Finance Buying Stocks - Investments Thread

Started by Wreckless, Apr 15, 2021, in Life Add to Reading List

1. Wreckless

Apr 15, 2021
    I recently got into investing. Buying stocks to be precise. And I know a few of you guys been in it for a while and probably have a much better understanding of the stock market than I do. So I thought this would be a good place to ask for advice and share information.

There are hundreds of so called professional investors, advisors and Youtubers online who claim to know it all but after spending a considerable amount of time reading up on it and watching videos at end of the day there is no 100% certainty. There is always a bit of gamble.

So just share what stocks you think are good right now. What have you invested in? Good long term stocks? Good penny stocks? What sector do you believe in?

[​IMG]

Apr 26, 2024
  2. Wreckless

Apr 15, 2021
    The most recent stock that I bought today is (NET) CloudFlare. Cloud is the future imo.

I have a few different stocks. ETFs as well. Still learning.

Those who invested in tech stocks right when the pandemic hit must have made a ton of money.

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  3. JMG

JMG Teflon

Apr 15, 2021
    Unlock Protocol

Wreckless and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Wreckless and Ordinary Joel like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  4. icecube

icecube West Coast is the Best Coast

Apr 16, 2021
    I've spent years investing in stocks and shares. Lost a lot, earned a lot. Paid a lot of fees.

My biggest advice to anyone starting out is to try not to think about the short term. And try not to buy individual stocks. In the UK, we have the FTSE100 (I think in America it's something like the NASDAQ?). There will be a fund that shares your money between each of those companies that are in that group. This tends to have lower fees as well which is a welcome bonus.

As far as investing goes, there are 3 key words you have to have full understanding of to benefit and plan for your future:
    1. Diversify. Owning 1 or 2 stocks could either make you very rich, or very poor. Too much risk. Owning 100+ different stocks in multiple different sectors keeps you safe. Won't make you a millionaire overnight but won't make you broke either. Just look back at the past 10-20 years at graphs of "the stock market" in general and you'll see nothing but an upward trajectory (excluding this Covid s--- show).
    2. Dividend. A dividend is a company GIVING a share of its profits back to their shareholders. The more you own, the more you earn. You'll earn more money in the long run from a company that is stable (not too many ups and downs) on the stock market that pays a 5% dividend than you would from a company that doesn't pay dividends and fluctuates daily (let the experts that are paid $100k+ a year trade these).
    3. Compound and reinvestment. I've put these together as they go hand in hand. That $1000 you've just just invested in a fund that pays a 5% dividend will be pay you $50 next year. Automatically reinvesting this $50 will mean that you now have $1050 of you don't add any more of your own money. Next year, when you get your 5% dividend again, you'll get 5% of $1050, not $1000. Meaning you'll earn a profit of $52.50. Rinse and repeat and fast forward 30 years (again, think long term always) and that original $1000 is worth $4467.74 (do the math or use a compound calculator). Compound simply means you earn interest on top of the "free" money you've been given by the same company.

Happy to held with any kind of advice any of you may want. But I don't trade shares for a quick buck, I invest a slow and steady stream of cash into the market and enjoy seeing my later life look almost luxurious.

Ordinary Joel and Wreckless like this.
    Ordinary Joel and Wreckless like this.
    Apr 26, 2024
  5. Wreckless

Apr 16, 2021
    I think you're refering to ETFs or index funds. Basically a stock that can contain like 10 different companies. I have a few of those and individual stocks as well. It's more risky with individual stocks for sure but they can also pay off the most.

Great advice. Thanks for posting.

Apr 26, 2024
  6. dkdnfbdjdkdddjdjfvcgfl

Jul 19, 2021
    100 shares of AMC & holding. Anyone else in on this short squeeze frenzy thats goin on?

Thoughts on people sayin these stocks (AMC, GME, Blackberry) can potentially hit hundreds of thousands of dollars a share once the hedgies start covering? Almost sounds too good to be true but imma hold & find out.

Apr 26, 2024