What If: Clipse dropped EAF instead of Lord Willin?

Started by Enez, Jul 19, 2019, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Enez

Enez Purple Heats Forever

Jul 19, 2019
    . Basically I'm gonna start off writing What If stories on basically whatever is on my head right now. Clipse has been on my mind lately, because I literally just played the album I'm talking about here, right now. Hope you'll like it.

I've listened to Exclusive Audio Footage many times from the day I found out about it, and I kept thinking about what if this wasn't shelved at all and found itself on the store shelves instead. The two singles (The Funeral and Got Caught Dealin') didn't scratch the surface, and Clipse was dropped, and we had to wait until 2002, for our first real taste of Clipse, and 2004 for the bootlegs of the album to start rolling in. Apparently, the bootlegs weren't even the true versions of the album, being it obviously not having a cover, and the track list being f----- up, until we got a true track list from a promo CD. It's a bit of a win-lose situation here, because yeah, The Funeral may be one of, if not Clipse's best song, I'd doubt that songs like Grindin' wouldn't see the light of day.

I do want to say that I feel like EAF might be their best album, though it's definitely not more enjoyable then their other albums, especially that one. I liked the concept they were going with this, a movie-esque based coke rap album, much like any Clipse album, minus the movie part.

It's definitely a fascinating part of rap & Clipse's history as a whole, like Pusha going under Terrar instead of the usual, Pharrell's first portray in a full project, a lot of things. It no less reminds me of Fif's Power of The Dollar, and the same question being asked if that seen the light of day. I definitely would've loved a legit release back in the day, but there would be a lot to lose here.

Final Verdict: If Clipse dropped Exclusive Audio Footage instead of Lord Willin, I wouldn't think they'd be at the point of their careers as much as Lord Willin did for them.

Mar 29, 2024
  2. Enez

Jul 19, 2019
    Only The Funeral was a single, put that in mind.

Mar 29, 2024
  3. Sav Stanfield

Jul 19, 2019
    The Funeral is still one the greatest Clipse songs of all time. s--- its been years since I listened to this, I'mm have to revisit it.

Had this actually been released as their debut... tough to say. Could the Funeral have blown to the same extent that Grindin did? I guess it also depends if Lord Willin still does drop a few years later in this hypothetical. Lord Willin is the better project for sure but I think they could have made a decent splash with this back in 99, especially if they refined it a bit.

@WheresTheMeat this is an awesome idea by the way, looking forward to seeing the next ones

Ordinary Joel, Ricky and Enez like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Ricky and Enez like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  4. Enez

Jul 19, 2019
    I got a lot planned really, Jay taking that prison sentence, Shyne not going to jail, Big L especially with him supposed to be signing with Jay Z before he died. Gonna be a good one.

Mar 29, 2024
  5. Sav Stanfield

Jul 20, 2019
    maaaaan this one kills me. the things that coulda been.

Ordinary Joel, Enez and Ricky like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Enez and Ricky like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  6. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Jul 20, 2019
    As awesome as those early Clipse songs were...nothing will ever top the impact Grindin had.

That song is one of THE rap monuments of the 2000s, never mind of all time. It fast tracked the release of Lord Willin and we get the start of one of my favorite group runs, all those Re-up g--- tapes and HHNF all were so amazing to experience.

What kills me is the label issues they had, there was so much good music that should have been released on a timely basis but Clipse kept on getting shelved smh.

Amazing thread idea, I love retrospective think pieces, this is the type of content we need on here

Ordinary Joel, Sav Stanfield and Enez like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Sav Stanfield and Enez like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  7. Enez

Jul 20, 2019
    I just realized how f----- up the game would've been if Jay went to prison, everything from Nas to Kanye, who'd be the king of NY instead of them.

Ordinary Joel and Sav Stanfield like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Sav Stanfield like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  8. Sav Stanfield

Jul 20, 2019
    crackers weren't playin fair at Jive

Ordinary Joel, Fire Squad and Enez like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Fire Squad and Enez like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  9. Enez

Jul 20, 2019
    They was too busy raking money from Justin Timberlake, and all those boy bands from that era, they wasn't f---ing with E-40 and Too Short as much as they did with Clipse.

Mar 29, 2024
  10. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Jul 20, 2019
    On the topic, I just remembered this tune

The moment E-40 booked it from there, we got Ghetto Report Card phew

Sav Stanfield, Enez and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 29, 2024