Best Posts: Have you ever had sleep paralysis? (Also tornados)

1. DKC

DKC hank trill

Apr 17, 2020
    So, living in the PNW for the first 28 years of my life, I'd experienced numerous earthquakes throughout the years and knew exactly what to do in an earthquake situation (which, if you don't know, is to duck and cover under a table or stand in a door frame if there's no table around. If you are outside, just get as far away from any buildings/structures as possible).

Anyway, a few nights ago, I woke up around 2:45 to an amber alert-style alarm going off on my phone telling me to duck and cover because a possible tornado was about to pass through my area. I'd never been in a tornado before so I had no idea what to do and sorta froze for a second—one of those rare moments in my life where I was legitimately like...holy s--- I could f---ing DIE in the next 15 min for all I know—and did a quick google/twitter search and confirmed that the storm was heading directly to my neighborhood.

I knew being away from windows was good so I threw a few valuables that were close at hand like my laptop in my closet just in case and went downstairs where my roommate was. Luckily she knew what to do since she'd lived here for awhile and you're supposed to stay inside away from windows and on the bottom floor—preferably in the basement or a room with no windows. So I grabbed my mattress pad and pushed it up against the wall as far away from the windows as possible and tried to sleep.

So I "woke up" about an hour or two later and was completely frozen in place with this overwhelming feeling of dread (you know like in those types of dreams where people are chasing you, but you can't move? sorta like that but it's in "real" life). Then I look up and see some mother f---er who looked like the BT shadow monsters from Death Stranding (with less tentacles) walking toward me:

[​IMG]

By the end I swear to god I could feel it on my chest like this as it got THIS close to me (my assumption was it was the cat walking over me, as all the pets were downstairs stressed out too):
    [​IMG]

Anyway when I finally "came to" and could move again, I immediately took a klonopin because I was having a panic attack from seeing a shadow demon summoned by a tornado and went back to sleep because f--- THAT s---. I'm hoping this won't become a common occurrence—I'm doubting it cuz I think it was just caused by stress.

Anyway, has anyone else had the fortune of having sleep paralysis before??? @LifeSXN

pluto✰, Swizz, Worm and 15 others like this.
    pluto✰, Swizz, Worm and 15 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  2. Ricky

Ricky Hip-Hop CEO ™

Apr 18, 2020
    I had a few in high school.

First one was the most terryfiyng. Skype sound on repeat, flashing lights all around me and feeling like somebody was trying pull me from my bed, like some alien abduction type of scene.

2nd was pretty scary too, there was a girl standing in the middle of my room just screaming. She had big black eyes.

I was legit afraid of sleep after the 1st one.

I blame my ex. We used to talkon Skype a lot.

Fire Squad, CJ Poe, DKC and 5 others like this.
    Fire Squad, CJ Poe, DKC and 5 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  3. lil uzi vert stan

Apr 17, 2020
    I’m sorry that happened to you. Roommate - cute?

Swizz, Mudkip, BIGFOOT and 5 others like this.
    Swizz, Mudkip, BIGFOOT and 5 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  4. Bojack

Apr 18, 2020
    Not yet thankfully but this s--- sounds disturbing af.

I've seen a documentary on netflix that scared the s--- out of me lol

CJ Poe, DKC, JEB and 4 others like this.
    CJ Poe, DKC, JEB and 4 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  5. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Apr 17, 2020
    I used to experience them a LOT when I was in my early 20s. The worst feeling in the world and just as you described it, you feel like your chest is caving in and the apparations you see f--- you up for the rest of your night's sleep.

I always chalked it up to being depressed or something. I haven't had them frequently since, just once every now and then.

Mar 28, 2024
  6. DKC

DKC hank trill

Apr 17, 2020
    Tornado was real—my neighborhood didn’t sustain any real damage but I think the death toll is at 20 so including surrounding areas. My thinking was just that the interrupted/f----- up/erratic sleep combined with a high stress situation with feelings of anxiety and dread from the tornado caused the sleep paralysis. You should read up on sleep paralysis if you never have, s--- is terrifying but super interesting.

@Spatula im so sorry you go through that so frequently man. I assume you get “used to it” to a certain extent but that doesn’t mean it isn’t s-----y :emoji_slight_frown:

Mar 28, 2024
  7. JEB

JEB

Apr 17, 2020
    sleep paralysis is terrifying. glad you all made it out okay

Mar 28, 2024
  8. Lucy

Lucy #1

Apr 17, 2020
    Yeah, happened to me once and watched the BT k--- my dad while I couldn't move and desperately tryna scream.

Most shook I have ever been in my life

Mar 28, 2024
  9. Spatula

Spatula Relapse is a masterpiece

Apr 17, 2020
    There was a period of time a year or two ago where I had them almost every night. The first time it happened I sensed a presence in the corner of the room, like a dark silhouette and a horrible sense of dread like "it's here, it's in the room" but I couldn't move.
    I didn't get a lot of visual ones, just a few dark presences and a demon-like creature that crept up to me once, but once it got closer it became less scary somehow.

More frequently I get audio hallucinations, like whispers right next to my ear while I'm about to fall asleep.

I am basically anticipating them every night now, s--- makes it hard to relax and calmly fall asleep, although it hasn't happened for some time. Now I know right before it's about to happen to start wiggling my toes and whatnot to immediately cut that s--- out.

Weird thing happens if I take a nap during the afternoon. In that case, I won't get them then, but later that night it's basically guaranteed, so I avoid taking naps.

Sleep paralysis is definitely the scariest s--- I went through and I am not superstitious. Makes me question my sanity. One time I felt someone lie next to me and breathe on my neck.

Good luck man.

Mar 28, 2024
  10. Swizz

Apr 30, 2020
    This has happened to me and it's truly horrifying. I think the peak of it for me was probably 4-5 years ago...I was experiencing it relatively frequently, maybe once every month or two. And the experience was always very similar: somebody is in my house, and eventually, in my room, and they're coming for me, but I have totally lost the ability to move. Usually I could see that my wife was there but I couldn't touch her or open my mouth to alert her. The visual element generally came in the form of a human intruder rather than the "demon" that so many people see, but it was usually shadowy, hard to see the person's face, etc.

What made it worst was that during that peak, no matter how many times I experienced it, I didn't remember that sleep paralysis was a thing while it was happening. So these events would reoccur but never get any easier or less intense because it always felt like it was happening for the first time. It wasn't until I was able to move again that it slowly dawned on me what had just happened. Eventually that changed and I'm not sure why. It happened to me maybe a year or two ago, and for the first time my brain came to the realization in the moment that this was sleep paralysis, it wasn't real, and I just needed to hang tight for a few minutes until it ended. It happened a second time after that - same thing. And then I haven't really had an issue with it since. It's like I outsmarted it, or something. I'm sure since I am saying that it will probably happen to me again v soon

But yeah I don't have any tips, I feel like I just got lucky. Hoping it never comes back!!

Ordinary Joel, Buddha, Worm and 3 others like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Buddha, Worm and 3 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  11. dna tits

dna tits buying benzos hmu

Apr 24, 2020
    One time I thought a monster was coming for me while I slept but it was just my dealer helping me up after I collapsed

Worm, M Solo, Fire Squad and 3 others like this.
    Worm, M Solo, Fire Squad and 3 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  12. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Apr 18, 2020
    d--- sorry to hear about this @Donkey Kong Cuntry , I remember you told me about the sudden tornado alert but I had no clue about the other aftermath it left behind.

I had some pretty bad nightmares in my younger days due to my battles with grief, but nothing on this sort of scale. We as Psychologists have a number of theories of why these episodes sort of manifest within our own little machinations, but it's mostly just speculation. Things that are commonly agreed to contribute why Sleep Paralysis happens is stress and a sudden change in sleep cycles during the REM phase.

It's important to understand, and this goes for anyone that undergoes this frightening experience, is that it's not real and everything WILL be fine after. That residue that sticks with you after the experience is frightening, but you have to rationalize why it happened (lack of sleep, pre-conditioned stress) and understand that it's an unfortunate natural occurrence. That small reassurance will allow your mind to process it, and it will slowly take care of the rest.

As always I'm here to talk about anything if y'all need it!

Mar 28, 2024
  13. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Apr 18, 2020
    Exactly, this is way scarier because its real. Well maybe not a real demon but the experience is. Movies hardly scare me anymore but stuff like this really does.

Ordinary Joel, DKC, CJ Poe and 3 others like this.
    Ordinary Joel, DKC, CJ Poe and 3 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  14. Bojack

Apr 18, 2020
    Υeah definitely not before bed. I did that mistake and it wasnt wise at all.
    Some of those stories really got into me.

CJ Poe, Ricky, DKC and 3 others like this.
    CJ Poe, Ricky, DKC and 3 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  15. CJ Poe

CJ Poe The Dark Vegan

Apr 18, 2020
    I used to go through it a lot, but not much anymore. One time I felt like I left my body and was floating around the room and then dove back into my body, and it wasn't a dream because I had people over and I saw those people asleep while I was "floating"

One instance I woke up and couldn't move and felt like I was being held down by 2 female shadow demons with pink eyes, I couldn't even blink, this was when I was a teenager, the s--- really f----- my head up after it ended, it's no joke. I'm sorry you experienced that s---.

It was worse when I was a child though, it all calmed down when I got older and embraced the strange.

Fire Squad, DKC, JEB and 3 others like this.
    Fire Squad, DKC, JEB and 3 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  16. OwI

OwI I was riding on a bike on a very late night

Apr 17, 2020
    interesting s---! so the tornado was real or? im a little confused

Mimi, Ricky, Michael Myers and 3 others like this.
    Mimi, Ricky, Michael Myers and 3 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  17. Tone Riggz

Tone Riggz There's No Cure For Being A C*nt

Apr 30, 2020
    Happened once a while ago while I was taking a nap on the couch. I remember my eyes were open but I couldn't move. I didn't see any demons or whatever the f--- people claim to see. I just couldn't move. I wanted to scream and move my arms but I couldn't. It was terrifying, I thought I was legitimately paralyzed (at the time I didn't know that sleep paralysis was a thing). Eventually I snapped out of it. The whole ordeal reminded me a bit of that Tales From The Crypt episode where the guy gets drugged as a prank and is believed to be dead even though he's just paralyzed.

Ordinary Joel, Buddha, Worm and 2 others like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Buddha, Worm and 2 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  18. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Apr 24, 2020
    Happened to me the last night of my freshman year of college in my dorm at WVU and it was after watching the mothman prophecies which is about WV. It was crazy. I woke up and could see everything but nothing would move and had the same shadowy figure and just like a feeling that kept getting more and more intense, it felt like 5 mins went by while this thing was brushing up against me kind of taunting me and then out of nowhere I could move, everything was clear and I got up. Kind of freaked me out. I googled it and found out what it was. Still happens like once a year randomly but it doesn't bother me in the least bit now that I know what it is. I kind of welcome it and don't let it bother me and it feels pretty cool. Only thing that sucks is if it's in the middle of the night it takes forever to go back to sleep. One correlation I did make is that it usually accompanies a s-----y hangover. The worst I had it was in Punta Cana after drinking heavy 5 nights in a row and taking a night off. Happened a few times that night.

Mar 28, 2024
  19. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Apr 18, 2020
    You know I was about to say if they ever make a movie about this and do it right it will blow all fake a--- monster & ghost movies out of the water.

Gonna watch this, thanks. Not before bed tho

Evad, DKC, Bojack and 2 others like this.
    Evad, DKC, Bojack and 2 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  20. Michael Myers

Michael Myers Moderator

Apr 18, 2020
    Sorry to hear that man (and the others itt).

I learned about it during Psychology. And despite me being a huge horror fan, googling that and seeing pictures/reading about it creeped me the f--- out for real. But yes it is also a very interesting topic!

As far as experience, I never had that feeling not being able to move etc but when I see some posts in this thread I do recognize some of it;
    I has been years since the last time it happened, but I sometimes dreamed (or at least thought I did) there was someone or something in the corner of my bedroom. So I 'woke up' and turned on the lights, obviously to see nothing. But it took me at least an hour before I turned off the lights, sometimes not at all and I just went to sleep w it on lol. And I also recognize hearing a voice talking to me and then waking up.

It only happened a few times and it was never that bad but when I see certain posts itt, it can definitely be some light version of it. I'm not really sure about the time line but in my early 20's some stuff did happen (nothing that serious tho) that might have caused some stress triggering it.

Also, the state the world is in rn I don't think its weird that a lot of people feel kinda s-----y. There has been done research here (and I guess everywhere) that, other than the disease itself, collateral damage -lonelyness, insecurity, sadness/depression, being scared- can harm people the same or even more. So take care everybody!

Fire Squad, DKC, JEB and 2 others like this.
    Fire Squad, DKC, JEB and 2 others like this.
    Mar 28, 2024