TV Best Posts: Official Paramount+ Thread

1. Tone Riggz

Tone Riggz There's No Cure For Being A C*nt

Feb 24, 2021
    This s--- is turning into cable. Too many apps.

Apr 19, 2024
  2. Proto

Proto drippin so pretty

Feb 27, 2021
    man that rugrats reboot looks like a fever dream

Apr 19, 2024
  3. Swizz

Feb 25, 2021
    I'm gonna copy @Worm with my own breakdown

Netflix - it's the OG so feels weird to even consider whether it's good or not. Who cares, it's Netflix. They have a bunch of terrible stuff but they're also guaranteed to have a handful of the most essential movies or series for any given year. I still use it pretty frequently
    Hulu - If I don't know what to watch Hulu isn't the first service I browse, but honestly, they have really stepped it up with the original content. PEN15, Normal People, The Great, The Act, and Ramy on the TV side plus debuts of Palm Springs and Nomadland. They've really carved out a spot as one of the essential services
    Prime - One of the worst of the major names, but everyone has it, and why wouldn't you? Their original stuff is pretty lacking (Borat a clear exception!!!) and their interface sucks. The plus is that they have a fairly strong catalogue of old movies.
    Criterion - Got a year subscription for my bday and am absolutely loving it. If you're into classic, independent, and/or foreign films you owe it to yourself to give it a shot
    HBO Max - Hands down my favorite. HBO by itself was already essential, but combine that with the rest of the library they added with their Max launch, and the movies debuting throughout the year, and it's pretty much unstoppable.
    Peacock - No thanks lol. I have the free version of this and rarely use it. They have some respectable movies on here but the library is pretty shallow. This is being kept afloat by our generation's unhealthy obsession with The Office
    Apple TV + - Did a free trial of this so I could knock out a few of their originals. It was okay! But honestly felt like I made it through the essentials very quickly. They have some work to do
    Paramount+ - idk, we'll see. I've drawn a line in the sand for myself and intend to avoid subscribing to anything else. But the movie library is pretty impressive and it looks like they're making a pretty strong effort with the original content. I'm going to wait it out

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Apr 19, 2024
  4. Swizz

Feb 25, 2021
    just realized I left out Disney+. I like The Mandalorian and I think Wandavision is okay, but other than that I NEVER use this platform. Nothing I'm interested in on the horizon either, there's only so much Marvel content this world needs. Having said that, I'm sure once my kids hit toddler age this will become essential

Apr 19, 2024
  5. 1999

Feb 25, 2021
    Fr you got

Netflix
    Prime Video if you count that
    Disney+
    HBO Max
    Hulu
    Sling
    YouTube TV
    Peacock
    Now Paramount+

:currydead: who tf is paying for this s---

and this not even counting other more niche streaming like Shudder or Anime s---

Last edited: Feb 25, 2021
    Apr 19, 2024
  6. DKC

DKC hank trill

Feb 25, 2021
    Big cosign on this as a general principle—I think it's important to preserve as much media as possible and make it accessible. It's so sad how many early films are lost due to film deterioration, because even if they're not all great, they're still important pieces of history and cool to see the evolution of film. Now the literal deterioration of film doesn't really happen anymore, but a lot of pre-home video era stuff is hard to access. Amazon Prime especially seems to have every piece of s--- ever made and even if you don't get it for free you can rent it for 99 cents.

If you guys are ever in Seattle post-pandemic, definitely check out Scarecrow Video. Huge video store (almost went under but was saved by becoming a nonprofit) with lots of obscure stuff.

Apr 19, 2024
  7. lil uzi vert stan

Feb 25, 2021
    someone on twitter was complaining wandavision is like those old webisodes that office and xyz did in the late 2000s. like, the definition of inessential tv that barely qualifies.

that said, in defense of both disney+ and amazon, i like the amount of schlock available. like hbo max u get the true classics, and as a lover of rich cinema, its ur best bet outside criterion as u said (or the niche streaming stuff out there). but imo amazon, and even disney have vaults of c-movies from the 70s (or whatever) that ISNT classic but noteworthy in some obscure social science type way. like in oct i actually rly enjoyed watching a bad forgotten horror anthology on amazon for the wife and me to curl to and watch with a big bowl of popcorn..

(and related to ur final pt: been digging the muppet show on disney tbh. i wish someone offered SCTV somewhere; outside snl on peacock its fun to watch an old vaudeville sketch show even if it does star like, kermit lol)

Apr 19, 2024
  8. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Feb 25, 2021
    Should actually merge this with the What are you watching on Netflix thread and just change the title to "What are you Streaming" at this point. In another year there's gonna be less cable channels than streaming options

I have
    Netflix - pay for this
    Hulu - free with ads through cellphone plane
    Disney + - free through cellphone plan
    HBO Max - Angry about this one. I bought 6 months just for WW84, the Denzel movie and Many Saints of Newark. WW84 and the Denzel movie s----d while Many Saints of Newark got moved back
    Amazon Prime - Free with prime subscription. This used to be pretty decent because it included a lot of non amazon shows for free, but now they seem to be charging for more every month, most likely because they belong to other streaming services
    Peacock - lol would never in my life pay for this, but downloaded the free version to watch The Defiant One's again. Figured that would of been on HBO but apparently NBC owns it

Ordinary Joel, DKC and RetiredAccount like this.
    Apr 19, 2024
  9. 1999

Feb 25, 2021
    Who remembers when it was just Netflix, Hulu and Crackle

:SMFH:

Apr 19, 2024