Best Posts: Google Pixel 5

1. icecube

icecube West Coast is the Best Coast

Oct 14, 2020
    Just got the notification that my Pixel has been shipped. Tomorrow is the day!

Haven't been this excited for a new phone for years!

Mar 29, 2024
  2. Galaxy

Galaxy When I'm fxcked up, that's the real me

Dec 7, 2020
    yeah, the camera on the Pixel is actually quite a bit better than the Note's from what I can tell, at least on last year's models. But at least you had an ultrawide camera (Pixel 4 does not which was dumb, finally they put it on the 5)

Mar 29, 2024
  3. icecube

Oct 23, 2020
    I don't really know how to explain it tbh. It's like I've had the phone for years. It's already "meh", but not in a bad way. I liked the fact that it had focused on what it was good at and left all the gimmicky stuff behind but I guess part of the thrill of a new phone is messing around with the gimmicky stuff.

Performance wise it's everything you'd expect from a new phone. It's smooth and quick. It has frozen/lagged once. Just a one off though, I wasn't doing anything strenuous with it. I honestly can't tell the difference between a 60hz and a 90hz screen though. I've got used to the size, going from a Note to this was always going to be weird but I like it. I pick up my Note every now and again and it feels uncomfortably big now.

Camera I haven't really had too much time to mess with. Taken a few snaps and got what I expected. The ultra wide camera is good. Night pics are probably the best. It's stabilising software is meant to be great but I haven't tried it out properly yet.

My favourite part of Android 11 though is how they've integrated Google Home into the power button. When you hold the power button now you get the standard options of Power Off, Restart etc but also any smart devices you have linked to Home and can control them directly from there.

Overall I'd give it a solid 7-7.5/10. It's great if you want a well made, safe phone. If you want something fancy to show off and talk about then this probably isn't it. But then neither is any phone at this price point I guess.

Worm, Mraczewsky and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Worm, Mraczewsky and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  4. icecube

Sep 30, 2020
    I've just always found that Samsung phones don't stand the test of time. They are 12/10 phones for 6 months and then drop down to 6/10 after that. I've currently been using the Galaxy Note 9 for nearly 2 years now. The 2 Pixels I had remained 10/10 phones for as long as I had them. They f----- up huge with P3 and P4 but this looks like a return to form, albeit somewhat safe. But they need to do that. If this is a success I'm sure we'll see some more innovation for P6 and P7.

I'm currently 100% convinced on this and will report back when I've had some real life experience with it.

Ordinary Joel, Guma and Worm like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Guma and Worm like this.
    Mar 29, 2024
  5. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Sep 30, 2020
    Don't like the price for the specs. You get much more with the upcoming S20 FE. I switched from Pixel 3 to Note 10 + last year which has a much better battery life and specs. Only thing I don't really like is the camera and no more vanilla android experience that you get with the Pixel. I've been underwhelmed the last 2 years and depending on what the iPhone 12 looks like, may make the jump to apple but I don't want to. I'll wait to see actual reviews on this but I wouldn't preorder it yet

Galaxy, Ordinary Joel and icecube like this.
    Galaxy, Ordinary Joel and icecube like this.
    Mar 29, 2024