I won't plan to read any of this thread until I complete S2, but my gf and I just watched S1 the past couple weeks and this show is nothing short of incredible. Production, soundtrack, acting, plot, is all top notch. I haven't felt as much anxiety from watching anything (the first 4 episodes, in particular) since Uncut Gems (both A24 productions). To invoke that deep of an emotion for the audience is astounding.
no thread for this? lol i can't be the only one watching..first season just finished last night, another incredible episode in the books
one thing's for certain: i'll be getting an Apple tattoo like Elliot's
EDIT: I had no clue that Elliott was played by an artist named Dominic Fike. Dope.
also... that tattoo is real
Looking back, it was a fine season (with its problems, definitely not flawless by any means) and Zendaya deserves some type of award for episode 5.
finished s2. I've never experienced (as a user, or a witness) what addiction looks like first hand, but I suspect that this show very accurately portrayed the events that unfold -- in particular to how the addicts actions affect the ones that they care about most (and who care about them most). No spoiler, but there was a *very* real scene that unfolded that nearly had me in tears.
I do, however, have a couple qualms now:
1.) not a real spoiler:
the scene where maddie was babysitting and trying on the owner's clothes was built up to be a nerve-racking event (will she/won't she be able to put the clothes & jewelry back in the closet before the owner comes in the house)... the entire scene was generated just to create anxiety and it felt very forced and unnecessary, as the scene/plot just wasn't very interesting at all..they took a filler scene and unnecessarily forced it into a large, anticlimactic buildup.
I only recognized this one instance of this, but I'm sure if spinning things back that I'd find more scenes that were created simply as an attempt to invoke that anxious response, despite them not having any reason to exist in the first place.
2.) i was very let down with the last 2 episodes. will include in spoiler tags:
no issue with the fez/ashtray component -- that was without a doubt the spectacle of the finales for me, and was very very very sad to see that ark come to a conclusion. ash
my qualms are strictly with Lexi's play:
- as a whole, i think the play fell flat as a climactic spectacle and event for the season to go out on. the concept of Lexi telling her story just wasn't that interesting, let alone the plot of the play itself. Unfortunately, this was 75% of the final 2 episodes..imo, the concept fell flat as a whole and missed its mark as being a dramatic conclusion to an otherwise amazing season
- the play was allll over the place and didn't seem to tell any sort of cohesive story; the plot lines existed simply to walk us through the events that we had already witnessed... we didn't learn anything from it.
- it makes very little sense that Lexi would put Rue's drug use on blast...they're friends and that's a *very* personal topic -- even more than Cassie's relationship imo (which, she harbored ill feelings towards her sister, but not in similar fashion towards Rue)
- the homoerotic locker room scene of Nate was strange, given that she wasn't aware that Nate is into guys
- i enjoyed the switching back and forth between the play and the real life events, however, add'l unrelated events were also sprinkled into the mix, which seemed uncoordinated. ex: Maddie knocking on the bathroom door while Cassie locked herself inside afraid of confrontation, and Cassie & Nate having sex etc.. it just didn't fit in the midst of the play.
- the final scene in the play is of the character portraying Rue confronting the character portraying Lexi saying that they liked the play and that they wanted to heal their friendship... the concept of that scene introduces time travel.. either the play portrayed a scene that hadn't happened yet, or it was a Nostradamus situation where Lexi pre-cog'd what the following interaction w/ Rue would be. strange.
that said, I'm still in for season 3
I don't care about teenagers
Great show. Gets a little sloppy at times.. like the end of the finale got a little weird. Either way low key top 5 show. Interested to see where they take this characters in S2.