Anybody here ever dealt with Rotator Cuff issues?

Started by M Solo, Sep 14, 2020, in Life Add to Reading List

1. M Solo

M Solo Fresh Outta London

Sep 14, 2020
    Shoulder impingement, tendonitis, tears? Let me know and thanks in advance!

Mar 28, 2024
  2. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Sep 14, 2020
    Had some tendonitis early last year when I was frequently at the gym, where certain movements just caused immediate discomfort. It lasted for a couple of weeks, went away and hasn't returned since. It was annoying but luckily it didn't turn into a tear or require medication at all.

What I was recommended to do were some light strengthening exercises/stretches to keep the tendons loose & flexible. If I recall you are a fitness guru so this should be ideal for you, obviously just follow the basic methodology of exercise and give yourself adequate rest. Hope all is well though!

Mar 28, 2024
  3. M Solo

Sep 14, 2020

Appreciate the response bro. So essentially I battled a really bad case of impingement/tendonitis in 2016. A cortisone injection and some obsessive rehab and I was back to normal in 6 months.

Fast forward to last month and I get my chest imaged via an MRI and they called me and said I had a chronic, full thickness rotator cuff tear and can only be fixed by surgery. I should have limited range of motion and be in a ton of pain but I feel nothing and range of motion is perfect.( I benched 225 20x last week) All the literature I've read says that's impossible.

Anyhow, I was somebody here has had had a full/partial thickness tear so I could pick their brain.

Mar 28, 2024
  4. Sign Language

Sign Language We miss you Screw

Sep 15, 2020
    I’ve been walking around with overstretched ligaments (basically they have lost their elasticity and can’t keep my shoulder joint capsule in stable) in my left shoulder for about a year now. Also had surgery on my right one for the same issue but it didn’t take. Impingement has been a side effect of both at various points in time. I pretty much have full range of motion in both but there’s a lot of popping and discomfort, but not painful per-say. So I know what you mean.

As for your thickness tear and literature saying that your lack of pain/full RoM isn’t possible, it may not be JUST a rotator cuff issue. Could be other ligaments that are having issues also. Surrounding shoulder muscles/ligaments could be not working 100%, thus causing your rotator cuff to have to pick up the slack and cause issues with it. The full scope of some shoulder injuries won’t fully show up on an mri either, per the multiple orthopedic surgeons I’ve spoken with about my own shoulder issues. Was your mri done with or without contrast? They may need a to do some additional exploration with the arthroscope when they are repairing your rotator cuff.

Sorry for the essay lol but hope this helps in some way.

Mar 28, 2024
  5. CJ Poe

CJ Poe The Dark Vegan

Sep 15, 2020
    Yep, I've been lifting for almost 20 years or so and my right shoulder always hurts and "clicks" feels like it tears when I move it around

It's been doing this for almost 10 years or so

M Solo and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  6. M Solo

Sep 15, 2020

Thank you for the response and sorry I wasn't more clear. My rotator cuff is torn from the bone but there are NO symptoms. Range of motion is great and I should barely be able to move it. Strength is tremendous and it should be extremely weak. Lastly it everything I do should be excruciating but I have zero pain. It's completely asymptomatic. I am definitely not having surgery to fix something that is causing me literally zero issues, you know?

From what I've read I think my other muscles might me so strong that they are compensating for a major injury and in a sense working like a suspension bridge of if that makes sense. But yeah definitely appreciate your insight brother.

Ordinary Joel and Sign Language like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  7. icecube

icecube West Coast is the Best Coast

Sep 15, 2020
    Have you asked for a second opinion? I'm wondering wether the hospital has got patient files mixed up or something like that. The seriousness of the injury Vs the lack.of any kind of symptom just doesn't add up.

Mar 28, 2024
  8. Neppert

Sep 15, 2020
    It is possible though, I had almost no symptoms, but MRI showed a slap lesion. Even the orthopedist wasn't expecting it, based on my symptoms. :idk:

I do realize that a slap lesion is not really a rotator cuff injury...

Mar 28, 2024
  9. M Solo

Sep 15, 2020
    Yeah it was for sure mine. It was injured pretty badly in 2016 where they are saying the tear is.

I guess I'll just leave it with the fact that maybe not everything that HAS to be surgically fixed... actually HAS to be surgically fixed. In the meantime I'm going to roll with it until the wheels come off.

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  10. Neppert

Sep 16, 2020
    I had it fixed. Twice actually (same injury on both shoulders).
    With the physical demands of my job and the active lifestyle I live, I would've risked messing up my shoulder worse.
    It's a long road to recovery (6 months), but looking back at it, it was worth it.

Mar 28, 2024
  11. M Solo

Jul 31, 2021

You still around? Currently contemplating labrum surgery and have some questions. Thank you!

Sign Language and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Sign Language and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  12. Neppert

Aug 1, 2021
    Yeah I'm still around. fire away!

Mar 28, 2024
  13. M Solo

Aug 1, 2021

How are your shoulders now? 100%? Do you currently have any restrictions at all? Lastly when were you cleared 100% for lifting weights and exercise? Thank you!

Mar 28, 2024
  14. Neppert

Aug 2, 2021
    Well my shoulders are a little tighter now, but that's fine since they were a little 'loose' to begin with. I can easily go to 180° overhead so that's functional enough. If I'd had to put a percentage on it it'll be about 97% of what it was.
    I do not have any restrictions at all, I'm able to do everything I did before.
    The recovery process is long and slow, but it's important not to rush. It took me about 5-6 months before I was able to freely lift weights again, not counting the exercises that were part of my recovery (I.e. I started with light DB presses and other BW or DB exercises after about 4 months to fix my ROM, get used to weight training again, etc)

Ordinary Joel and M Solo like this.
    Ordinary Joel and M Solo like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  15. M Solo

Aug 2, 2021

Appreciate it big time man. That makes me confident. Thank you!

Neppert and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Neppert and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  16. Slyk

Slyk God made a prophet.

Aug 2, 2021
    tore my acl 2 years ago. have had 2 surgeries (1 reconstructive, 1 scope to remove some scar tissue). ongoing issues w/ a dx of tendinosis...the patellar tendon that was harvested for the acl didn't heal together as it should have and i'm SOL at this point.

Mar 28, 2024
  17. Neppert

Aug 3, 2021
    No prob :)
    Good luck with your decision and if you decide to do the surgery, have a strong and speedy recovery :emoji_call_me:

Mar 28, 2024