Underrated Artists - Vince Staples

Started by 1999, Dec 23, 2019, in Music Add to Reading List

1. 1999

Dec 23, 2019
    Originally made this a few days ago but imma repost it on here to switch it up

This series will be highlighting artists that don't get the credit they deserve whether musicians, filmmakers etc.

Vince Staples seems to be known more for his interviews than his music. I think artistically his progression and albums needs more recognition given that he is one of the best rap artists this decade.

His debut mixtape was titled ''Shyne Coldchain Vol 1.'' Capitalizing off the current hype behind Odd Future the tape was met with lukewarm reception. The tape, although nothing great, showed potential.

His first substantial project was his collab album with Mac Miller (under the name Larry Fisherman) - Stolen Youth released June 20, 2013. The album came about when Vince met Mac through his Odd Future connection. Mac asked why Vince, who only had 1 tape and 1 EP out at the time, didn't rap more often. Vince explained he didn't have any beats. Mac came thru.

The tape was met with critical acclaim. After the release of this tape Vince, who originally didn't plan on being a rapper, decided to pursue a career in music.

Later that year he appeared 3 times on Earl Sweatshirts album Doris.

After touring with Mac Miller promoting Stolen Youth on March 13th, 2014 Vince released his second solo mixtape Shyne Coldchaine II. The mixtape was exec. produced by NO I.D. who had helped sign Vince to Def Jam.

Once again met with critical acclaim, this mixtape showed how far Vince had progressed in a short amount of time. Vince managed to make good music while also peaking at rap. This is arguably one of the best mixtapes this decade. Not a single miss on the project.

7 Months after the release of SC2, Vince dropped his 2nd EP 'h--- Can Wait' in October of 2014.

Sonically this album was very different than any of his previous projects. This is the first project where it wasn't just him rapping on beats. The production is much more advanced than SC2. Although only 7 tracks long, this EP has some of the best songs he's released to date.

On June 30th, 2015 Vince dropped his debut album Summertime 06.

Once again No I.D. and Vince worked together to deliver another great album. This album was met with widespread critical acclaim for the storytelling, lyricism and production. This was one of the best rap albums of the year, in one of the best years for rap ever. The album is just short of an hour, but isn't a drag to get through at 20 tracks. Every song has its place and purpose. Vince didn't shy away from rapping about his past and experiences, growing up where he did how he did. This album solidified Vince as one of the best rappers out right now. This album has not only some of his best songs, but some of the best rap songs this decade. Although the album was acclaimed it sold 13k album equivalent units.

Over a year after the release of S06, Vince released his most personal album to date, an EP under the name 'Prima Donna' accompanied with a short film.

The EP has a balance of hard pop oriented bangers encompassed by thoughts of depression and suicide. This album shows Vince's struggles with his fame and success, like many other artists have before. Although one of my least favorite projects of his, it is still a very good listen.
    To promote the album he went on Jimmy Fallon tonight, performing Smile he gave the best performance of his career, along with a verse not included on the album.

On June 23th, 2017 Vince dropped his 2nd LP - Big Fish Theory. Almost half the length of S06 Vince created an avant-garde, techno-influenced, rap album. Unlike his previous works this album very rarely focused on his past and more his current place in music, fame, and relationships.

This is his most critically acclaimed album to date. BFT made many year end lists from famed publications. This is by far his riskiest effort and although lyrically not his best, his lyricism is very precise. The album sold 24k AEU, making this his best selling album to date.

On November 2nd, 2018 Vince dropped his 3rd Mixtape titled ''FM!''. The concept revolved around a radio station- fitting given the albums sound. This album at 11 tracks is only 22 minutes long. Although this is his weakest project since his first mixtape, its still a fun little project.

His upcoming album 'The Vince Staples Show' has 2 singles out. The album is lining up to sound like a refined FM. Not necessarily sounding like anything else he has put out to date.

------------------------------------------------
    Vince has grown more than almost any rapper out recently. He's not a popular rapper by any means and has some of the worst selling acclaimed rap albums this decade, but he has a very versatile career and albums that are so unique I believe almost anybody can find something they like by him. Here are some of his best features throughout the years I could't work into the main post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlZZaXSeOjk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkxEKumTj08

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
    Jeans, Chrollo, Rodamon and 7 others like this.
    Jeans, Chrollo, Rodamon and 7 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  2. Sav Stanfield

Dec 24, 2019
    awesome thread @Tyler .

I remember first hearing Vince on Earl's 2010 mixtape on epaR, have still never heard Shyne Coldchain and Larry Fisherman though they're high up on my to-listen-to list. But everything from 2015 onwards has been in heavy rotation since, Summertime 06 is objectively one of the Albums OTD (and one of the greatest debut albums of all time), Big Fish might be my personal favorite work of his, FM still sounds fresh every time I revisit it. Legend in the making, doesn't get nearly the recognition he deserves

Apr 19, 2024
  3. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Dec 24, 2019
    Stop sleeping on SCCII Sav! Love that mixtape.

One of my favourite rappers of this decade, and it's criminal how underrated he is to the general public. But if you know, you know.

Still remember the old days where we had a whole army of alts that constantly hated on Vince (those same Besky alts s----d off Kendrick so hard)

Apr 19, 2024
  4. SHUDEYE

SHUDEYE Kerser is the sickest.

Dec 24, 2019
    Hahahahahaha besky f--- i forgot about him

Apr 19, 2024
  5. Sav Stanfield

Dec 24, 2019
    f--- it, i'm on it

RetiredAccount and Ordinary Joel like this.
    RetiredAccount and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  6. Lil Squeed

Lil Squeed French Montana Stan

Dec 24, 2019
    His Hive verse is ridiculous

Apr 19, 2024
  7. Lil Squeed

Dec 24, 2019
    need a lil durk thread like this

Apr 19, 2024
  8. Lil Squeed

Dec 24, 2019
    and NAV

Apr 19, 2024
  9. CSA

CSA Architect

Dec 24, 2019
    I'm not sure if he is underrated. He is just unpopular, people don't know about him. Anybody that knows him probably say he is dope...

RetiredAccount likes this.
    RetiredAccount likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  10. 1999

Feb 14, 2021
    thread still valid

Apr 19, 2024
  11. RetiredAccount

RetiredAccount Big Time Stuntin Like My Daddy

Feb 14, 2021
    hope to see you continue this series!

Apr 19, 2024