Polo G is the Leader of the New School

Started by Antman, May 28, 2020, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Antman

Antman No Cap

May 28, 2020
    Polo G is the Leader of the New School

The cold, harsh realities of struggling to survive in current-day Chicago while hustling to feed your family couldn’t be depicted with more potent imagery and lyricism from anyone other than Polo G.

Releasing his critically acclaimed debut, “Die Like A Legend” only last year; Polo G has released some of the most lyrically potent music in the last decade. Just from the title and artwork alone reminds you of the late Notorious B.I.G’s “Ready to Die” with the same intense implications - there is no plan b if this rap s--- doesn’t work. Every lyric written, every verse spit is delivered with a sense of desperation; with almost a prayer between the lines to deliver him the hope to continue to the next track. On “A King’s Nightmare” he raps:

“I'm the only one believe when everybody was hopeless

I done got so used to funerals, can't show no emotion

Man, this lifestyle crazy, swear this s--- get atrocious

Like one minute on that block, you just laughing and joking

Now your mans shot up on that ground, gasping and choking

In them streets deep, we was mobbin', went from innocent to goblins

Had to take, we started robbin', catchin' white folks while they joggin

Battle scars, we hate the rain, bullet wounds steady throbbin'”

From start to finish, Polo G’s debut became one of the most visual, and emotionally felt albums in 2019.

Many rap acts have emerged since last year in what almost feels like whirlwind. From Dababy, to Lil Tjay, to Megan the Stallion, to the late Pop Smoke - rap has become enriched with new faces, new talent, and seemingly limitless potential. With drill music taking over radio stations and virtually everybody’s playlists - a desire for more and more realism has become more prevalent. In entering Polo G’s music, two things are clear: the pain he feels is real and this is his story.

On May 15, 2020; the 21 year old managed to follow up his master class in storytelling and imagery with a continuation of the same more or less, but with radiant confidence in, “THE GOAT”. Since the success of “Die Like a Legend”, Polo G has been enjoying the spoils of stardom. No longer having to hustle so his family could eat, he’s booking shows and dominating guest verses all while reminding himself where he came from. Most artists take a step back and try to maintain the success they gain with their debuts, but Polo G wants to reach the next level. With his sophomore release, the Chi-Town rapper not only deepens the immersion of his lyrics - he’s upped the technical skill of his bars. On the Mike-Will produced, “Go Stupid”, Polo G blacks out and shows his peers in the current generation that he’s more than apart of the competition - he is the competition. He ferociously spits:

Come outside, he be poppin' s---

You ain't heard about us, well you need to go watch the news

n----s know we be dropping s---

Got the feds on my a--- in the hood

'Cause they think I'm the one

Who been buyin' them Glocks and s---

I'm just focusin' on music

They say my last tape was a classic, but I got some hotter s---

In his music, Polo G prides himself over how real he is in a world where the fakes prevail. His family, whether it’s at home or I’m the streets is number one to him. If his debut was him telling his stories and cementing himself as the best storyteller this generation - then his sophomore is telling the world he can and will rap better than you.

https://thecorner973565351.wordpress.com/2020/05/28/polo-g-is-the-leader-of-the-new-school/

Mar 28, 2024
  2. AvB

AvB

May 28, 2020
    The Goat one of the best releases this year

Ordinary Joel and Antman like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Antman like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  3. Antman

Antman No Cap

May 28, 2020
    Most definitely is!