Best Posts: Thoughts on Ingmar Bergman

1. PissPissedofferson

Jun 22, 2021
    I am still waiting for this: https://www.indiewire.com/2016/10/ingmar-bergman-script-made-into-film-suzanne-osten-1201740712/

I watched Scenes from a Marriage back in the early 2000s, and it is one of his masterpieces. Since then I have lost count but I believe I have seen at least 30 films of his. Undoubtedly a genius. Someone to pay close attention to if you consider yourself a lover of intelligent cinema. The Seventh Seal, Wild Strawberries, Winter Light, Scenes and Fanny and Alexander are simply phenomenal. The worst part is running out, inching closer and closer to completion of his films.

Twan, lil uzi vert stan and Swizz like this.
    Twan, lil uzi vert stan and Swizz like this.
    Mar 28, 2024
  2. Twan

Jun 13, 2021
    Bergman is obviously great, a filmmaker who is a gateway to arthouse cinema for many but whose work holds up on its own. Persona is a personal favorite of mine which, despite its familiarity and its influence, never loses its power. Watched the TV version of Scenes of a Marriage for the first time recently and found it pretty revelatory.

On a related note, Mia Hansen-Love is debuting a film named after Bergman at Cannes this summer.
    BERGMAN ISLAND (2021) - Tim Roth, Mia Wasikowska - HD Trailer - VOSTF - YouTube

Mar 28, 2024
  3. PissPissedofferson

May 30, 2021
    Very interesting question, sir. As someone who has seen most of Woody Allen's films I think I would be the right person to answer and contribute. Aside from the controversial side of this filmmaker, Woody Allen to me has always been a comic, a comedian who has made comedic films until he had some sort of epiphany or creative awakening around 78-80 and everything changed. He suddenly had bigger aspirations. He had made his firm Bergman-esque film in 78 called Interiors. When Allen met Ingmar Bergman, they sat in a limo discussing sandwiches, an old amusing entertainment story. During this same conversation Bergman mentioned his favorite Allen film, and it was with no great surprise, Interiors. A film closely resembling a Bergman film, but without being a blatant copy of one of his films.

I want to take a moment and state that while Woody Allen has always entertainment me, his dramatic contributions need to be looked upon carefully. Mimicry? Homage? Or blatant ripping off... Arguments can be made. Dostoevsky inspired Love and Death (although a comedy), Crimes and Misdemeanors, Match Point, Cassandra's Dream and Irrational Man. Fellini inspired Stardust Memories (a poorman's copy of 8 1/2) and Celebrity (La Dolce Vita). And of course Bergman inspired Interiors, September, Deconstructing Harry (Wild Strawberries). Issue I have with some of these is that it does take away from the films that he heavily references, almost re-makes. This is most evident with his Fellini homages and Deconstructing Harry. It does rob the viewer and his potential future experience if he were to go back and watch the originals that inspired the Allen films. 8 1/2 and La Dolce Vita not to mention Wild Strawberries are masterpieces and Allen's homages are fine... they are fine. Could they be seen as lighthearted retreads to introduce American audience to these wonderful international filmmakers? Potentially. But it also goes back to my view that while very smart, Allen has always struck me as a pseudo-intellectual. There is inspiration and there is forgery.

In the end I will always enjoy his comedic efforts and if asked, I will honestly say that Annie Hall, Manhattan, Hannah and Her Sisters, Crimes and Misdemeanors and Match Point are some of my favorite films of his. But I do recommend that people educate themselves, understand the history of his inspiration and also understand that he is remaking something that will never match the originals.

Mar 28, 2024
  4. lil uzi vert stan

May 30, 2021
    @PissPissedofferson there's apparently an endless trove of critiques of woody allen these days. my question for you, as a scholar, do you dock points from him for obviously lifting and being inspired by bergman? in other words, were fans of allen grading him on a curve b/c maybe they hadnt seen bergman's original works first?

and thats awesome about your trip - always wanted to go to sweden. where did you fly in/visit?

also @Twan get itt

Mar 28, 2024