[COMPILATION] Black Star - Black Star Keeps Shinin' (B-Roll)

Started by Ordinary Joel, Jul 1, 2020, in Music Add to Reading List

1. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Jul 1, 2020
    [​IMG]
    Photo from Vibe Magazine April 1998, used as compilation cover art
    Sup everyone! So for some reason today, of all days, I had this random and sudden desire to track down all known Black Star songs and compile them into project for everyone to enjoy. Black Star consists of Yasiin Bey (fka Mos Def) and Talib Kweli, and are one of the most lauded and acclaimed rap duos during their peak in hip-hop circa mid-to-late 90s and early 2000's.

Rising from the underground via Rawkus Records, their socially conscious songs tinged with golden era sensibilities and thought-provoking rhymes came during a transitional phase in hip-hop. It felt like a breath of fresh air and for a time there, they were able to penetrate the mainstream and leave a lasting footprint from that era that was experiencing the residual effects of gangsa/mafioso rap permeating the genre, as well as the violence that ensued from it.

Their one and only album, "Mos Def and Talib Kweli are Black Star" is a bonafide classic that has resonated with lovers of the genre for over two decades and counting. Producer Hi-Tek helmed the project and provided a timeless foundation for the two star rappers. Much praise is given to the two on the mic, but the man behind the boards was just as integral during that time where all three were able to capture lightning in a bottle and lay down a solid foundation for their burgeoning careers to flourish to varying levels of success.

Since then, there has been officially 24 released songs involving the duo, either in an official capacity (like the track "Little Brother" prod. by J Dilla for the Motion Picture: The Hurricane), or as separate emcee's (such as "High Drama Pt. 3: In Search of 2" Ft. Consequence by Mike Zoot). For the purpose of this compilation I grouped together all instances of when both jumped on the track and and when both were credited under "Black Star". From obscure songs, known songs, unknown features and quiet singles, their "b-roll" consists of great material that need to be heard from any and every fan of Black Star.

Most would be aware of their legacy and though their star may have faded due to inactivity, as well as different career trajectories since those wonderful halcyon days with just that one classic album, the thirst and hunger for more is still felt by fans to this day. For this reason, I figured a callback to the ending refrain on "Hater Players" from their debut album would feel fitting title for this compilation. Since their moment in the sun, Talib went on to have a successful music career alongside Hi-Tek as Reflection Eternal and a significant solo career, and is now venturing into the podcast world with "The People's Party", while Yasiin has had an eclectic and fascinating music career with many peaks and valleys, as well as showcasing his multi-faceted talents in the way of acting and hosting poetry slams. But enough of the warm welcome, I'm here to deliver the goods and share a project that's the one-stop shop for all Black Star loosies! I'm also hoping this may be a good project to tide us over until the ever-elusive Black Star sophomore album entirely produced by Madlib finally drops.

The tracklist is in chronoligical order, includes the project name that it's originally from, and has all the music metadata tags sorted. If I've missed any tracks please feel free to mention them in this thread and I'll update accordingly!​

Tracklist for Black Star - Black Star Keeps Shinin' (B-Roll)
    [​IMG]

Can't remember what the policy is on posting links, but just to be safe, feel free to mention me or like this post if you'd like the link!

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    Ricky, icecube and Zeugma like this.
    Ricky, icecube and Zeugma like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  2. Zeugma

Zeugma thugger thugger my brother

Jul 1, 2020
    this is great Joel! please pm me a link!

Ricky and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  3. icecube

icecube West Coast is the Best Coast

Jul 1, 2020
    Gimme gimme gimme! This is amazing!

Mar 28, 2024
  4. Ricky

Ricky Hip-Hop CEO ™

Jul 1, 2020
    My heart almost stopped, I've thought it's finally Black Star 2 time, but then I saw 'compilation', dayum.

It's still great tho! I need that link Mr. Joel!

:emoji_heart:

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  5. Ordinary Joel

Ordinary Joel Found a new way to flow

Jul 1, 2020
    If only... :mjcry:

Hopefully this is a good consolation until that mythical album finally drops

Ricky likes this.
    Ricky likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024