Best Posts: How long will Brooklyn drill music hold up?

1. Antman

Antman No Cap

Oct 26, 2020
    I think the UK inspired drill sound that we are sporting here is gonna phase out. What I do think is going to evolve Brooklyn drill is the sound Sheff G, Sleepy Hallow and the rest of Winners Circle. They’re using hard-hitting sampling and melodies to really change the overall sound here. So yeah I think Brooklyn Drill is going to be a long-lasting thing, but through innovation like with the Winners Circle label.

Apr 19, 2024
  2. Chrollo

Chrollo ♱ كرولو

Oct 26, 2020
    When I first listened to Welcome To The Party by Pop Smoke, I found this sound so refreshing and interesting (even though there were some obvious parallels to UK and Chicago sound). I thought that this is exactly how modern New York hip hop should sound: Dark, high energetic beats mixed with grim, aggressive, no bullshitting and fairytailing, lyrics. Since his rise to stardom and his unfortunate passing, dozens of already established artists have adopted that sound and of course newer artists, that already used that sound, were being catapulted into the limelight (most notably Fivio, Sheff, 22Gz, Lil Tjay...). What can I say, I enjoy most of these songs and I guess at the end it comes down to personal preference but I feel like it's starting to oversaturate the market and has not much room for progression. If we being honest most of the instrumentals by the likes of AXL beats and whoever is currently producing like this, sound rather familiar (but are still absolute bangers) but how long will people accept "the same thing over and over again"? Also artists like Drake and French Montana (ok he's from NY but still) that made songs like this, obviously just for riding the hype train don't really help the case. Y'all think Brooklyn drill will survive or will it vanish soon into irrelevance and make place for the next short living trend?

Apr 19, 2024
  3. Fire Squad

Fire Squad Boss Don Biggavel

Oct 26, 2020
    It hasn’t shown signs of slowing down here in my part of NY. Granted we do need another regional star to sort of pick up where Pop left off in breakthrough the mainstream barrier.

Eventually another trend will bubble, for all I know down the line a NY artist might blow up from doing hyperpop, but it’s all speculative for now.

Apr 19, 2024
  4. Chrollo

Chrollo ♱ كرولو

Oct 27, 2020
    Hard, especially Whoopty :sweatt::sweatt:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Apr 19, 2024
  5. Sav Stanfield

Oct 27, 2020
    posting a few that stuck out to me recently

Ordinary Joel, BIGFOOT and Chrollo like this.
    Ordinary Joel, BIGFOOT and Chrollo like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  6. Jeans

Jeans Joe From Family Guy

Oct 26, 2020
    I’ve noticed a lot of the beats are starting to sound similar and by similar I mean the exact same. This means people will either get tired of it, or be fine with that they way they were with trap the last few years. With pop gone, it’s lost a lot of its mainstream appeal I think but I hope it makes it through because there is a lot of potential in the city and the sound

Ordinary Joel, Fire Squad and Chrollo like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Fire Squad and Chrollo like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  7. Chrollo

Chrollo ♱ كرولو

Oct 26, 2020
    Yup it gathered a lot of momentum and will probably continue in doing so for quite a while. I wouldn't be mad at a NY hyperpop artist and thanks to the open mindess for a variety of sounds in Hip Hop, this could totally happen lmao

Buddha, Ordinary Joel and Fire Squad like this.
    Buddha, Ordinary Joel and Fire Squad like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  8. section80lulsection80

Oct 26, 2020
    i hope drill paves the way for a resurgence in the older new york sound, i think it’s a huge step in the right direction for rap as a whole

Ordinary Joel, Chrollo and Lil Squeed like this.
    Ordinary Joel, Chrollo and Lil Squeed like this.
    Apr 19, 2024