Best Posts: Let's have an honest discussion about this old 50 Cent quote....

1. DKC

DKC hank trill

Jan 26, 2021
    "Hey Em, you know you my favorite white boy right? I owe you for this one!"

UltroStretch, Thy, Kujaku67 and 4 others like this.
    UltroStretch, Thy, Kujaku67 and 4 others like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  2. BIGFOOT

BIGFOOT More than a myth!

Jan 25, 2021
    He’s a loyal guy. Riding for Em still after all those years.

Apr 20, 2024
  3. Winter

Winter Super Comfy

Jan 27, 2021
    Beastie Boys got a diamond album

Ordinary Joel, Jay Zeus, Yeez and 2 others like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  4. Kujaku67

Jan 26, 2021
    I don't think Vanilla Ice has much to do with it. The Dre co-sign and Aftermath affiliation made Em seem way more credible than 90% of White rappers.

I think it comes from a fear that Eminem's success is going to have people re-write history on hip hop and overshadow a lot of Black pioneers from the 80's and 90's who influenced him. Eminem(and, by extension, 50 Cent) were a lot of peoples' gateway to hip hop worldwide. Aftermath basically was competing with pop acts like Britney Spears, NSYNC, etc. and helped turn Rap into Pop worldwide.

Interscope also did a fantastic job helping to make Em and 50 marketable in a fashion that many 80's and 90's rappers weren't. There were plenty of technical rappers and gangster rappers back then but most couldn't tap into the Pop market like them. People around the world were dying their hair blonde and dressing like wiggers because of them...lol.

It all comes back to the whole Elvis thing where Black Rock acts from the 50's ended up getting overlooked in favor of Elvis who became "The King of Rock" because of his sales and fame.

Em's in my top 5 and I know a lot of Black people irl who hold him up high as an emcee but I'm able to see it from both perspectives.

Apr 20, 2024
  5. Kujaku67

Jan 27, 2021
    Yeah....anyone who says Eminem isn't at least top 10 is just straight up delusional. Even if you don't feel his style, you've got to at least place him there.

I'm not a big Jay fan but I'd consider him top 10 easily. People let their personal preferences get in the way of giving props.

And you're right....Without Em, 50 and G-Unit definitely wouldn't have blown up the way they did and Aftermath probably would've been a dry label as a whole if he didn't get signed. Honestly, I think 50 might be the 3rd most famous rapper worldwide after Em and Pac because of being signed to Em and being a semi-Pac clone ironically...lol.

Apr 20, 2024