Any poetry fans?

Started by The Moon Man, Jul 29, 2020, in Creative Add to Reading List

1. The Moon Man

The Moon Man Out of my mind

Jul 29, 2020
    I don't know what reception this will get but I was wondering if there were any poetry fans here. I'm a huge fan of slam poetry and I perform it myself. I love a lot of the classics too like Whitman and Elliot but these days I'm mostly into people like Neil Hilborn. Guante is a poet but also a rapper, here's one his:

Any of you into poetry?

Ordinary Joel and MichaelsMad like this.
    Ordinary Joel and MichaelsMad like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  2. MichaelsMad

Jul 29, 2020
    I wouldnt say im into it like i can name people off, but when i see videos posted on FB or instagram i watch and try to go to their youtube pages and watch. One thing ive always loved about hip hop was the technicality, the rhyme patterns, the competetive aspect, syllable play, the wordplay, and the fact that its structured for you to be able to say more than any other genre of music bc its not restricted to melody. But everytime i watch some of these men and women do spoken word or slam poetry, i usually get impressed with the writing and delivery. B/c they have a freedom to create metaphors, and tone that you cant always get in hip hop bc this medium isnt restricted to any music at all. Its like monologues in theatre or movies. Theyre able to create tension, build up these environments and worlds with their tone and delivery, and then defuse it, or redirect it. Im always down to tune into anything with great writing.

Ordinary Joel and The Moon Man like this.
    Ordinary Joel and The Moon Man like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  3. The Moon Man

The Moon Man Out of my mind

Jul 30, 2020
    I totally agree with this. I'm drawn to both mediums for the same reason.

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  4. Lil Squeed

Lil Squeed French Montana Stan

Jul 30, 2020
    I've read Tupac's The Rose that Grew From Concrete so yes I consider myself cultured

Apr 19, 2024