BEST RAP ALBUMS OF 2019 Q1-3

Started by Sav Stanfield, Oct 11, 2019, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Sav Stanfield

Oct 11, 2019
    So we're 3/4s of the way through 2019

I feel like I'm listening to music differently these days. Between work and the insane rate at which new music drops, I tend to listen to chunks and pieces of albums at a time. Or just throw everything on shuffle. But with such a whirlwind of music, these have been the projects that have stuck out to most so far:

10. Kevin Gates - I'm Him
    ngl, I lost interest in Kevin Gates after Islah - none of the follow up tapes or EPs really hit home for me. This one took me right back to the Luca Brasi days though. Firstly, the man is a hook machine. Secondly, he's a very adept writer and despite some typically retawded lines (I was young when my momma had me) this is a great return to form.

9. EarthGang - Mirrorland
    While their initial 3 EP run back from 17/18 didn't do much for me, EarthGang's subsequent guest features and promo singles definitely had my interest piqued. Even moreso after the Dreamville compilation dropped. MirrorLand did not disappoint. A crazed ATL fun-house that takes the most unexpected twists and turns through a an incredibly colorful soundscape of soul and jazz and funk and trap. Sure, the OutKast comparisons will always be there but Venus and Doc (apparently they've changed their names now? I can't keep up) are absolutely their own.

9. Maxo Kream - Brandon Banks
    Its no secret that I'm a big Maxo stan. I don't think I'll get that filthy raw fix that Maxo187 gave me back in 2015 but Brandon Banks comes pretty d--- close. Maxo's biggest strength is the way he weaves incredibly intricate and detailed stories about his life into his music. And as for the music itself? Big, heavyset, dark, brilliant. think Scarface of the trap era. Astounds me how people complain about his flow being one-dimensional, when its in fact one of the most elastic and nimble in the game right now.

7. French Montana & Max B - Coke Wave 4
    Where tf did this come from? Is this French and Bigavel's best collaboration yet? Why isn't anyone else talking about this? Every second of this project screams New York. French and Max sound reborn, rejuvenated, alive. It kills me to think what could have been if Max hadn't been locked up and the incredible music French can make when he actually puts his mind to it. Big points for nostalgia with all the throwback samples and typically NY-styled back and forth, but even without that this project is essentially perfect front to back.

6. JPEGMAFIA - ALL MY HEROES ARE CORNBALLS
    I liked Veteran a lot, but it always felt like the kinda album you could only listen to once in a while. Almost too abrasive. This one's different though. Very different. Still equally as abstract and glitchy as Veteran but its coated in a thick layer of smooth sounds and textures that tie everything together much more agreeably than its predecessor (imo, at least). Peggy himself is on absolute top form, equal parts brash and hilarious and shocking and weird. If rap twitter ever became sentient and put out an album, this is what it would sound like.

5. Dreamville - Revenge of the Dreamers III
    I never thought a J. Cole album would make this high up on any list I'd make but here we are. Perfect example of an album that somehow just stuck with me even through the deluge of new releases throughout the year. Much more free-flowing and fun than any solo Cole album, all the guest features killed it, production is on point throughout. Dreamville does exactly what they set out to do on this; its fresh, its fun and its really good.

4. Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana
    I'm glad Freddie is starting to get the recognition he deserves. He's been dropping consistently brilliant music this entire decade. Madlib goes way grittier on this one than he did on Pinata but Freddie has no problem adjusting. If anything, he sounds even more engaged, his flow is ferocious, his voice barrels through the speaker with urgency. everything is covered in blood and cocaine. Time will tell how this one matches up to its predecessor but even as a standalone album this is sensational.

3. Lucki - Freewave 3
    I had just arrived to a dark, wintry depressing London when this album dropped; and for a good couple of weeks it became my soundtrack. There's a hazy atmosphere of ice-cold veins running through this project, slowing everything down, hypnotic. Its stuck with me throughout the year, Lucki's slurs wading through the instrumentals (CHASETHEMONEY is a genius), like rays of light, signs of life peaking through the darkness and the cold.

2. Denzel Curry - ZUU
    I've enjoyed all of Denzel's previous releases but this one takes the cake. Incredibly compact and cohesive, short and to the point, highlights all of Denzel's strengths and ties it all together in what I think is a definitive 'Florida' rap album (in a way that The Chronic is a definitive Cali album). I'm no Floridian but did spend a year living there and this just sounds like the Sunshine State on wax. Its f---ing amazing.

1. The WIZRD - Future
    This dropped in January and is STILL in rotation for me. Every once in a while you just need that Future fix and this entire album gives you exactly what you want every single d--- time. Still AOTY. Krazy but its true.

Some HM's (no order)

Pop Smoke - Meet the Wu
    I'm praying this dude doesn't just disappear into the bottomless pit of forgotten 2010's NY rappers. One of the most distinctive voices in the game right now, he sounds like a demon in the booth, attacking the beat like DMX with the cockiness of 50 Cent, both in their prime. I want more.

Teejayx6 - The Swipe Lessons
    It's not just the incredibly unique subject matter, Teejayx6 is genuinely one of the funniest rappers I've ever heard. I find myself bursting out laughing every time I put this on. One of the most entertaining new acts on the scene.

DaBaby - Baby on Baby / KIRK
    What more is there to say? He's said it all himself already. Before the beat even dropped.

Benny the Butcher - The Plugs I Met
    Definitely in the upper tier of the Grisedla catalog. If not right at the top.

Sada Baby - Bartier Bounty / Whoop Tape
    Amazing new voice coming out of the D. Colorful and weird and hilarious with high energy. Exciting career ahead for sure.

2 Chainz - Rap or Go to the League
    I'll never get tired of saying this: ti--y boi has become a ti--y man. This picks up right where PGLTM left off.

Goldlink - At What Cost
    I typically don't enjoy the cheap attempts at 'Afro-pop' fusions that seems to have become really popular in the last few years (I still think More Life f---in sucks lol) but Goldlink has actually sucesfully pulled it off with this, undoubtedly his best project yet.

Plenty of other great albums but these are the ones that have stuck with me the most. Thoughts? Whats on your lists? What did I miss?

Mar 28, 2024
  2. icecube

icecube West Coast is the Best Coast

Oct 11, 2019
    Love these kinda posts from you @Sav Stanfield ! Opens my eyes to try stuff I wouldn't normally have tried.

My list is very different though. I'd love to get to 10 and write a bit about each but I just don't have the patience.

My number 1, by an absolute light year is easily Common - Let Love

Then my favourites after that are (in no order):
    B.o.B - Southmatic
    Ed Sheeran - No 6
    Freddie Gibbs & Madlib - Bandana
    Anderson .Paak - Ventura
    Erick Serman - Vernia
    Obie Trice - The Fifth
    Boogie - Everything's for Sale

Nothing else really stands out to me tbh.

Mar 28, 2024
  3. JXY

JXY

Oct 12, 2019
    @Sav Stanfield have you heard billy wood's 2 albums from this year? Top 3, at least Hiding Places.

Mar 28, 2024
  4. henzINNIT

henzINNIT Poster on the internet

Oct 12, 2019
    Eve is AOTY

Mar 28, 2024
  5. Sav Stanfield

Oct 12, 2019
    Billy Woods is great, I've always appreciated his music, i just find it so... dour. lol. Hiding Places is pretty much exactly that. I listened a few times and was completely absorbed, but have no real desire to revisit it. I should give it another chance tbf.

Ordinary Joel and JXY like this.
    Ordinary Joel and JXY like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  6. Sav Stanfield

Oct 12, 2019
    Amazing album. But Laila's Wisdom >>>

Ordinary Joel and Ricky like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  7. Sav Stanfield

Oct 12, 2019
    @icecube you should check out that French Montana x Max B tape I mentioned. I think it'll be right up your alley

Mar 28, 2024
  8. Xmipod

Oct 12, 2019
    @Sav Stanfield what did you think about Everythings for Sale?

Mar 28, 2024
  9. Sav Stanfield

Oct 12, 2019
    Was really good. Probably should be in my HMs just feels like it dropped ages ago and havent revisited it much since.

Ordinary Joel, Ricky and Xmipod like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Ricky and Xmipod like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  10. icecube

icecube West Coast is the Best Coast

Oct 12, 2019
    I really enjoyed one of the songs you posted the other day so it is def on my list. Thanks man!

Mar 28, 2024
  11. Step Daddy

Oct 12, 2019
    If youknowwhatimsaying? Is not your #1 I don't wanna know you.

Mar 28, 2024
  12. GCasper

Oct 12, 2019
    Great thread, but I can't believe some of the albums not mentioned.

No order:

1. K.R.IT.
    2. GHOSTFACE
    3. NF
    4. Posner
    5. Wayne
    6. MGK (Was way better than Bloom)
    7. WIZ & CURRENSY
    8. DAVE
    9. Yela
    10. KXNG CROOKED (WEEKLYS)
    11. MARLON CRAFT
    12. ROSS
    13. POUYA
    14. JID
    15. NAS

All solid albums imo.

Mar 28, 2024
  13. Sav Stanfield

Oct 13, 2019
    Its #1 for Q4 so far no doubt

Mar 28, 2024
  14. Sav Stanfield

Oct 13, 2019
    JID and Wayne dropped in 2018, no?

That Krit album just passed me by tbh. Listened once and that was it. Same goes for Nas, Dave, Wiz/Currensy and Ghostface. I liked the Ross album but it definitley doesnt crack top 20 for me.

Ordinary Joel and Zeugma like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  15. Zeugma

Zeugma thugger thugger my brother

Oct 13, 2019
    all year so far

1. uknowhatimsayin
    2. Bandana
    3. Cornballs
    4. Badazz 3.5
    5. Meet the Woo
    6. Zuu
    7. The Wizrd
    8. I'm Him
    9. 4REAL 4REAL
    10. h---'s Roof

hm: Bad Azz Zay, Ghostface Killahs, Mach's k--- Em All, IGOR, Serengeti's Dust EP (better than EUD imo), It Wasn't Even Close, Lost Tapes 2

mirrorland really sounded like the poor man's TPAB to me

Mar 28, 2024
  16. YoungShelby

YoungShelby K Dot

Oct 13, 2019
    PNL - Deux Frères
    Vald - Ce Monde est Cruel

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  17. DKC

DKC hank trill

Oct 13, 2019
    NF :fkcurry:

Mar 28, 2024
  18. Zeugma

Zeugma thugger thugger my brother

Oct 13, 2019
    :scust: Sérieusement? Je trouve les deux atroces.

Ordinary Joel and Sav Stanfield like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Sav Stanfield like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  19. Sav Stanfield

Oct 13, 2019
    Great list. Boosie's been killing this year.

Mar 28, 2024
  20. Step Daddy

Oct 13, 2019

Mar 28, 2024