Any help on how and if I should...

Started by aleeex1923, Jan 21, 2022, in Life Add to Reading List

1. aleeex1923

Jan 21, 2022
    Ask for a raise at my current job.

I got this job for 8 months now and in the beginning the project was new and me and another guy were the only 2 that started and now the team expanded to 6. I work from home and the company is from a different country and I have to pay my own taxes where I live.

I'm starting by telling you that I didn't knew in the beginning how much to ask, had a decent job at that time, didn't think I would land this one also did some research and since where I live the average sallary is 500$-600$ I was going to be extra happy to work from home and earn 3 times that.

However, I learned that I'm the only one that earns 2050$(I pay 350$) and I'm left with 1700$ net while my other colleagues are earning from 2900$ to 3500$ a month net (after taxes). We all doing the exact same thing.

Also my expenses, loans and bills are 1000$ so I'm left with 700$ a month.

However, is sensitive since I'm from another country I have a contract that can end whenever each of the parts want and I'm kind of afraid to ask for one cause if I lose this job with this sallary it will be close to impossible during these times for me to get something as good as this, where I live.

Any advices if I should ask for one and how to approach it would help? I'm kinda lost in taking this decision lol

Ordinary Joel likes this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  2. Worm

Worm Big Perm Big Worm

Jan 21, 2022
    If you can, apply for another job as backup if possible so you can use that for leverage and a safety net in case things do go wrong. If it was a salaried job I'd say just talk to your boss and if they say no then whatever, but since it sounds like you're a contractor they may just replace you. I don't know what the environment is like there though. If it was me I'd put time on my managers calendar and before the meeting put a list together of your responsibilities for the job. The responsibilities you were hired for and then any additional ones you have now. If you have more than when you started, you can say you were hired to do a specific job and have since been given more work and you'd like a raise to reflect that.

Also let them know that you know your colleagues pay and you want to be paid at least the same. Asking for a bit more wouldn't hurt as you can negotiate this. But again it depends on the atmosphere of the office and your relationship with your manager. If people are easily replaced, or there's a quick turnover rate, asking for a raise might not be a great idea. #FRIGO #SMSAUDIO

DKC, Ordinary Joel and aleeex1923 like this.
    DKC, Ordinary Joel and aleeex1923 like this.
    Apr 20, 2024
  3. aleeex1923

Jan 21, 2022
    Thank you, this was very helpful, I appreciate it

Apr 20, 2024
  4. Inanna

Jan 21, 2022
    s---t your shot, worse thing they could say is no. If your work is equivalent or better, I think you have a good chance. I’ve personally never heard of someone being let go for asking.

Ordinary Joel and aleeex1923 like this.
    Ordinary Joel and aleeex1923 like this.
    Apr 20, 2024