Best Posts: I need to lose 20 pounds

1. JFK

JFK Bleach on my t-shirt

Jan 2, 2015
    That's exactly how it works

Apr 19, 2024
  2. FLORIDA MAN

Jan 2, 2015
    Sounds gay but the app called my fitness pal is very f---ing handy.

Counting calories really is the easiest way to lose or gain weight. It takes all the guess work out of it. You can lose 2 lbs a week but you're more likely to lose more muscle.

Start off by finding one of those metabolic calculators on the internet. It will give you a rough estimate of how many calories you should eat to maintain your current weight. Then subtract 500 from that to lose a lb a week. You may have to do a little tweaking on those numbers depending how active you are. As far as nutrition, if you want to keep as much muscle as possible, eat 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of body weight and lift heavy. The carbs and fats are really up to you. Cutting carbs will show fast results but will leave you feeling like s--- because that's where the majority of your energy is coming from. I cycle my carbs and it has been really easy for me. Eat good slow burning carbs like oatmeal and s---, not empty carbs

There's a f---ing LOT more to it but that's a good place to start. Check out that app, it makes it really easy. People may disagree with some of this but it has worked for me.

Apr 19, 2024
  3. M Solo

M Solo Fresh Outta London

Jan 6, 2015

I love you bro but a lot of this info is flat out false. Admittedly, I believed almost everything you said a decade ago but so much evidence has come out and debunked a lot of this.

Meal frequency has absolutely zero effect on one's metabolism. Lifting light weights while cutting will not "tone" you it will make you weak. It's incredibly advantageous to lift moderate to heavy reps while cutting. An optimal weight and rep range would be a set where you really, really struggle to get 8 reps.

Lastly, a carb is a carb. There are no "good carbs" and there are no "bad carbs". I know guys who are at like 4% body fat and their main carb source is pop tarts. The mistake people make is ignoring their fiber intake.

If you get the opportunity watch this video. This guy is probably the lead authority in the fitness industry when it comes to nutrition. That's what he's got his PHD in.

Different guy but also very informative.

Worm, Ordinary Joel, Webber and 3 others like this.
    Worm, Ordinary Joel, Webber and 3 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  4. JMG

JMG Teflon

Sep 30, 2022
    Yes this is the secret. And honestly i need to lose the weight so I can fit more of the boys in here.

DKC, Ordinary Joel, Lucy and 2 others like this.
    DKC, Ordinary Joel, Lucy and 2 others like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  5. FLORIDA MAN

Jan 6, 2015
    No skinny p-----s are still skinny p-----s. Hit the weights

Apr 19, 2024
  6. JMG

JMG Teflon

Jan 2, 2015
    This has nothing to do with new years. Since my gf has been pregnant im gaining weight with her. She has been baking cake and cookies ect every night and I couldnt resist. Next thing I know none of my clothes fit any more.I was 150 now im 173. Im not happy with my figure and I wanna slim my waist and hips before summer. I started eating better but counting calories is confusing. I got an exercise bike I use while working. My job requires me to be home all day. I keep reading you can lose a pound a week. I wanna lose 2 pounds a week though. How much should I use my bike a day? Right now im eating oatmeal, salads and not sure what else im allowed to eat. What is the quickest way to lose 20 pounds without killing myself?

@M Solo?

Apr 19, 2024
  7. JMG

JMG Teflon

Sep 30, 2022
    Thanks for all the tips everyone. Since making this thread I lost 5 pounds so I'm getting there!

Ordinary Joel, Trackz and Evad like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Trackz and Evad like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  8. TheBorgerShop

TheBorgerShop Baconator

Jul 28, 2022
    this is somewhat true but somewhat false as most things are, and the science behind this is very conflicting depending on the source

The concept comes from the idea that metabolism slows during sleep and your transition into sleep, so eating and not having the fastest metabolism means more calories/weight/fat gained. Additionally, eating before bed may affect sleep quality. However, there is no need to set it to something like "only after 8 PM" especially if you go to sleep much later. Just aim for 2-3 hours before bed.

However, some criticisms of those types of studies conclude that it's not the fact that metabolism slows down, it's the fact that eating before bed is usually an additional meal. So not only are you having three square meals a day, with some snacks in between, but you're gaining an additional 100-200 (and maybe more) calories per night by eating before bed.

Ask your doctor ofc. Me personally, I just listen to my body.

Apr 19, 2024
  9. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Jul 23, 2022
    Nah it's true. I ate at 8:03 one time and looked like this the next day
    :virgin:

Evad, Ordinary Joel and Step Daddy like this.
    Evad, Ordinary Joel and Step Daddy like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  10. Lucy

Lucy #1

Jul 22, 2022
    Also this is like a really deep jmg post btw everyone. He said he needed to lose 20 pounds in what 2015? Fast forward to now and he's the hot tub king. From memory a very large percentage of fat cells leave the body via sweat, something the hot tub can provide

JMG, Ordinary Joel and Worm like this.
    JMG, Ordinary Joel and Worm like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  11. M Solo

M Solo Fresh Outta London

Jan 7, 2015

Learning a lot of the things I've learned in just the past few years was similar to finding out Santa Clause wasn't real. I used to do everything you do and finding out there were other ways/methods that went against everything I believed really blew my mind. But I think it's a good think to always be evolving. I personally like the traditional way of doing things and would never incorporate junk into my diet regardless of how great the results could be. I think eating "clean" is much easier than going the IIFYM route. If I don't have junk in my diet I don't think about it where as if I'm trying to incorporate it into it I have a tendency to binge on those kind of foods. At the end of the day it all comes down to the individual and personal preference.

Here's another really good article backing up claims that food sources have zero impact on body composition.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

Ordinary Joel, Fitz and Meero like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Fitz and Meero like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  12. Oldboy

Oldboy Administrator

Jan 6, 2015
    One of these guys is m solo... No joke

Ordinary Joel, M Solo and Meero like this.
    Ordinary Joel, M Solo and Meero like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  13. The Mack

Jan 6, 2015
    Dude is right, turn the weight you gained to muscle. Avoid too much carbs (don't eat more than 25g of carbs a day) & also avoid sugar at all costs (fruits are acceptable). Watch out for saturated fats (worst type of fat there is, mono & poly are fine). Eat tons of proteins (avoid soy protein), lift strong along with some cardio, you'll have a awesome body.

Here's a list I made & follow:
    Eggs (egg whites are better) [protein]
    Grilled/Roasted Chicken (don't eat fried, at all) [protein]
    Sea-food (tuna, salmon, lobster, crab, etc) [protein]
    Salad (especially cesar salad) [healthy fats]
    Rice (not too much) [good source of carbs]
    Potatoes (not fried) [good source of carbs]
    Beef [protein]
    Turkey [protein]
    Steak [protein] (More for people that are looking to gain mass since it has more fat than beef & chicken do]
    Beans [protein]
    Fruits & Vegetables [look at the chart below for details]
    Greek yogurt [good source of protein]
    Almonds [protein & healthy fats]
    Quest bars [real good protein bars]
    Drink A LOT of water [quit juice & soda]
    Don't eat/drink:
    Bread (a little is ok sometimes)
    Ice cream
    Soda
    Juice
    Chocolate (dark chocolate is ok once in a while)
    Candy
    Chips
    Junk

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
    Ordinary Joel, tomroe93 and Fitz like this.
    Ordinary Joel, tomroe93 and Fitz like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  14. CJ Poe

CJ Poe The Dark Vegan

Jan 2, 2015
    Keep the weight bro.. and turn it into muscle.

Trackz, Ordinary Joel and The Mack like this.
    Trackz, Ordinary Joel and The Mack like this.
    Apr 19, 2024