Best Posts: Week 3 Discussion (1986, 1987, 1988, 1989)

1. jankland

jankland In My Cringe Arc.

May 30, 2021
    I actually liked 6 n the mornin the flow kinda reminded me of the beginning of the easy e verse in boyz-n-da-hood idk if it's just me though

I also wasn't aware that this is where gangster rap started to rear it's head so I can definitely see the songs importance and it's been cool to see the early progression of the artform even if some of it is a little archaic

Also I brought it up in the last thread but I do know walk this way I think I have a bias for this song cause I used to play a lot of guitar hero and that was in guitar hero Aerosmith lmao

Mar 28, 2024
  2. Chrollo

Chrollo ♱ كرولو

May 28, 2021
    Crazy how the rappers with the most politically charged content (Ice t and Ice Cube) ended up being frequently casted as police officers. And no one deserves the title God MC more than Rakim. For me Paid In Full (the album) has always been Hip Hop in it's purest form. Next to SOC (the album) is this really the only 80s Hip hop album I frequently revisit. Also I get why LL Cool J hasn't got a spot on this list since the competition is too d--- strong but I still think he was very important, being one of the first Hip Hop solo artists and all. I think songs like I'm Bad or I Need Love are good contenders for 87's rebuttal, but I like KRS One too lol

Mar 28, 2024
  3. Chrollo

Chrollo ♱ كرولو

May 30, 2021
    That s--- was funny as h--- lmao

DKC, Ordinary Joel and jankland like this.
    DKC, Ordinary Joel and jankland like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  4. jankland

jankland In My Cringe Arc.

May 30, 2021
    Paid in full was pretty enjoyable albeit a little short and the comparisons with Rakim and Jordan were well thought out even though I think a couple points were reaching a little to find a similarity but it's crazy that Rakim really came in and changed the game or that's at least the impression I get from the little I know

I also listened to I need love and it kinda goes but it reminded me of a infinitely better version of turquoise jeep music if y'all have ever heard of them before lmao

9mm goes b--- is strange cause there's some weird s--- in there to turn me off but it's almost what makes me like it? It's very strange

Also sometimes the author gives me these kinda vibes with the way he describes some of his favorite artists wandavision-what-is-grief-if-not-love-persevering-6.jpg

I'm also probably gonna finish this weeks reading tomorrow or at least try to

P.S. I'm happy I was reminded of that Donald Glover quote cause it's f---ing great lol

DKC, Ordinary Joel and Chrollo like this.
    DKC, Ordinary Joel and Chrollo like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  5. DKC

DKC hank trill

May 28, 2021
    Also, Do the Right Thing is one of my top five favorite movies of all time and I can’t think of Fight the Power without thinking of Radio Raheem.

I haven’t reread that chapter yet so I can’t remember if it was in this book or not, but I remember reading that Chuck D thought he was too old to be a rapper when he was like 24—yet here he is, still dropping albums 30 years later.

Mar 28, 2024
  6. Chrollo

Chrollo ♱ كرولو

May 28, 2021
    As much as I love Childrens story, SOC is the only acceptable answer for '88. It's also amazing that you can pretty much see the jump to gangsta rap and lyrical, conscious rap starting with 6 In The Morning and Paid In Full respectively, which are still today the biggest forms of Hip Hop. That had to be a great time to be around and witness. Also lmao at Ice T killing a comically insane amount of people on his songs.

jankland, Ordinary Joel and DKC like this.
    jankland, Ordinary Joel and DKC like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  7. DKC

DKC hank trill

May 28, 2021
    For whatever reason, I’ve always thought of Straight Outta Compton as the album that ushered in “modern” hip-hop. It’s the earliest rap album I can think of off the top of my head that doesn’t feel dated in the same way a lot of early 80s rap does. That doesn’t mean there isn’t good rap albums before this, but it‘s still such an incredible album to this day.

Mar 28, 2024
  8. DKC

DKC hank trill

May 25, 2021
    @BookClub

Since it seems enough people are caught up/in the process of catching up, I'm gonna keep at it! Next week is the 90s, and there's much more room to debate from here on out.

Picks:
    1986: Ice-T - "6 in the Mornin"
    1987: Eric B & Rakim - "Paid in Full"
    1988: N.W.A. - "Straight Outta Compton"
    1989: Public Enemy - "Fight the Power"

Rebuttals:
    1986: Run-DMC - "Walk This Way"
    1987: Boogie Down Productions - "9mm Goes b---"
    1988: Slick Rick - "Children's Story"
    1989: Tone Loc - "Wild Thing"

Questions:
    1. Which picks do you agree with?
    2. Which picks do you disagree with—and do you agree with the rebuttals? If not, what song would you nominate?
    3. Importance (or lack thereof) aside, which of these songs do you like or dislike?
    4. Were there songs you'd never heard before?
    5. Discuss any interesting facts that stood out to you!

Please ask any other questions you come up with!

Mar 28, 2024