Best Posts: Discovering Detroit

1. Sav Stanfield

May 11, 2019
    knew I was forgetting something: Dex Osama - also killed in 2015, just as his career was starting to take off. RIP, was talented and made some dope music

Slyk, Zeugma, Kornasty and 4 others like this.
    Slyk, Zeugma, Kornasty and 4 others like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  2. Sav Stanfield

May 11, 2019
    Yes, yes, we all know about Eminem.

Danny Brown and Big Sean have been putting on for the D for the better part of a decade now. Plus there's Slum Village - Elzhi, in particular - not to mention a Royce da 59 who's arguably at the peak of his powers right now.

But there's way more to Detroit than that. I didn't even know it until I came across Payroll Giovanni's excellent collaboration with producer Cardo - Big Bossin, Vol. 2 from last year.

Payroll's released 3 stellar projects since, but its only recently I've started digging back into his discography, and slowly but surely discovering an entire Detroit underground scene that somehow barely gets mentioned in online circles.

I'm talking about Doughboyz Cashout - one of the biggest mysteries in hip hop. How these guys are practically unknown (outside of Detroit, apparently) baffles the s--- out of me. I started by going back in Payroll's discog - to his first 2 (incredible) albums: Get Money Stay Humble (2013) and Stack Season (2015).

From Payroll, I dug into DBC's discography which spans back to 2008 when 2 seperate crews combined to form one, and started dropping mixtapes on almost annual basis - We Run the City Vols 1 - 3(2008, 09 and 10), followed by Free Roc in 2012, all of which are over an hour long but get insanely better and harder with each release.

I was even more surprised to find out that DBC had actually signed a major deal with none other than Jeezy - to his CTE label in 2013 and dropped a collaboration mixtape with Jeezy and YG - Boss Yo Life Up g--- - in 2013, which went completely under the radar. They dropped, in my opinion, their best tape yet in We Run the City Vol. 4 the following year, which is one gigantic 1 hour17 minute slap that I've had on repeat for the past 6 weeks now. This might be the hardest s--- I've ever come across in my life.

Unfortunately, DBC Roc - arguably the best rapper in the group behind Payroll was shot and killed in 2015. And since then they've gone completely quiet (RIP Roc).

But discovering DBC has led me to discovering some other new and up coming Detroit talent that draws heavily on their style and sound. Tee Grizzley is the only one of these that has seen real mainstream success, but Sada Baby, Drego and Beno and most recently - Bandgang Lonnie Bands are all following closely. All have dropped excellent tapes this year with Sada looking like he might just break through to a bigger audience in the near future.

Whats also dope to see is the success of Helluva - who's become one of the hottest producer in the game right now. Probably most famous for producing Grizzley's First Day Out but he's also done work with Kodak, SOB x RBE and a few others. Weird fact I came across about Helluva - he actually did a song with Eminem back in 2008 - which was apparently the final song Em recorded before he OD'd.

Anyways, just needed to get that off my chest. RIP Roc. And check these artists/projects out if you're interested in hearing whats happening in what I always thought was one of the quieter cities in hip hop.

Any other D Town artists I'm missing?

Slyk, Zeugma, Ordinary Joel and 4 others like this.
    Slyk, Zeugma, Ordinary Joel and 4 others like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  3. Kornasty

May 11, 2019
    Also this is a classic

Zeugma, Ordinary Joel, Ricky and 2 others like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  4. Kornasty

May 11, 2019
    Black milk - particularly album of the year

Love that s---

Mar 29, 2024
  5. Sea Mauville

May 11, 2019
    amazing thread

Mar 29, 2024
  6. Ricky

Ricky Hip-Hop CEO ™

May 11, 2019
    This thread :emoji_heart:

Mar 29, 2024
  7. Enez

Enez Purple Heats Forever

May 12, 2019
    Always thought this was mad disrespectful from JR

Mar 29, 2024
  8. Enez

May 12, 2019
    The first three basically have the same sound as Sada, Tee and some others so that's going for them. DZ had The Gift 2 drop some months ago so check that out. For ASBH, only heard JR's solo s--- but Organized Crime is a really good one. Dame been sleeping recently.

Haven't heard Blade's solo s---, only the Street Lordz albums.

Mar 29, 2024
  9. Sav Stanfield

May 12, 2019
    @Kornasty forgot about Black Milk, he's great. Havent check his latest album though, apparently was really good.

Never heard of tbh. Recommended listening?

Also read good things about Blade Icewood and Chedda Boyz (who apparently had a big influence on DBC) but havent heard any of their s---, any recommendations?

Mar 29, 2024
  10. Enez

May 11, 2019
    Still nobody mentioning the ASBH crew, Dame Dot, FMB DZ, & Benjamin Earl Turner.
    :emoji_pensive:

Mar 29, 2024
  11. Sav Stanfield

May 12, 2019
    lmffaaao dont you got diabetes

I gotta check out more from this guy

Zeugma, Ricky and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Zeugma, Ricky and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 29, 2024