Best Posts: Heat Check (Mos Def - The Ecstatic)

1. Sav Stanfield

Apr 8, 2019
    went on a heavy Ruff Ryders run recently, was surprised at how well this album held up, I hadn't listened in years. By far Jada's best album. His voice is so iconic. Is is the best RR album of all time? I guess it depends if X's debut counts as an RR album? Plus I've always thought Great Depression was underrated. I needa relisten to We Are the Streets too, remember that being dope as well.

this s--- slaps just as hard as it did 20 years ago

Apr 19, 2024
  2. Enez

Enez Purple Heats Forever

Apr 8, 2019
    Checklist:
    Jadakiss - Kiss That Game Goodbye
    Snoop Dogg - No Limit Top Dogg
    MF Grimm - American Hunger
    p---- C - Pimpalation
    Styles P - A Gangster & A Gentleman
    Curren$y X The Alchemist - Covert Coup
    Cam'ron - Come Home With Me
    Big Lurch - It's All Bad
    RZA - Bobby Digital In Stereo
    Dom Kennedy - Get Home Safely
    Busta Rhymes - ELE
    Wiz Khalifa - Kush & OJ
    Mos Def - The Ecstatic

Heat Check is me recommending albums that I think everyone should check out at some time. Some of the albums imo are pretty underrated & give nostalgia. For the first one, we got Kiss Tha Game Goodbye by Jadakiss.

[​IMG]

Honestly, I could've put any Jada album, h--- any LOX solo album, they're d--- underrated.

Lot of people remember this album because of one song, We Gonna Make It, which isn't terrible at all, but honestly there are much better tracks, Show Discipline for example.

It's definitely a classic in my eyes, probably the best Ruff Ryder's album of all time.

(Shout-out Sav for the idea lol)

Last edited: May 7, 2019
    CJ Poe, Ordinary Joel, Buddha and 5 others like this.
    CJ Poe, Ordinary Joel, Buddha and 5 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  3. Enez

Apr 26, 2019
    Next album is Busta Rhymes' Extinction Level Event.

[​IMG]

If I had to pick any Busta album to be on here, this would be the one. It's still the best Busta project dropped so far. New album in 2019 I heard. Can't wait.

Apr 19, 2024
  4. Enez

Apr 9, 2019
    Next up, possibly the best album of his No Limit run, it's Snoop Dogg's No Limit Top Dogg.

[​IMG]

Snoop's No Limit days were a little baffling to say the least. Da Game, while not completely garbage, was way off of what Snoop was doing before. This album really impressed me while listening to all of Snoop's albums in order. It's one of Snoop's best albums imo.

Apr 19, 2024
  5. Sav Stanfield

Apr 8, 2019
    by the way @WheresTheMeat this is a brilliant idea! Keep blessing us with those recommendations, the S80 streets is starving

Jay Zeus, RVD, Ordinary Joel and 4 others like this.
    Jay Zeus, RVD, Ordinary Joel and 4 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  6. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Apr 9, 2019
    Great thread, you & Sav deserve all the blessings in the world

- Jadakiss a God here in Westchester, I've ran into Styles P a few times in the Stop & Shop near me! Kiss The Game Goodbye had some issues that plagued a lot of early-mid 2000s releases (half-assed radio singles, a lot of filler) but boy do those standouts knock hard. Jadakiss is so crafty with the punchlines and set-ups, his mixtapes always gave me the idea that without label pressure (something him & The Lox are no strangers to, shoutout Puff) he's unstoppable and free to rap his a--- off. Still his niche of freestyles is still valuable to the culture.

- No Limit Top Dogg is so overlooked, so overlooked that I d--- near haven't heard this in years brb! But his discography is so so good, plenty of hits and I even have a soft spot for his misses. He's shapeshifted so many g.d. times, few rappers have ever attempted all the changes he's done, it's a testament to his ability he's still got the spark.

Apr 19, 2024
  7. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

May 7, 2019
    For years I championed this as Mos' best album, and on some days I do still believe that.

Can't believe we're a month away from it's 10th year anniversary!

I'll never forget the first time I heard Auditorium. :allears:

Fire Squad, Enez, Zeugma and 2 others like this.
    Fire Squad, Enez, Zeugma and 2 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  8. Enez

Apr 29, 2019
    I'm a man of my word when I say it's Mixtape Monday. This week's tape is unsurprisingly Wiz Khalifa's Kush & Orange Juice.

[​IMG]

What the h--- can I put here that hasn't been said. Kush & OJ is the best project Wiz ever released besides Cabin Fever, one of the best mixtapes ever, and a 4/20 classic. This wasn't my first Wiz project I listened to, but it was the first to really stand out. Another year and this s--- will be 10 years old.

Apr 19, 2024
  9. Enez

Apr 27, 2019
    Since Covert Coup was discussed, thought I'd make an addition to HC, Mixtape Monday!

Basically a mixtape will be brought up, and everyone's gonna discuss it as usual.

This Monday's gonna be a 4/20 classic (I know, late as h---). You should already know what it is..

Apr 19, 2024
  10. Buddha

Apr 27, 2019
    I f---ing love Cam, particularly Children of the Corn Cam when he was hungry and raw as f---. I obviously f--- with his later s--- and Dispet heavy, but I will always have a soft spot for children of the corn. It’s a d--- shame so many of those old songs have such s-----y sound quality. Someone needs to remaster all those old classics. Still doesn’t stop me from listening to them though.

Apr 19, 2024
  11. Sav Stanfield

Apr 26, 2019
    Busta has a pretty good discog, just never dropped that career defining album he was always capable of. Came close a few times, ELE probably the closest tbh. Havent listened to this in years, I'm loving these throwbacks you're posting in here. good memories.

Zeugma, Michael Myers, Buddha and 2 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  12. Enez

Apr 12, 2019
    Next album is Styles P's Gangster & A Gentleman.
    [​IMG]

Remember when I said Kiss Tha Game Goodbye was the best RR album? I'mma take that back, this might just be the one.

Much like Kiss, Ghost had one hit on the radio and that was it. Which is a d--- shame, considering it's P, n----s always slept on Ghost.

(Taking the weekend off, until next time.)

Apr 19, 2024
  13. Enez

Apr 11, 2019
    Next album is p---- C's Pimpalation

[​IMG]

I can't say anything reasonable for p---- other than n-----'s solo work is sort of slept on in a sort of way. Also the only album I've heard of p----.

Apr 19, 2024
  14. Tone Riggz

Tone Riggz There's No Cure For Being A C*nt

Apr 10, 2019
    I own Jada and Grimm's albums. The Jada album wasn't perfect but it was the soundtrack to my summer that year, during my high school years. Wore that album out in the summer of '01. Came out right before 9/11. After 9/11, " We Gonna Make It" became the anthem.

Grimm's album was ambitious but way too many tracks. I prefer his older material and I also enjoyed his graphic novel.

Red Rum, Jay Zeus, Buddha and 2 others like this.
    Red Rum, Jay Zeus, Buddha and 2 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  15. Enez

Apr 9, 2019
    Next album is probably one of the greatest albums I've probably heard in a long time. MF Grimm's American Hunger
    [​IMG]

Grimm has to be the most underrated rapper of all time. Even as a DOOM fan, I've slept on this man HEAVY.

This is the first ever triple rap album released, which is def a crowning achievement. However the length will probably throw a lot of people off. 3 discs, 3 & a half hours long. Grimm mentioned that the album shouldn't be listened in one session, but in three different session. Why would you anyway?

It's definitely a must listen if you can get past it's drawbacks, surprised that there wasn't really any filler in this record. Grimm has been through a lot in his career, but it's truly paid off.

Apr 19, 2024
  16. Enez

May 7, 2019
    I've been sleep...
    :wow5:

Next album is Mos Def's Ecstatic.

[​IMG]

Oh s---, brb I haven't listened to this in ages.... besides that booming Supermagic track.

Discuss anyway.

Apr 19, 2024
  17. Sav Stanfield

Apr 28, 2019
    this is a great idea, keep it up man

Apr 19, 2024
  18. Winter

Winter Super Comfy

Apr 27, 2019
    Busta is undeniably a good rapper, but he’s never been able to channel his obvious talent into a good front to back album. ELE is probably the closest he ever came, but it’s bloated af and Busta’s style just isn’t varied enough to carry a project for over an hour.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
    Apr 19, 2024
  19. Enez

Apr 21, 2019
    Next album is Dom Kennedy's Get Home Safely.
    [​IMG]

Dom K's album run is insane. Yellow Album is still being bumped. From The Westside With Love still cranking. This was well worth it. Dom might have fell off in recent years, but he's still one of the best to ever do it.

Apr 19, 2024
  20. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Apr 15, 2019
    Catching up but g.d. I love your choices!

- p---- C has this larger than life presence, very few rappers have the sort of swag and style that he brings, it was the perfect foil for Bun B's realism. I haven't heard this in awhile, reminds me of all the great stuff that came out from Texas during that era of Swishahouse prominence.

- Oh s--- another Lox b-----r, SP one of my personal favorites, a real master with the metaphors and has a way of saying the hard facts of life sound so effortless. I have so many memories of A Gangster & A Gentleman, has that hazy dusty production that gives Styles the perfect canvas for his ability. Over here you'd get major grins from people in the sidewalks bumping Good Times.

- It's so impossible for me to pick my favorite Curren$y mixtape, but on somedays Covert Coup probably my answer for his best work altogether. Alchemist is a freaking genius, this has that griminess & steel that we all love from Mobb Deep but with Spitta laying down some opulent vibes for days. Scottie Pippen forever one of the goat songs, so happy we got Fetti years later.

- Cam is my favorite rapper, words can't describe how much I love this album since it started his trailblazing run with the Roc. It has all the vicious imagination and street tales that Cam has made his legendary career of, those soul samples only intensify the mood. He gave us the true glimpse of what Juelz looked capable of, I forever associate this album with that wonderful summer of 02, this s--- never getting old to me

Apr 19, 2024