Serious Best Posts: Do You Support the Death Penalty?

1. Sign Language

Sign Language We miss you Screw

Mar 19, 2021
    9 times out of 10 I don’t support the death penalty. Like you said, I don’t trust our court systems and too many innocent people die on death row.

But in the case of mass shooters I’m not really opposed to them being put to death. Then again life in ADX Florence would be worse than death.

Evad, Ordinary Joel, Alpha and 8 others like this.
    Evad, Ordinary Joel, Alpha and 8 others like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  2. Ricky

Ricky Hip-Hop CEO ™

Mar 19, 2021
    If guilt is proven and it's 100 % correct then I'm all for it. If you k---, you deserve to be killed.

asvdawg, Ordinary Joel, Alpha and 6 others like this.
    asvdawg, Ordinary Joel, Alpha and 6 others like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  3. DKC

DKC hank trill

Mar 19, 2021
    @LifeSXN

With some people calling for the death penalty in the ATL shooter thread, it made me wonder what peoples' opinions are here in general.

Personally I do not support the death penalty even though there are some people who I think may "deserve" it. I don't think we/the government should have the right to decide who deserves to die because people have too many differing ideas as to who "deserves" to die and there's too much room for error. I don't trust our court system that much and there's no easy line to draw anyway. If someone is found innocent and exonerated years later, there's nothing you can do if they're already dead.

Apr 25, 2024
  4. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Mar 19, 2021
    Pedophiles should be hung from town squares. There's no rehabilitation for them, and murderers who are proven guilty beyond a doubt, I think that should be up to the victims families. I know personally if someone killed someone close to me I would think death too fast of a sentence. I would rather they live in solitary confinement the rest of their lives with no chance of parole

Apr 25, 2024
  5. WPG

WPG sxn80 Rory Gilmore

Mar 19, 2021
    there are a million practical arguments against it: the cost, which—appeal legal fees included—is astronomical; the chance of wrongly executing someone; the fact that it has not shown to be an effective deterrent. but the bottom line is the state should not be in the business of killing people.

Red, Ordinary Joel, LasiK and 5 others like this.
    Red, Ordinary Joel, LasiK and 5 others like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  6. JMG

JMG Teflon

Mar 19, 2021
    Unless there is reasonable doubt then yes. Take the recent shooter for example.. Why throw him in jail and feed him for the rest of his life? He confessed to killing 8 people so his life is already over. Maybe then we could study his brain and we could actually get somewhere in preventing this. Let the families of victims decide maybe? Some might find comfort in his death.. but maybe some think its an easy way out. I mentioned he should be hung or stoned because I think it would make these people think twice. Make them fear a horrible death. Instead of just going to jail knowing your famous.

But If there is any doubt then no.

asvdawg, Ordinary Joel, Alpha and 5 others like this.
    asvdawg, Ordinary Joel, Alpha and 5 others like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  7. Chrollo

Chrollo Moderator

Mar 19, 2021
    As much as I wish that pedophile b------s get their balls cut off and then left to die, my main concerns are still the countless misjudgements courts all over the world make. So no but kinda yes

Evad, Ordinary Joel, Alpha and 5 others like this.
    Evad, Ordinary Joel, Alpha and 5 others like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  8. Enigma

Enigma Civil liberties > Police safety

Mar 21, 2021
    In the U.S. at least: it cost tax payers more money to sentence someone to death than life in prison. Inmates frequently live on death row for 10+ years.

Ordinary Joel, DKC, Guma and 4 others like this.
    Ordinary Joel, DKC, Guma and 4 others like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  9. BIGFOOT

BIGFOOT More than a myth!

Mar 19, 2021
    100 percent bro, those nonces deserve death.

Over here weed dealers are punished more than sexual predators, the system is f----- smh.

Apr 25, 2024
  10. Ricky

Ricky Hip-Hop CEO ™

Mar 22, 2021
    Court mistakes and evident proof of guilt is 2 different things. I'm talking about cases when it's clearly evident who killed. I'm not saying I'm pro-death penalty for everybody, I feel like you're taking a u-turn on my take, cause I said one thing and you're trying to prove me wrong by saying some other stuff.

Let me be clear: I'm pro-death penalty for people who killed and there's undeniable proof, if they guilt is proven then don't waste tax money for appellation and don't keep them in cage for 10+ years before execution, what's the point? Would you want Ted Bundy out after serving 25+ years? Resocialization doesn't work every time. Sometimes the best way to treat murderers is eye for an eye. It's like playing russian roulette, will this one k---? Or the next one?

There always been, are and will be more innocent people put to death, which is horrible tragedy, but I wasn't talking about this. All I was saying I'm pro-death penalty for people that guilt was proven. @Donkey Kong Country

See, that's what I'm talking about. In some cases appellations just buy time for criminals which has no sense at all to me. This douche caused Boston bombing is alive and appealling and stupid laws allows him to do so.

Ordinary Joel, BIGFOOT, Worm and 3 others like this.
    Ordinary Joel, BIGFOOT, Worm and 3 others like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  11. JMG

JMG Teflon

Mar 19, 2021
    I think society at a large has got it right on this one. I don't care what you call them, they belong in the ground. Seek help? Are you saying there is a cure? Castration maybe.. I'd rather not make them feel comfortable at all. Why give them an excuse?

OwI, Ordinary Joel, Guma and 3 others like this.
    OwI, Ordinary Joel, Guma and 3 others like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  12. DKC

DKC hank trill

Mar 19, 2021
    If there's reasonable doubt then they wouldn't get convicted period in theory. But people have been proven guilty "beyond reasonable doubt" only to be proven innocent and exonerated years later like I said. It's less about this specific instance and more looking at the big picture. I wouldn't lose any sleep over this dude getting the death penalty, but the issue lies in where we draw the line in terms of who "deserves it" and the fact that the courts are flawed/imperfect.

Studies have shown that the death penalty doesn't deter crime.

Red, Ordinary Joel, JEB and 3 others like this.
    Red, Ordinary Joel, JEB and 3 others like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  13. WPG

WPG sxn80 Rory Gilmore

Mar 22, 2021
    i am absolutely arguing that serial killers and child rapists should have the *right* to appeal. the rights to fair trials, legal representation, the presumption of innocence etc. have to be absolutes or they’re worthless.

Apr 25, 2024
  14. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Mar 22, 2021
    The appeals process is a good thing if there is even a little doubt or s-----y evidence was collected. At the same time our appeals process is garbage. Take for example the human piece of s--- Dzhokhar Tsarnaev who helped orchestrate the Boston bombing. This kid has been in prison since 2013 with 100% proof against him. There's literally no doubt whatsoever and he's still appealing. They actually just removed the death penalty against him and changed it to life without parole but may put it back to the death penalty. All they have to do is fill up a pressure cooker with nails and other s--- and throw it in his cell and call it a day

Apr 25, 2024
  15. Enigma

Enigma Civil liberties > Police safety

Mar 21, 2021
    yup. There’s a long appeal process for inmates on death row. All those court hearings add up in cost.

Ordinary Joel, DKC, Guma and 2 others like this.
    Ordinary Joel, DKC, Guma and 2 others like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  16. reservoirGod

reservoirGod reckless adventurer.

Mar 21, 2021
    It's a money grab for lawyers when someone is sentenced to death instead of life without parole.

Apr 25, 2024
  17. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Mar 19, 2021
    I agreed with the bulk of what he was saying. Not everything, so calm down lol. And no I don't think pedophiles can be rehabilitated. I would not want to live next to one and I don't even have kids

OwI, Ordinary Joel, BIGFOOT and 2 others like this.
    OwI, Ordinary Joel, BIGFOOT and 2 others like this.
    Apr 25, 2024
  18. WPG

WPG sxn80 Rory Gilmore

Mar 19, 2021
    yeah, and to my point: i actually don't think it's contradictory at all to say that you believe a person deserves to die in some abstract moral sense, but also that we shouldn't give the state the power to execute them.

Apr 25, 2024
  19. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Mar 22, 2021
    WPG is Dexter in real life and trying to take out the trash himself

Apr 25, 2024
  20. DKC

DKC hank trill

Mar 22, 2021
    No, I'm 100% with you but rereading my post I can see how I came across otherwise. That's the core of what I've been saying this whole time is that these types of laws need to be absolute because if you decide X person doesn't "deserve" to appeal that's just a license to deny appeals to anyone and if you decide X person "deserves" to face the death penalty that's opening up ways to for the government to legally k--- (innocent) people. There's too much room for interpretation and semantics and it's impossible to draw a line in the sand because there's too many variables and opinions and room for error.

Everyone deserves the right to a fair trial and to appeal no matter who you are or what you did—what I meant in response to Rick is that the point of serial killers being able to appeal isn't because I'm super empathetic toward serial killers or anything—it's that we need to give these rights to everyone. Otherwise what's the point?

Apr 25, 2024