NBA NBA Discussion Thread

Started by Mike Tyson, Nov 24, 2014, in Sports Add to Reading List

1. Boos

Boos Nova Nation

Jul 3, 2018
    As long as Lebron never sniffs another ring idc at this point.

Apr 26, 2024
  2. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Jul 3, 2018
    Bulls should've been in on this guy bro, we have a bunch of cap space this year and going forward. Could've offered like 3 years with the last being a team or player option.

Apr 26, 2024
  3. Jakey

Jakey You Reckon

Jul 3, 2018
    To be fair any team could afford to have him if they're only paying 5 mil for him. The whole thing is ridiculous, I just dont know how he got 0 offers from other teams. Weren't the Lakers interested?

Kon likes this.
    Kon likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  4. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jul 3, 2018
    boogie could win 6 in a row none of em will count lol, as far as im concerned nobody on the warriors has earned a chip, hold them in the same regard that i do the chips that bill russell and george mikan got before the nba eradicated plumbers and accountants from the league

Apr 26, 2024
  5. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jul 3, 2018
    philly fans everywhere turning on bron like he owed them something got me howling

redsoxx, Enigma, Big Mitch and 5 others like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  6. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Jul 3, 2018
    It was the 2nd day of free agency I'm sure if he waited and talked with teams somebody would've created an opening for him on at least a 2 yr deal with an option. It's hard to blame him, he was probably a bit too impatient, but the only teams with over $10 million in practical cap space were

Bulls - $40
    Sixers - $31
    Hawks - $22
    Kings - $18
    Clippers - $11
    Lakers - $10

Enigma and Jakey like this.
    Enigma and Jakey like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  7. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Jul 3, 2018
    there were tons of reports saying otherwise lol, people were calling boston runner ups, this story is bs lol the media just pushing that narrative

Apr 26, 2024
  8. Jakey

Jakey You Reckon

Jul 3, 2018
    Yeah hard to believe that he had to sign with GSW. All of those teams except for the Kings and probably Sixers should've definitely gone for him.

Poohdini likes this.
    Poohdini likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  9. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Jul 3, 2018
    Apparently by the time Boston tried reaching out to him he'd already signed with GS

Apr 26, 2024
  10. Big Mitch

Big Mitch You never made me ran once

Jul 3, 2018
    Poor Timberwolves lol... jimmy buckets wants out

Poohdini likes this.
    Poohdini likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  11. Enigma

Enigma Civil liberties > Police safety

Jul 3, 2018
    f--- this.

Apr 26, 2024
  12. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Jul 3, 2018
    Also on the NBAPA as well

The Golden State Warriors are what they are today largely because of a decision made by the National Basketball Players Association more than three years ago. After the NBA signed a nine-year, $24 billion broadcast-rights deal with ESPN and Turner Sports, the league proposed a “smoothing” of the salary cap to the NBPA, which would’ve made the cap rise by smaller figures each summer rather than one giant leap from 2015 to 2016. The NBA’s hope was to make planning simpler for teams, maintain competitive balance, and allow more than just 2016 free agents to benefit from the influx of TV money. The players union, led by newly hired executive director Michele Roberts, was opposed to the idea. The NBPA felt that players would see more financial benefit by letting the salary cap explode. Roberts told SB Nation’s Paul Flannery earlier this year that the NBA’s smoothing proposal was a “disgraceful request.” Team reps voted in 2015 to unanimously reject smoothing. Then the salary cap spiked from $70 million in 2015-16 to $94.1 million in 2016-17, which allowed the Warriors to sign Kevin Durant while giving up only Andrew Bogut and their rights to Harrison Barnes. The ramifications of the decision linger today; in fact, it’s what helped allow the Warriors to lock in DeMarcus Cousins on Monday night.
    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2018/7/3/17530252/warriors-demarcus-cousins-salary-cap

Apr 26, 2024
  13. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Jul 3, 2018
    He's coming home next summer and bringing Kyrie with him, book it.

Jimmy Butler and Kyrie Irving could have plans to try and take over the East
    [​IMG]

The one-man nemesis for the Bulls has now left the Eastern Conference.

Bulls-slayer LeBron James is now a Laker, taking his talents to Hollywood.

But the idea that the Eastern Conference is somehow there for the taking, especially as far as the Bulls are concerned?

Laughable.

But the idea that the Eastern Conference is somehow there for the taking, especially as far as the Bulls are concerned?

Laughable.

This is Boston’s dance, and the rest of the conference is just spectating.

A league source close to the situation told the Sun-Times on Tuesday that Kyrie Irving and former Bulls All-Star Jimmy Butler are still trying to figure out a way to play together. Whether that means the Celtics try and acquire Butler this summer or the two simply wait a year, both opt out of their player options after the season, and join forces that way.

Either way, the two former Team USA Basketball teammates are looking for a destination to build an elite backcourt, whether that’s in Celtics green or elsewhere in the East.

Not that this hasn’t been lurking for quite some time, either.

Last June, the Sun-Times was the first to report that Irving was looking to get out of Cleveland, with the Bulls being on his wish list. He made that known to several of his former Team USA teammates, including Butler.

ESPN then piggy-backed on the story a month later, when the Cavs front office was finally let in on Irving’s intentions.

A source said that Butler let general manager Gar Forman and VP of basketball John Paxson know that Irving wanted out, but the two knew they didn’t have the assets to get him, even if they tried to get a third team involved.

Instead, they did a 180 with Butler, blowing up the roster and sending him to the Timberwolves.

So where is the situation now?

Still fluid.

Irving has already said he won’t be signing a contract extension this summer. As for Butler, a league source said that he also has no intentions of signing an extension with Minnesota, all but fed up with the nonchalant attitude of his younger teammates, specifically Karl-Anthony Towns.

“I just don’t think there have been many people that have understood how important winning is to me, man,’’ Butler told the Sun-Times in late April. “I just had a conversation about that very thing with somebody – not important who – but I put so much into this game and I only play to win. I don’t play for any individual stats or accolades, any of that. And at times I get lost in how everybody is not built the way that I’m built.

“The same with [Minnesota coach] Thibs [Tom Thibodeau]. People don’t understand that he puts so much time into his craft. He understands what it takes. But sometimes I just look around and I don’t understand how or why you all don’t love to get better the way that I do.’’

Can Butler still change his mind?

Absolutely. Especially if Minnesota were to do the almost improbable and move Towns – a move ownership is highly against.

The other scenario would be if Towns somehow showed Butler that he is that foxhole player rather than being “Amish-like’’ as the big man described of himself during the first-round playoff loss to Houston. Again, doubtful.

What also hasn’t helped the situation is Butler feeling like he’s being recruited harder by other teams rather than his own ownership.

Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor didn’t help things in April, telling a local Minneapolis radio show that Butler would be a key in recruiting players this summer. That led to Butler’s agent, Bernie Lee, firing back, “That’s not Jimmy’s role.’’

Obviously, Thibodeau and Butler have a strong relationship, but there is only so much Thibodeau can do in the situation.

As far as the role the Bulls play in all of this and the reshaping of the East? Very little. It will remain heads down for Gar/Pax, rebuild forward.
    https://chicago.suntimes.com/sports...uld-have-plans-to-try-and-take-over-the-east/

Apr 26, 2024
  14. Enigma

Enigma Civil liberties > Police safety

Jul 3, 2018
    f--- this too. It’s going to be years before this is properly addressed too....

Apr 26, 2024
  15. Poohdini

Poohdini MVP MVP

Jul 3, 2018
    Most of the deals signed then should be off by next summer but the damage is done by KD getting to GS

Enigma likes this.
    Enigma likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  16. Trackz

Trackz BARCODE

Jul 3, 2018

Lol

Apr 26, 2024
  17. Kon

Kon

Jul 3, 2018
    ^Lakers might as well end the discussions for good at this point, even half of that deal would be borderline too much.

Spurs too smart to get screwed over, so yea it’s not gonna work out. Wait till the spurs get desperate then try again, or else wait till the offseason.

Trackz and Enigma like this.
    Trackz and Enigma like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  18. Jakey

Jakey You Reckon

Jul 3, 2018
    Wilson Chandler > LeBron James :mjcry:

Apr 26, 2024
  19. Trackz

Trackz BARCODE

Jul 4, 2018

Apr 26, 2024
  20. redsoxx

redsoxx "What's my favorite ring? The next one."-TB12

Jul 4, 2018
    lol I remember you wanting Brown, (what ended up) Tatum & the Kings pick for 2 years of Butler. Rozier might have been in there too. And then ppl mocking Ainge for not doing that or the Paul George deal.

Back in the good ole days of 2 years ago when he was a bad drafter and the only reason he was still around was because of the Nets own mistake.

Butler can join the squad if he wants next year, on the Cousins deal tho.

Apr 26, 2024
Live Thread