album

Buddha, DKC and eddie313 like this.
    Buddha, DKC and eddie313 like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  15. Interlude

Jun 6, 2018
    Who gives a f--- about race anymore? You want white people to listen to black artist's music and call it racism when they don't, but shame them publicly for rapping along "n-----"? There is so much hipocrisy I could't read more than a few sentences.

People listen to music they can relate, of course a white soccer mom won't listen to black artists, who rap about murdering, dealing coke and so on. They will however listen to Pulitzer boy Kendrick. Have you seen footage of Kedrick's concerts lately? It's absolutely packed with white folks. So it's mostly not about their skin color, it's about what they rap about and how agressive they sound.

Guma, Caine and eddie313 like this.
    Guma, Caine and eddie313 like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  16. Chaotic Progress

Chaotic Progress TDoSS - JUN 7

Jun 5, 2018
    True,

But I think it's more personality and taste driven than people give it credit for.

As in - there's plenty of black people who are big rock fans, for example and who like Eminem (I've known many in my life) and only listen to Eminem in terms of rap. Because he's one that crossed over into their territory, who they've heard and appeals to their sensibilities - as in he makes music whith rock undertones, musically and in attitude.

So I think it's less race related than people try to make it, it's just that obviously... there's A LOT more white people, so this is what you're going to see all the time. So given that we're always seeing white rock fans and s--- like 'I ONLY LISTEN TO EMINEM', it's easy to draw the race conclusion...

But this is also subtle racism towards black people who are also like this and it's actually just taste/exposure driven; implying that all or most black people automatically listen to black artists because they're black lol and racist to white AND black people to suggest a) the majority of white people are inherently racist and their main reason for identifying is race and not so if they are black and that b) black people are also inherently the same towards their own race/they automatically listen to black artists BUT are NOT bias like white people and also listen to whites lol.

(White rock fans also listen to a lot of black rock artists for example. So it's clear it's not about race. It's what they're exposed to and which appeals to their sensibilities).

I think it is much more about taste and who say - rock, or pop fans are exposed to and who actually appeals to their sensibilities - not due to race but due to the music they make; Eminem has always made rock-tinged rap, rock is part of his influence and also with a pop sensibility in the sense of being repetitive and catchy, and he's obviously HUGE so they've heard him and like his music more than other rap they may have heard or not been exposed to. But that's not white people going 'WELL HE'S WHITE SO IMA LISTEN', that's just the fact he appeals to rock and pop sensibilities much more, and there's so many white people that we see them saying this kind of s--- all the time.

But I think there is an extremely low amount of actual people who seriously listen to anybody or exclude listening to people because of their race. That's real racists and if anybody seriously thinks the majority of kids, teens or people period are all deeply racist like that... I think it's a bit silly lol.

You'll find plenty of white rock fans who also 'just listen to 2Pac' as well and think 'all other rap is trash'.

Apr 26, 2024
  17. Big Dangerous

Jun 5, 2018
    And at the same time not a good look for either...some (out of touch) white people I'm sure look at this vid and use it as proof like oh, that's what happens when we try to mingle into their music

When in reality that's a whole other thing...no one should ever be expected to freely use the n word and saying that and enjoying/listening to rap music is not mutually exclusive

Buddha, Caine and eddie313 like this.
    Buddha, Caine and eddie313 like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  18. Winter

Winter Super Comfy

Mar 26, 2018
    idk I think there's a line between white rap fans and the average white American. The average white guy probably hears more black rappers through virtue of it being the biggest genre in the country, but given the choice most of them will gravitate toward the artists who look like them. Can't think of any other explanation for trash like Macklemore's success.

Ordinary Joel, Big Dangerous and DKC like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Big Dangerous and DKC like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  19. Big Dangerous

Mar 26, 2018
    Or because they're racist

I'm not saying will black rap artists be more listened to by the white person than pop or rock music...but I feel the ratio is drastically weighted incorrectly at the moment and always has been

Caine, reesey and HappyTreeFriends like this.
    Caine, reesey and HappyTreeFriends like this.
    Apr 26, 2024