Best Posts: Death of autotune and "mumble rap"

1. Sav Stanfield

May 4, 2019
    There will always be a disconnect between older and newer gens. I remember reading an interview with Pharaoh Monch who said he had old heads telling him Organized Konfusion was trash. Old heads used to s--- on Lil Wayne when he came out, 50 Cent went he came out. It'll never end. Yachty and Pump will probably be shi--ing on new rappers in 2030.

I don't think I understood it in 2009 when Jay dropped DOA, but looking back (and as much as I love Hov), the sentiment behind the song sucks. And what did it achieve anyway? Same goes for Em's tirade against mumble rappers imo. I think Jay would have got similar backlash if he dropped DOA (or a modern equivalent) today.

Mar 29, 2024
  2. aquaberryares

aquaberryares one time I made sex

May 5, 2019
    mumble crap sucks. i prefer intelligent rappers like logic and eminem cus theyre not ghetto and use proper grammar

Mar 29, 2024
  3. CJ Poe

CJ Poe The Dark Vegan

May 4, 2019
    It is what it is..lol I don't really care for it, but it's catchy I guess

I like real Country..lol nothing against it though, I understand his hustle and it worked

Mar 29, 2024
  4. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

May 4, 2019
    Tbh,

Jay went at autotune. While I kinda agree it was overused it gave us 808&HB, tons of classic weezy verses and lets be real Tpain is a goat. I would also put autotune 2009 rap over most of the new wave right now. Also has to do w age I guess.. but I do like several.

But my point is, jay went at the current wave kinda in the same way eminem did/does in 2018/2019. Obviously eminem is doing it because he's mad at the critics for criticizing him, but still.

Mar 29, 2024
  5. CJ Poe

CJ Poe The Dark Vegan

May 4, 2019
    To be fair rap wasn't as bad in 2009 as it is now, Hip-Hop is on life support these days

The corny s--- that comes out these days isn't for me, but it's all good to each his own, but I'd be lying if I said it isn't garbage

Kids today don't give a d--- about lyrics and it shows. "yOU cAnT tUrN uP tO LyRiCs"

Mar 29, 2024
  6. dna hits

May 5, 2019
    Idk how Eminem can go at mumble rap or auto tune when he made Recovery and Revival. Both pop albums, not classic rap. And his no favors verse, campaign speech and more I can’t remember the name of is basically mumble rap. Same with Jay riding the d----s of new autotune rappers in 2009. The older artist are just mad people don’t ride their d-ck anymore in 2019. Rap evolves every few years. Plenty of great trap, rap lyricist in today’s music. If you’re making s--- music now and used to be good, and you can’t handle the truth of what the critics have to say then you shouldn’t be making music anymore.

Winter, Michael Myers and Buddha like this.
    Winter, Michael Myers and Buddha like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  7. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

May 5, 2019
    I want the thug remix tbh. Song w billy ray is dope tho

Mar 29, 2024
  8. Lil Squeed

Lil Squeed French Montana Stan

May 5, 2019
    Old Town Road slander will not be tolerated but I’m going to take this opportunity to say Lil Nas X is taking too long with his releases and it’s getting old real quick. Track already got ran into the ground and he still hasn’t released the music video

Mar 29, 2024
  9. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

May 4, 2019
    Funny thing is also that DOA was the first single of BP3. "This aint for Itunes, not for singalongs!!!"

Then he drops empire state of mind, run this town and other pop songs on BP3. If that aren't sing alongs I dunno what they are lmao.

Same w Eminem .... 'real rap' - Recovery, Revival.. lol.

Both kinda made up for it with 444 and Kamikazr but still, both were/are hypocrites

Ordinary Joel, Buddha and Zeugma like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Buddha and Zeugma like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  10. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

May 4, 2019
    Yeah the thing I like about it, I only have the BRC remix btw, is that lil nas x is doing typical country stuff on it (talking about horses cowboys etc) and billy ray is bragging about sports cars. Love how they reversed the rap-country roles in the song. Also its kind of a new ""genre"" since mostly we get rappers on country songs, now its the other way around. Going through the old town road (basically ignoring the main road and paving your own way) is a nice metaphore for that.

Aside from it being catchy af there's a lot more to it imo.

Mar 29, 2024
  11. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

May 4, 2019
    They sing and rap in spanish bro lmao. I think @Asmodeus means lil yatchy lil xan etc

Mar 29, 2024
  12. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

May 4, 2019
    First of all, this is NOT a contest as in who is better.

This morning I was listening to music and suddenly Jay's DOA came on.

Listening to the lyrics,

'Put your skirts back down'

"I know we facing a recession
    But the music y'all making going make it the great depression"

"This ain't a number one record
    This is practically assault with a deadly weapon"

And then he makes several comments on other songs (like Put On remix) about the current wave.

Jay went at autotune, eminem went at """mumble rap"""

I honestly can't really remember (also wasn't on a forum back then) how people reacted when Jay did that. Eminem gets both praise and s--- for going against it, how did you feel about Jay in 2009?

Mar 29, 2024